Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody remember Chuck Yeager?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by condorjohn View Post
    Next time you watch "The Right Stuff" check out the old guy sweeping the floor in the bar...
    That's Chuck...
    Are you serious?!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by condorjohn View Post
    Next time you watch "The Right Stuff" check out the old guy sweeping the floor in the bar...
    That's Chuck...
    Oh, great! Wished I'd have known that.........it was just on t.v. this morning.

Boolit Master

When I was a kid, my parents bought me Chuck Yaeger's Air Combat for the PC. I think it was a 386, maybe a 486 computer I played it on. I played hours and hours of that game. I also saw Chuck on TV alot on Discovery channel, before there was a Military channel. I loved the whole "Wings" series of documentaries.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

He is still flying around in his super cub as far as I know. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master

Many don't know that he was a POW in WWII - escaped, and his escapade was recorded in some war movie. Made BG, as some heroes do, but was too independent (as most heroes are) to get the second star.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Many don't know that he was a POW in WWII - escaped.
    As far as I know, he wasn't a POW. He did avoid capture with the help of the French Underground. Spent almost a month behind enemy lines and trekked across the Pyrenees with a Lieutenant, who was a navigator on a B-24 that was shot down over France. During this time, they were ambushed by a German patrol and the Lieutenant was injured in the leg. Chuck Yeager needed to cut the lower leg off with a pen knife and had to literally drag them both into Spain.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I also read his book as a kid and had his flight sim. I got the SR-71 going so fast that it ripped its wings off. The last image was of Gen Yeager giving me the thumbs up and saying that I did what any good test pilot would have done...once.
    http://armedliberalinmo.blogspot.com/
    NRA Certified Trainer
    Bowers v. DeVito "...there is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered."
    Partner, Olsen Training Group

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    As far as I know, he wasn't a POW. He did avoid capture with the help of the French Underground. Spent almost a month behind enemy lines and trekked across the Pyrenees with a Lieutenant, who was a navigator on a B-24 that was shot down over France. During this time, they were ambushed by a German patrol and the Lieutenant was injured in the leg. Chuck Yeager needed to cut the lower leg off with a pen knife and had to literally drag them both into Spain.
    Right, thus the "Winged Boot" badge for walking out. There are many excellent books on US WWII Pilots that would make great movies, truth is stranger than fiction.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Bob Hoovers autobiography is also a good read. He was a POW and escaped and stole a German Focke Wulf 190 and flew it back to a friendly field. It did get a little sticky trying to land at an Allied field though.
    He was also a test pilot with Yeager and was backup on the X-1 project.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Yep. "Forever Flying" is a good real. Read Bindiner's "Fall of Fortress's"?
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

"Spam in a can" referred to Astronauts who were passengers in the space ship. Just heard him.a couple of months ago still pissed that they replaced monkeys with "spacemen".

He was born in the next county over from me in Myra WV.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    Chuck and Bud are the real thing. Talk about balls. Someone said earlier - we need more just like them. Ain't that the truth. Real Americans, these guys. Mike
    Not only real Americans, but Warriors, and Leaders! DANG! We SURE need more warriors/leaders...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)