Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smelting in ammo can?

Smelting in ammo can?

Anyone know of any special dangers of smelting in a 50 cal ammo can? Just trying to make do with what I have....

Boolit Grand Master

Go to Walmart and buy a cheap pot. I would never attempt it in an ammo can. It's not what it's designed for and molten lead is not something you want to mess around with.

Boolit Buddy
    Let's see.. You've got fumes from paint burning off, seam around the bottom of the can holding moisture (search "tinsel fairy") or leaking. A cheap stainless steel or cast iron pot can be had for far less than the cost of a visit to the emergency room. There are MANY ways to do this hobby on a budget while staying safe. Smelting in an ammo can isn't one of them. Most of all STAY SAFE. J

Boolit Buddy
    Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try your local Goodwill or Salvation Army! I bought a large SS pot at my local Goodwill for 3 bucks!! Don't risk the ammo can not worth the emergency room bill!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the old heads here promoted the .50 can for smelting for years. The paint will burn off along with the assorted crud on the scrap lead. Any moisture will evaporate since you have to start the pot cold. The bottom seam is fully welded and the sides are bent over to give it mechanical support in excess of the welding. Not what I would choose, but I can't see any hazard in it.

(Note that cheap steel pots and cast iron Dutch ovens aren't designed for melting lead either.)

I wouldn't do it. Get a dutch oven from harbor freight or even use a chinese cast iron skillet for your smelting.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    With so many simple, affordable pots out there that we can smelt in.. I say leave the ammo can for the ammo. A cast iron or stainless steel pot from the good will for only a few dollars will last a long, safe time. This is one hobby that can be done safely and very easy on a budget.

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

Thanks folks. Just looking for something non-aluminum that I already have, that I won't get scolded for repurposing.

Boolit Master

Agree with the others....cheap pots are to plentiful and cheap. The other thing is while fluxing you need to stir and stirring in a square box will be difficult at best, round pot wins again brother!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I fail to understand why the ammo can would be a problem...????????
    It's just as strong as most cook ware and certainly more durable than Chinese cast iron.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    I fail to understand why the ammo can would be a problem...????????
    It's just as strong as most cook ware and certainly more durable than Chinese cast iron.

Jerry
    Simply because it's an "Unknown" use. Lots of variables to contend with. Chinese cookware in the cast iron form has proven it's worth. At least in my book.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Simply because it's an "Unknown" use. Lots of variables to contend with. Chinese cookware in the cast iron form has proven it's worth. At least in my book.
    Oh please... Fact is it's a steel box, fully welded and far tougher and more damage resistant than the junk Harbor Freight Dutch oven that I, and many others, have melted thousands of pounds in. So far the only legitimate detraction is that it is a rectangular shape and that may make it more difficult to flux and pour.

Boolit Master
    When I was drilling water wells with my father-in-law,I made a couple of pot using 8" well casing's and welded a piece of flat stock to the bottom. Will never burn out in my life time nor who ever gets them after me. Might want to vist you local scrap yard and see what they can do for you cheaply. Very hard to tip over empty or with alloy inside
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    I am pretty sure that it would work.

However with what you have at stake, I wouldn't suggest doing it.

A brick will set a nail for you too, but I would NOT suggest you use a brick to set that nail that popped loose on the wife's china hutch with the china in it!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    If you decide to use an ammo can, please let us know how you made out.

Last time I tried buying a .50 can they were over $11 plus shipping. Maybe you could trade someone local who needs an ammo can for an old pot you can smelt in.

Don Verna

KYshooter if you will pay the postage I will make you a steel pot to melt you lead in D Crockett

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    KYshooter if you will pay the postage I will make you a steel pot to melt you lead in D Crockett
    There's an offer you should not refuse!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Bub
    I used to use a metal 5 gallon pail. it worked but was kind of thin. now we are using a cut down propane tank. much better.

Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    That is extremely generous. Thank you so much. Sending pm.