Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fathers Day 2013! What did you do and what did you get?

Fathers Day 2013! What did you do and what did you get?

I ate kipper snacks with coffee for breakfast, read my Yeager book, watched “The Dirty Dozen”, talked on the phone for an hour with my brother, napped, went to the sportsmen’s club to terrorize 6 clay birds in some mud with a .22 caliber rifle, lit some burn barrels and stayed until dark. Brought out the folding chairs and table, set up the hurricane lamp and hand crank radio. Looked at the stars, lightning bugs and watched the storm clouds in the distance with some brilliant flashes of lightning and a small crash of thunder or two. Read some more and enjoyed a couple of hard rolls with cold cuts and cheese. Taught a slice of chocolate cake and a glass of rich chocolate milk a thing or two. Was given a gold colored pocket watch engraved with my initials on the back and a cardinal on the front. Also received a CD with my favorite bird calls and some original violin music. Raided the indoor range and scored at least 50lbs of range scrap from the backstop with minimal effort and 15 minutes.

Spent the whole day with my daughter and enjoyed many laughs.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Kid came home for the weekend(first time in awhile) and got up, did a few chores, went to Crested Butte and had pizza for lunch. Came home, put tape in VCR and taped the U.S. Open and went to the movie and saw Superman. Ate too much popcorn and drank too much soda. Went home and had a stomach ache from all the junk.
    Pretty good day

Boolit Master

Well it was complicated. My son and his GF are currently in Memphis. In the next month, they will be moving back to WI. Cassandra was in the Madison VA hospital for one week as part of her final internship for becoming a full fledged dietician. She come up to Oshkosh to look for housing.

She called Friday asking if she could come here to weed my garden! She thought of that all by herself, no urging from me.(I suspect Matt had something to do with it). Saturday morning she called, she was at the farmers market, could she bring me anything? I said a couple of slicer cucumbers or some kohlrabi would be nice, also she had my stepdaughter with her, could she come along? COINTENLY! No cucs, but 5 nice fresh kohlrabi's.

They proceeded to declare war on the weeds in my onion plants, and other stuff. My lower back has gotten so bad I can hardly bend over for more than a couple of minutes. Then Cass said the lawn needed cutting, could she do that? I resisted, even though it was long past needing cutting. She polished that off in short order.

I got a call from Matt on Saturday, he had just finished his second 3-gun match at the local Memphis gun club. Had to tell dad all about it! Got another call last night to wish me a happy fathers day.

All in all, I had a super fathers day weekend. Thanks to the thoughtfulness of my future daughter-in-law and my stepdaughter and son.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Bub
    I replaced the wiper assembly in the van, replaced the rear wiper motor, and rewired a tail light. Should pass inspection now.

For a gift, I got a membership to a local shooting range.

Had dinner with the in-laws; good times and good conversation.

Boolit Master
    My son came over, and we went out and rang some steel for a couple hours. Then back to my place where son grilled a couple of great steaks. We talked ate steaks and sipped a bit of whiskey. Life was GOOD yesterday.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Grand Master

My christmas present to myself finally came in Saturday. A CSharps Remington Hepburn reproduction in 45-90. Spent saturday evening cleaning oiling and drooling over it. LOL. Sunday morning got up and loaded the gear up (including the new rifle). Worked with a friend who is borrowing my Sharps to try in a BPCR shiloette match next weekend. He got his 200 yd zero loved the rifle and ammo. He has 100 rds of my paper patched loads to use. I then proceeded to start breaking in zeroing the New Hepburn. I had 30 rds loaded waiting for this day. I came home My daughter called wishing me a Happy Fathers day and updating me on the grandsons growths and new discoveries He is 19 months now and pretty much everything is new to him. My Son came over and we talked and he put the new brake rotor on my Thunderbird. ( I think he did it for a reason to test drive it) I then got ready to mow the lawn but decided to wait.

I went to church and got a touching sermon about a girl that went to school wanting to tell her story about dad at a "bring your dad to school day". He wasn't there and the story started as possiblely leaning towards a dead beat dad story but she went on about what she learned from her dad and the story finished with dad being too far away in heaven because of a road side bomb in Iraq. There wasn't a dry eye in the house.

I called dad and got him to talk about grandpa and had a great time listening. He passed away before I came around. And I have just one short memory of my mom's dad.

Latter in the day we cooked T bones on the grill and took the kids to see the movie EPIC and had good time with the family.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

In Remembrance
    I asked The Lord for a wind-free day so I could spray broadleaf weeds in my pastures. He granted that request yesterday.

What did I do? ... I sprayed weeds.
    What did I get? ... Sunburned.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Free trip to Fogo de Chao.
    Whatever!

Love Life
    Got a call from my wife and daughter 1st thing in the morning. Then I took the dog with me to go trout fishing. Caught a few, but released them. Then I went and cut a few 2X6 boards in half with my Colt Commander. All in all a good day.

Boolit Grand Master

My family allowed me to take all of them out for lunch. Cards and well wishes from each and I got to enjoy my grandson for several hours.
    Good thing I ate a good stake, cause this morning I had 7 teeth pulled. Guess it's soup for a couple days.

Boolit Master

My Army son and his wife called from Germany; I learned that they and their kids went to dinner and her beer cost less than his Coke !
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

It was a great day all around! All BBQ, all day! Two of my kids & spouses took me to lunch at a great BBQ restaurant, and then we spent the afternoon together. My other daughter and her family took me to another great BBQ place for ribs for dinner! Really great day with family, and I had ALL the BBQ I wanted!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    My christmas present to myself finally came in Saturday. A CSharps Remington Hepburn reproduction in 45-90. Spent saturday evening cleaning oiling and drooling over it. LOL. Sunday morning got up and loaded the gear up (including the new rifle). Worked with a friend who is borrowing my Sharps to try in a BPCR shiloette match next weekend. He got his 200 yd zero loved the rifle and ammo. He has 100 rds of my paper patched loads to use. I then proceeded to start breaking in zeroing the New Hepburn. I had 30 rds loaded waiting for this day. I came home My daughter called wishing me a Happy Fathers day and updating me on the grandsons growths and new discoveries He is 19 months now and pretty much everything is new to him. My Son came over and we talked and he put the new brake rotor on my Thunderbird. ( I think he did it for a reason to test drive it) I then got ready to mow the lawn but decided to wait.
    YOU WIN! That is the best ever!
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Loaded up 200 45 Colt boolits, went to brunch with my family and father in law, saw my stepdad (who is dying), saw my Mom, cleaned the house, did yardwork and had a cigar on the patio as the sun went down.

Got a nice watch from my wife and the kids each gave me a beautiful card.

A terrific day.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master

Went to early service with my daughter, came home loaded some 115gr. SWCs for the .32 S&W-L, went to my brother's property to shoot them along with 50 rounds of .32 SWC Lee TL rounds. Shot the 3in. Model 30 Smith and the 1905 HE in .32 S&W-L. They both did good. Got home put on swim trunks and went to my Dad's house to swim with my siblings and had a great time! Got a Tshirt with a verse and an old hotrod on it and the wife got me a 4 version bible. NKJV, NLT, NIV, The Message all on each page. That thing is HUGE!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned

to spend it with my family.

Andy

All my children and grand children were at the house--Son and I cooked hamburgers on the grill for everyone and we enjoyed the fellowship. I got home made cards and "pictures" and a copy of Chris Kyle's AMERICAN GUNS.

We slipped over to the farm and shot only 22 pistols. I wanted to try the .22 RF slide I traded for that fits my SIG 226. It is SIG mfg and fits and shoots great. One of the grand sons prefers single action revolver, one a Ruger MI, and one the Browning Buckmark. I shot some with a Ciener slide on a RRA frame. Great day and I am glad I had enough .22 in stock to shoot a brick + a little. The wife did shoot here 238 a little--she likes to practice at least once a month with her carry gun.

A great day with the kids to remind me how important my family is.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

All my children and grand children were at the house--Son and I cooked hamburgers on the grill for everyone and we enjoyed the fellowship. I got home made cards and "pictures" and a copy of Chris Kyle's AMERICAN GUNS.

We slipped over to the farm and shot only 22 pistols. I wanted to try the .22 RF slide I traded for that fits my SIG 226. It is SIG mfg and fits and shoots great. One of the grand sons prefers single action revolver, one a Ruger MI, and one the Browning Buckmark. I shot some with a Ciener slide on a RRA frame. Great day and I am glad I had enough .22 in stock to shoot a brick + a little. The wife did shoot here 238 a little--she likes to practice at least once a month with her carry gun.

A great day with the kids to remind me how important my family is.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Boolit Bub
    What I did: My middle child took me to the indoor range to shot my new to me 80 year old Colt 1911
    What I got: 1 – a nice afternoon with my son. Lord do I enjoy him more now as a man than I ever did as a child. 2- a nice surprise at how well the colt shot my standard 45 ACP loads. 3- a nice haul on 380 ACP brass when cleaned up at the range
    What I didn’t get: No 40 S&W brass when we cleaned up at the range. This is quite rare as this cartridge seems to be the market dominator these days.