WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mech Tech CCU

Before this is reclassified they will have to reclassify all the switch barrel weapons out there, like the TC Encore/contender and the new TC Switch barrel and a few others I can't think of right now.

Other tips??????

I don't like the fact that it is not easy to take completly apart to do a detailed cleaning. Tehy reccomend you clean the barrel as you would any other rifle, but use one of the spay cleaners to flood out the dirt and grim (which I have done twice) snd then use a spray lube to lube it.

I normally clean what I can get to with a Q-tip and Breakfee CLP. I do ensure that I put a few drops in the back side of the firing pin and hold the gun with the muzzel down to let the CLP work it's way through the bolt so the firing pin moves freely.

There are two types of malfunctions I have had so far;
    Failure to feed - mag issues - Dirty! Cleaned the mags and problem went away.

Failure to eject last round of the mag - caught in the ejection port. Don't know if this was caused by Dirty Mag, Dirty Chamber, or the rounds I was using were border line and the loads should have been heavier. Documentation states for best results use +P loads. Mine are not. According to Quick Load I am at least 3/10s of a grain under max for a standard load. As this only happens once or twice per 100 rounds - I am not really worried about it. If I were going to use it to hunt with, I would take the load to the MAX and only use that one for hunting.

I have decided to go with the Lee 45 230 TC boolit as my standard 'plinking load'. This was after spending about 3 hours casting up a bunch of the Lee clone of the RCBS 45-230-CM boolit (6 cavity group buy a few years ago) . Oh well those are the ones that I would use for hunting - guess I don't have to cast anymore of them - I probably have 10 life times supply of them I dug out the 45-230-TC and I will start casting them tomorrow (it is a 6 banger too).

Haven't had a chance to shoot in the last few days - weather hasn't been the greatest and while my range drains well - everything else is wet to include my bench. Looked down there a few hours ago and I could still see puddels. Rained this morning again.
    Big Bore = 45+

Vendor Sponsor

We want pics,,, please.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy,

Range or CCU - Both?????

Tomorrow

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Pictures of CCU

Ok Randy you asked for them;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scope and 2 point sling.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	57264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Irons and single point sling.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	57265

The one on the left of course has the scope and 2 point sling. That is a standard yard stick above the rifle.
    I tried to find the web site for the single point sling but no such luck. The card I have has a general web site but no real information. It has a velcro attachment to the rifle - works ok and you can switch it fron one rifle to another (AR style) quick and easy.

Some Range Pic's incase that is what you were asking about

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	From.50.yards.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	57266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Targets.1..jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	57267

Drew
    Last edited by MGySgt; 01-01-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: add text
    Big Bore = 45+

Vendor Sponsor

Drew; thanks for the pics.

I like this gun! One of the main things I like is the .45 ACP part. Nice and compact, and I like the AR stock as well. Maybe I should find another Glock 21 and get the top end for it from these guys.

Part of the reason I got the Kel Tec was to have a gun that was nice and short like these and used Glock mags as my pistols are Glocks, but there are no .45 ACP's in the Kel-Tec gun. So it was a compromise. It does fold in half however which is a good thing, but it would be the best of both worlds if it came in .45 and folded in half.

Being able to use a 1911 lower with the safeties would be a good way to be configure this gun. The Glock version wouldn't have that option. I don't think a Glock trigger safety alone would be sufficient on a rifle.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy I agree about the Glock safety - I don't like them on a pistol either - why I don't know because a revolver sure doesn't have a safety on it. Maybe the trigger block that is soft rubber (or whatever) that goes behind the trigger. It would be a force fit so it could stay in place with a short lanyard (3 or 4 inches) on it attached to the rifle (trigger guard). That would eliminate and inadvertant trigger pull, you should be able to push it out with your trigger finger. Just a thought.

8 to 11 rounds of 45 sure would be a good fight stopper.

Also with the Picatinny rail system you can add any attachment that you would put on the AR's. As a matter of fact the iron sights are for the AR. And change them at a whim. I remove and replace the scope and iron sights whenever I choose. The scope goes back to zerro as long as I remember to push it forward in the slot and push it from the none moveable side (opposite of the thumb screws) when I put it back on. I only tighten them down by hand - found it groups better (doesn't tork the scope). This is a one piece mount - don't know if the weaver style with thumb screws would work as well.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Chronograph

Finally dug out the chronograph and set it up and did some testing.

Here is the results:

Lee 230gr TC, 6.1 grains of Unique in WCC 84 (Mil spec) Brass

Gun shot 1 shot 2 shot 3 shot 4 shot 5 ES Averg SD
    Kimber 842 848 856 827 858 31 846 12
    1911 870 870 901 894 894 31 886 15
    Carbine1064 1077 1064 1071 1055 22 1066 8

RCBS 230 CM, 7.0 grains of Unique, TZZ 85 Brass

Gun shot 1 shot 2 shot 3 shot 4 shot 5 ES Averg SD
    Kimber 889 881 912 862 876 50 884 18
    1911 930 895 935 913 903 40 915 17
    Carbine1144 1157 1161 1140 1146 21 1149 8

The kimber is 4.25 in, 1911 is 5 in and the carbine is 16.
    Last edited by MGySgt; 04-09-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    Hey there, Master Gunnery Sergeant. When was you in the Corps? I served Oct. 1969-1973, made Sgt. in 3 yrs. Vietnam '71-'72 with Marine All Weather Attack Squadron 224 out of Cherry Pt. NC. We went aboard the USS Coral Sea after flying to NAS Alameda, CA. You must have made a career out of it being a MGySgt.

I've been following this thread for a while now and you've sure got my interest up on the 1911 CCU. I'd love to have a .45 acp carbine. Sounds like you're having too much fun with that toy. Lol. Now I've gotta save up my spare change and get me one of them their carbines. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Semper Fi Brother!

Feb 70 - Feb 96, I was in and out of Nam a few times in 71 - 72 as part of a reactionary Bn from Oki. Don't ask me where I was, we were in and out in a few days to a week and never the same place twice. They sure don't tell LCpl's much!

Made a slight mod to the 1911 frame I use for the CCU - changed the Mag release to right handed. It was a PITA to change Mags with the standard mag release.

Two things I don't like about shooting it - sure does put a hurtin on your lead supply and picking up the brass - I swear the brass morphs to a different world and then about an hour latter it comes back so you can find it, maybe!
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    Semper Fi, my friend. Ohhhh Rahhhh. I was in the Tonkin Gulf so I knew where we were most of the time. Just wouldn't want to revisit that duty station as I'd have quite the swim. They called it Yankee Station. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

I'm getting my ccu back from the factory this week. I sent it in to have a few things tweaked, mainly having it bored out to 460 Rowland. I shoot mine just about everyday, and I wanted a little more out of it. It's an awesome piece of gear and functions flawlessly. Any info on 460 performance would be great.

Boolit Master
    Have a first model with metal "grease gun " stock.Red dot scope.Works great.AKA "Thumper "