Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first 1911

What Hichory said.....

2 handguns I simply feel I must always have available to me. A 1911 and a .357 Magnum (preferably a S&W).

I'll warn you up front, careful. Them 1911's can become an addiction all their own. Shoot it and get comfortable with it, and you'll understand what Hickory and I are sayin'.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    I am a 1911 aficionado. The plastic guns just don't do it for me, although I do keep an M&P loaded on the nightstand. Mainly because I know it is not going to jam, and it holds fifteen shots .Enjoy your 1911.They are fun to cast and load for.
    They can be as accurate as you want them to be.
    Last edited by Clay M; 06-17-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    has anyone ever used a 1911 nornco? I found one on the cheap, but I have no review.

qualcuno ha mai usato una 1911 nornco ? ne ho trovata una a poco prezzo , ma non ho nessuna recensione .

Boolit Master

Jim,

Glad to see that great minds think alike. I own 2 full-size RIA 1911 Govt. Models. One in the sainted 45ACP and the other is setup for switch-barrel performance in 9mm Luger/38 Super. I find it hard to decide which of the 3 calibers I like more to shoot out of that model of pistol. My next setup will be to configure my 45ACP into a 45ACP/.400 Corbon switch-barrel setup.

Bruce
    Last edited by bruce drake; 06-17-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master
    This will very likely be my last handgun. A friend is sending some brass and a mold, so I will be shooting it. It will, however, be carried many thousands of hours more than it will be fired.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It will, however, be carried many thousands of hours more than it will be fired.
    Just be sure you shoot it enough to know that it is reliable.The 1911 is like an extension of my hand ,because that is what I have shot for the last thirty years.

Boolit Master

Jim

Nice looking piece of hardware lyin' there.

I came across one and it followed me home. Sure hard to used to funny things like a safety, and magazines . . .

Who woulda guessed you would need such things on a handgun?

Heck i am used to a gun where you just open up the cylinder pop 6 rounds in and it is ready to go for whatever.

IF I can get a couple of thousand rounds down the tube it might begin to feel sorta "Natural" in my hand.

So far mine digests hardball and the old Lee 195 SWC with light and medium heavy loads without a hiccup.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Vendor Sponsor

I carried a Colt Commander for many years in Virginia, wore holes in 3 car seats with it, pulled it on a crackhead with a knife at my motel room door, pulled it on two different guys who assailed my car at different times, one in the turn lane of a red light in DC of all frikkin places, guess he thought I was stuck at the light and couldn't do nothing. Mmmm right. 3 times lucky, 3 times got through it without firing a shot.

The one thing I would say to a CCW holder in VA or NC, prolly the other states too, is do NOT carry handloads on the street.. There are courts that will utterly villify the most law abiding citizen in the world and that my friend, is a huge liability that they will not fail to sieze upon and make a spectacle out of, in front of a jury..

Buy some good defensive ammo, some 230gr +P hollowpoints, carry those, shoot the cast at the range.

I've got it's Para Ordnance LTC distant cousin on layaway which should be in my mitts by August 20. My second 1911 will be either the RIA Tactical or the RIA 2011, not sure if I want the rail or not.
    http://armedliberalinmo.blogspot.com/
    NRA Certified Trainer
    Bowers v. DeVito "...there is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered."
    Partner, Olsen Training Group

Quote Originally Posted by beppe View Post
    has anyone ever used a 1911 nornco? I found one on the cheap, but I have no review.

qualcuno ha mai usato una 1911 nornco ? ne ho trovata una a poco prezzo , ma non ho nessuna recensione .
    The Norinco is a fine pistol, made in China and therefore
    no longer importable into the USA.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    Just be sure you shoot it enough to know that it is reliable.....
    Oh, for sure! I had no intention of just loading it and carrying it. A very good friend is sending me a set of milspec panels, a mold and a bunch of brass.

Having never owned a 1911, I've got a lot of shooting to do to get familiar and comfortable with it.

Boolit Master

Not to cause a thread drift here, and you should carry what you have confidence in, but how many times does the "don't carry hand loads for self defense" myth have to be put to bed?

If its a righteous shoot it won't matter, if it's not, it won't matter either!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Not to cause a thread drift here, and you should carry what you have confidence in, but how many times does the "don't carry hand loads for self defense" myth have to be put to bed?

If its a righteous shoot it won't matter, if it's not, it won't matter either!
    I saw DougGuy's comment. To be fair and in defense of the gentleman, he's only been with us a coupla' months. I'm sure he doesn't know this has been cussed and discussed ad nauseum.

Doug, this started several years back when Massad Ayoob wrote a book on self defense. He stated that using handloads could result in that being brought up by the DA or the counselor for the plaintiff in a civil suit.

Many attempts were made to contact Mr. Ayoob asking for the facts on which he based his statements. To my knowledge and as best my memory serves me, no one ever got a response from him.

Furthermore, while a very long thread on this subject was active, many people went looking for documentation on court cases where the use of handloads was brought up. Again, to the best of my memory, the closest thing found concerned the choice of calibers, not handloads.

Others also researched state statutes looking for restrictions or laws forbidding the use of handloads in a self defense situation. I don't remember anyone finding anything.

The idea that using handloads will cause problems is a myth that has never been proven. Honestly, the only reason I have posted on this is because 'ThePerfesser' did and I have a lot of respect for the gentleman.

Just because I started this thread does not mean I have any authority here. I would, however, respectfully ask that this subject either be dropped or started somewhere else. Honestly, I hope that doesn't happen either.

Vendor Sponsor

Advice taken..

I can however report from firsthand experience what they did to me for a condition one carry in NC. I got stopped with the previously mentioned Commander laying in the front seat. The officer said it was concealed. He claimed that when I stopped, the shirt that HE found covering the weapon, MUST have been laying in the seat and just happened to fall over enough to cover the pistol as I applied the brakes. Since he was obviously going out of his way to insure he won his conviction and earn him some brownie points, he charged me with carrying it concealed. That alone, gave him probable cause to do whatever he wanted after that. He hauled me to the station, said I had the right to call an attorney to be present when he administered the breathalyzer. After using up over 20mins of the 30mins allotted by law to call an attorney, and getting some numbers that were no longer in service, I noticed the phone book was 19yrs old! At 27mins in, they produced another phone book, this one 8yrs old. At the end of 30mins, I explained to him that he had willfully violated my civil rights and that I would not be agreeing to further assist him in his less than legal efforts by submitting to a breathalyzer.

Since I could call my boss and let him know I would not be coming in to work, we had a few words about the big boss and just casual construction worker talk, no big deal, I made an offhand comment about somebody needs to stick a knife in his back and show him the same treatment he had been doing to everybody else on the job with his backstabbing bullsh*t. Buddy, when that got to court, I was out to go on a shooting rampage, had my gun loaded and ready to kill somebody, had the hammer cocked and was just tearing down the highway in NC looking for somebody to kill! I couldn't believe how they trumped this up out of thin air and some of the sh*t that came out of his mouth and went into evidence!

The officer lied again and again and again, claimed he administered field sobriety tests 3x and I failed them 3x when the truth is he never gave it once, said I had a STRONG odor of alcohol (even though I was going to work, like I am going to walk into a jobsite hammered, ya right), said I staggered and had to lean on my vehicle for support when walking back to his trooper car. The DA and the state trooper have this memorized, you can barely get a word in edgewise once they get their dialog and statements of evidence going. It's almost hilarious, like a bad 70s sitcom. Had a really tough time even getting a lawyer to take my case, the NC state police are tight knit, invincible in court, and you will NOT WIN your case if you fall victim to the same trap I fell into. My lawyer wouldn't even bring up the 20th century phone books in court, he sucked just about as bad as the trooper. They probably golf buddies, which is where much of the real litigation occurs from what I hear. Had I appealed the decision, based on violation of my civil rights, I could have won that but the word came down to me that if you think this was a railroad job, you ain't seen NOTHING like presenting it in front of a jury, and if I "troubled" the court there and didn't win, I would do 6 months to a year for the concealed charge.

It's a poor county there, no manufacturing, most of the residents are on welfare, no business infrastructure, the only income the county has, comes from forcible extortion of hapless motorists like me. The lawyers call the area there "East of Jesus." And since they all have to depend on each other for income, neither will do anything to take money out of the county coffers by letting an outsider win in court. I won't even journey to that side of the state anymore. US rt17 corridor from Virginia down to Wilmington.

In the end, the judge ordered my Commander destroyed, I fully believe that actually happened. Yeah. Right. Wouldn't surprise me to see the upper for sale on ebay or learn it is in the arresting officer's possession permanently.

I was a VA resident with a VA license and tag when that went down, and was just moving to NC. I still live in NC, safely far enough away from the 17 corridor and the corrupt state trooper's district, and my edc is now a striker fired Kahr instead of another decent and expensive 1911. We vacation in the mountains of NC and VA, as opposed to the Eastern side of NC and the outer banks.

Let me apologize for the rant. This is the exact kind of situation I am referring to, aside from any argument against handloads from one Mr. Ayoob. I have read a bunch of his stories, but at least this one came first hand and not from the gun rags. Sadly, the Politics Of Podunk is still alive and well in the US.

Respectfully, back to topic.. I am sure you will enjoy your RIA. I would. You are a well spoken writer and I enjoy your posts.. Thank you for filling me in..
    Last edited by DougGuy; 06-18-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I'm a revolver person, BUT not having a 1911 is like not having two arms or two legs.
    I like mine. And there is no reason to hotrod a 1911, function matters most.
    Hi Hickory.
    That was an awesome decription!! In fact it was so inspiring to me that I have decided to buy one. I've actually thought about it off and on for a long time, but never followed through.
    I have a Belgian made 9mm Browning that I am going to sell and then start looking for a .45.
    Probably should add that I know nothing about .45's really.

Boolit Master

Jim - I apologize for the thread drift, not trying to get topic away from your new 1911. But the "no hand loads for self defense" notion comes up like a bad burrito from time to time and since this forum is devoted to truth I just wanted to say something about it.

DougGuy - wasn't trying to poke at you or make fun of your idea, sounds like you had a really bad experience with the legal system. But as I said, and as Jim concurred, there have been several threads here concerning this issue and no one has found a case in American law where hand loads used in a self defense scenario caused any legal issues.

Jim, if you would like some free boolits for your new gun let me know, I'll be glad to send you some to try. I have several styles and weights I'd be glad to share.

Again my apologies to all, nothing personal.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If I got in a shooting scrape, and investigators searched my home, I think it would be much more damning to have a partial box of the latest factory zombie killers, and everything else here is cast boolits. "Splain dat one, Lucy!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    Way to go I have had 4 different 1911's and I loved them the first 2 I sold to get something else and I was always kicking my self for it. The othe two I just bought last week. A remington and a taurus. You will love it.

Boolit Grand Master
    No apologies are expected and none are required. I'm not the least bit upset or offended by anyone. On the contrary, I was impressed with how the dialog was conducted.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on the 1911. They are my favorite handguns that I own.