WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 22 LR ammo

Boolit Master
    If I set the price of my bricks of ammo at $200.00 per brick and someone swindles me down to $40.00 per brick have I been gouged?
    There seems to be a wide gap in what is believed to be a fair price for 22s that are available for instant shipment.
    I would like to hear some opinions on what is fair.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    And that explains why the price of phone service plummeted and service quality skyrocketed after Ma Bell got broken up, right?
    Having worked for Ma Bell myself, it's fairly obvious you don't know the whole scoop. Used to be one part subsidized the other parts of the system. Then along came the breakup. You got billed according to actual costs (+profits of course). The 7 operating companies were required to sell their services to vendors at reduced rates so they could still make a profit with no overhead in the structure. And I can tell you for positive one of the wonderful results of that was no longer was there a maintenance plan in place so service naturally started to decline. I can say without reservation that if we'd have provided service equivalent dependability -wise to say cell phone service we'd have been out of business quick in the early days. Don't compare what we're left with now to what it was before the breakup, you'd be dealing apples and oranges.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Mold
    I just picked up 325 federal in a nitrogen filled can for $17.99+ tax from Academy Sports in Oklahoma City. They have a 1 box/day limit on any single caliber but have not jacked up the prices.

Boolit Bub

Ammo

Just my 2 cents and everyone has an opinion on the matter but all the conspiracy theories about the government and the manufacturers agian in my opinion are nonsense. I was in a local cafe where I have coffee and the topic came up. One fella stated "I can't believe I cannot buy a box of .22 shells at Wal Mart, the government is buying them all". I said really in my opinion the problem is primarily good people mind you like you. Why? because when I asked him when the last time he purchased .22 ammo was and he stated "I haven't bought a box in 20 years". Multiply this man by 200,000 consumers and you have your answer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    There seems to be a wide gap in what is believed to be a fair price for 22s that are available for instant shipment.
    For family that is close= what you paid plus gas, for a close friend=same as family, for a friend of a friend=25$, for a stranger on the street=40$.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    For family that is close= what you paid plus gas, for a close friend=same as family, for a friend of a friend=25$, for a stranger on the street=40$.
    This is how I've helped those around me.

I had one guy I was shooting with, say I Owed him some 22LR, because I have so much. I told him I didn't "owe" him anything. For him, the 200$ box would a been a steal. He got nothing. He was in favor of redistributing my ammo, taking from those with ammo and giving to those thy had none.

He had me ticked off for a couple of days.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Very interesting....I have worked for WalMart and it is their policy to price "competitively". We have three super stores within 45 miles of us and each one has a completely different price on many "identical" items; i.e.; a large box of Gain detergent has three different prices in those stores. The prices are predicated on competitor's price. WalMart does have profit margins established on items where there is no competition, and that margin is somewhat lower than most other stores because they are able to buy in larger bulk quantities and WalMart definitely hurts the surrounding local businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    Well I think I opened up a can of worms. The posts were right on spot for what I expected. Mine was not a complaint but just a fact of what you can expect in times like we are having. The town here where I live is supposed to get a new Wal-Mart some time in the near future, there is a lot of controversy about how it will effect the other stores. Some say if the other stores are put out of business Wal-Mart will raise thier prices. I personally don't believe that. I have and do do quite a bit of traveling. I have been all across the lower 48 and I have driven the Alaska High twice and have seen a lot of western Canada. These trips were done with two other couples. We caravan pulling 5th wheels. eveI think I have shopped at at least a 100 different Wal-Marts and have found that prices are very consistant no matter the size of the town or city n in Canada The prices in Alaska at Wal-Mart and other big box stores were the same as the lower 48 exect for fresh meat and milk which were almost double. This is not an advertisment for Wal-Mart. My wife is a bargain hunter and we shop mostly sales. When Wal-Mart has 22 shells thier prices are reasonable and prudent. As for gun shops and sporting goods stores I know that they are just trying to make a living, sometimes through gouging. I think these stores may learn a hard lesson. Of course some people suffer from short memories My self included.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    Very interesting....I have worked for WalMart and it is their policy to price "competitively". We have three super stores within 45 miles of us and each one has a completely different price on many "identical" items; i.e.; a large box of Gain detergent has three different prices in those stores. The prices are predicated on competitor's price. WalMart does have profit margins established on items where there is no competition, and that margin is somewhat lower than most other stores because they are able to buy in larger bulk quantities and WalMart definitely hurts the surrounding local businesses.
    Agreed. When I said consistant I should have said competitive, but at the same time I don't think thier prices are out of line, especially considering thier price matching. I'm sure the new store will hurt the local business's.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    rip off is paying 80$ for 500 rounds and finding there is only 325 rnds in the box and the seller says tough doodoo.
    both parties agree to product/price its not a rip off its a transaction....
    Now that is a rip off, because of the different product NOT the price!
    I hope people understand this, in this case you agreed that $80. was the going price for 500 rounds (fair or not) BUT then you got shorted and thats the rip.

I side with BULLSHOP on this. When a buyer agrees to pay a price then thats what the products worth. Kinda sux for us bargain hunters but would you perfer the Gvmt. step in and set the prices?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Bullshop;2259127
    I would like to hear some opinions on what is fair.[/QUOTE]

Fair for who? The seller or the buyer? A "fair price" is really in the eye of the beholder.
    I've sold some .22s some went at a profit (in trade really) and others I let go for the price marked on them ($18) and I thought all the deals were fair.
    NOW if I was in biz thats a whole nother thing! I'd be looking at cost vs markup vs availibity.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

A few weeks back I called every ammo manufacturer I could think of(not all for sure, I was heated pretty much, don't think well in these moments) and asked where's the ammo? Federal replied the next day and said no ammo because of hording? Remington called yesterday and said the same thing with should be back to normal by end of year?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    It ain't jes 22lr's!

Check out the rip-off artists on Ebay and the prices they are asking for the $30.00 Lee 6 hole molds! $80+.....! It should be illegal. But people are dumb enough to pay it, I guess. All te stores and sources I deal with are not gouging or I would not buy from them.

As stated above......remember who these thieve are! Times will be a-changin'!

bangerjim
    I challenged one of them. He was selling a used loader for a given caliber as a 'vintage' item. It wasn't even complete, and his starting price was $49.00. When I told him that newly manufactured ones were available for $39.00, he replied that such wisdom as mine could change the world. they are out to make money, and they don't care...

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    This is how I've helped those around me.

I had one guy I was shooting with, say I Owed him some 22LR, because I have so much. I told him I didn't "owe" him anything. For him, the 200$ box would a been a steal. He got nothing. He was in favor of redistributing my ammo, taking from those with ammo and giving to those thy had none.

He had me ticked off for a couple of days.
    Sounds like the Obama school of thinking to me. You have some and I dont so you owe me....
    I was up in Sonora Ca. today and stopped into a little gun shop for kicks and asked the guy if he had 22lr, of course he laughed at me as I expected. I told him that at the last gun show I was at they were trying to sell them for 80.00 a brick and no one was buying... He said that he went to a gun show in Nevada and they were selling at 125.00 to 150.00 for a 500 brick...... I dont care if i only had 1 22lr left, there is no way I would pay that price for 22lr.

I understand prices go up when there is a shortage but I will never help raise the price by buying at an over inflated price.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    If I set the price of my bricks of ammo at $200.00 per brick and someone swindles me down to $40.00 per brick have I been gouged?
    A fair price could be determined if the "cost" were known. Try to get an auto dealership to tell you the real and true "cost" of their products....that'll be the day! It has come to the point of either "can I afford it" or "am I willing to pay the asking price".....fair or not!
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Buddy

Ain't this hoss dead yet?

bgokk Benefactor Member NRA
    The second amendment is the guarantee for all the other amendments...........

Boolit Buddy
    What grade of .22LR was it? There's an awful difference between Fed. American Eagle and Eley Tenex or RWS R50 - at the target as well as the cash register.
    Grouch

Quote Originally Posted by bgokk View Post
    Ain't this hoss dead yet?
    Ain't gonna die until the Obama voters leave the building.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Justs got back from WallyWorld...Rem golden 525 pack...21.99..Have to be there before 9:00 am or all gone

AT a gun show the other day, a bunch of guys were trying to get $75 per brick of 500 .22lr. I didn't see any selling. 2 guys were asking $50/brick. I didn't see the ammo flying off of their tables either. I guess that I'm not the only one that refuses to feed the hysteria.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Man
    I am new to casting, but I am not new to life. I have a few comments to offer up here. It is not gouging if you are not forced to buy a product. The owner of ANY product or service should have the right to place a value on that product or service. The prospective customer has the right to buy or walk away. It is that simple. While I hold ammunition near and dear to my heart, it is not something vital to everyday life.

Then again, I looked ahead - years ago. I bought bricks of .22 ammo when it was still on sale at Cabela's for $9.00. I still bought bricks when it was all the way up to $18.00 on sale. Buy two. Shoot one. Buy two. Shoot one. I saved brass and stocked up on lead when I did not have the tools or knowledge to cast. I am casting now and shooting center fire guns for about the same price that I paid for .22 LR ammo years ago. Am I a hoarder because of my foresight? I am for those who don't have any. It is the ant and the grasshopper. Which one are you?

For all of you who drink coffee, I read an article the other day that described how the coffee crop is going to experience a 50% failure in coming months. Guess what I am buying extra of every time I walk into the grocery store? In the not too distant future, I will be on the boards reading about people squawking about the lack of coffee while I sip my coffee.

ETA: I almost forgot. Lee six cavity mold handles regularly sell for about $16.00. I bought a set off EBay for twice the price because I wanted them. I knew it was twice the price, but no one who sold them at the regular price had them, and had no idea when they were coming in. Was I gouged? Some would say yes. I was not thrilled, but I paid the price, and you know what? I have the handles I wanted, and in the time frame in which I wanted them.