MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: .44 cal wads, when you can't find them

Boolit Buddy

.44 cal wads, when you can't find them

I have some lubed wads for 44 cal for my revolver. When they run out, it only costs 10.00 for 50 of them,but in this day and age 10.00 can be used else where.

Are any of you guys coming up with making your own wads?

I know for my 45 and 50 cal single shot pistols, ill use old tee shirts and lube them with something, but i have a lot of lubed patches for them as of right now.
    Looking for: 32acp mold-- 22 hornet jwords-- 7.62x54r- jwords, boolits, mold-- 7x57 brass, mold---7.62 Nagant-brass-- 8x56r-brass, jwords-- any old firearm laying around ( I'm starting to take gun smithing classes, and I'm looking for pieces I can work on, PM me with your details)

Poor execution of a problem on your part doesn't constitute a problem on mine.

13/14 Trapping season
    Coon-1
    Grinner-3
    Squirrel-3

Boolit Buddy
    Hi - I make my own wads using durofelt, a hole punch and a wax mixture which contains beeswax, olive oil and paraffin wax - cut out the rounds of felt , melt a few tablespoons of wax in a pan - toss in the felt and stir until coated - pour into a storage container - sometimes I dust with corneal so they don't stick. Been using those for my .36 cap'n ball. I figure it cost me maybe 15 for something like 3000 so far

Boolit Master

I found some 1/8 inch pure wool felt at joannes fabric,,not alot of money.I use a 45 colt case to punch out the wads,and nuke them in a plastic bag,with lube.WAY cheaper then store bought wads!

I also get felt from Durofelt. $20 gets you a supply that lasts many years. Just tell her what you're doing and she'll set you up. I punch them out with a Fred Cornell press mounted wad punch, and dip them in molten lube. Mutton tallow, beeswax, and gulf wax. Let them dry on wax paper and they work far better than store bought, and are dirt cheap. I also use them under the boolit in boolit firing muzzleloaders.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    +3 on Durofelt. Ask for seconds if available in a dense grade in whatever thickness you are used to. Use a 44 or 45 cal punch.
    http://www.durofelt.com/products.html
    Last edited by fouronesix; 06-08-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Buddy
    Like i said i have some wads right now that are no lubed. Im going to give them a try, i know that the lubed ones will work a lot nicer. I checked out Durofelt, good prices. All i need to do is get a punch and see about lube making material, if i want to go the lubed way.

Thanks guys!!!!!! Any other ideas, i love to chit chat.
    Looking for: 32acp mold-- 22 hornet jwords-- 7.62x54r- jwords, boolits, mold-- 7x57 brass, mold---7.62 Nagant-brass-- 8x56r-brass, jwords-- any old firearm laying around ( I'm starting to take gun smithing classes, and I'm looking for pieces I can work on, PM me with your details)

Poor execution of a problem on your part doesn't constitute a problem on mine.

13/14 Trapping season
    Coon-1
    Grinner-3
    Squirrel-3

I dont use wads at all. I put semalina over the powder then the ball and then grease over the ball. Have done it that way for years. Have never used a wad ever. Accuracy very good, barrel never fowls up.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing