Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: recommended gas check for JTknives mold

Boolit Buddy

recommended gas check for JTknives mold

New to the gas check thing. Looking for recommendations for appropriate check material thickness for the mold I just purchased from JTknives. Searched the gas check forum and only found general advise for different calibers.

JTknives mold specs .227 drive bands with a .214 check shank, so a .013 difference. Divide by 2 and nominal material thickness comes to .0065. I plan to size no smaller than .225, a thou or two bigger if the gun requires. How much extra thickness is required to assure a good crimp? I will be crimping with a Lee sizing die.

Any vendors/members selling checks appropriate for boolits from this mold?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

JB

Boolit Buddy

338RemUltraMag sells checks that is what i'm going to try on that molds boolits

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-ordering-info

runfiverun has already loaded some up and shot them not sure what checks he used.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Are you using a freechex III? I recently acquired the mihec nato mold and none of my material would make a good fitting check. Home depot has some amerimax aluminum flashing that is .008 (#68314). The material is gold on one side and shiny silver on the other. The material must be annealed to remove the spring. I cut the strips to 3/8" and put them in the oven, 450 degrees for one hour and the allow material to slowly cool. Now the material will be gold colored on both sides. A 14" x 10' roll for $10 will make approx. 10k checks. The checks go on easy and crimp tight. Hope this helps, has worked great for me

I just noticed you are looking to buy checks that are already made. Maybe this will help someone else.

Boolit Master

JB,

I also bought one of these molds. In the first post in that thread JT had added a pic of 2 boolits with GC's fitted. One Gator and one Hornady. The new generation Lyman will work as well as the oem is Hornady. Maybe one day I will also make my own GC's but currently I have a sufficient stockpile of GC's to last me a long time.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

I have some .009 aluminum checks at 15/K or .010 copper checks at 17/K shipped, these will crimp on all 22 cal boolits up to .228 in size. PM me if you need some.

Josh

I'll vouch for 338RUM's checks, I use them in 30cal and ordered 5k in the 22group buy on his checks. I also bought the hm2 225-62 and will be using his checks. I'd be a happy camper if only the mihec 75gr NATO wasn't so far out...

Moderator Emeritus

I've already cast and sized some of the HM˛ 225-62 boolits.
    Gators checks fit very snug...it's a bit of a challenge to hand seat them.
    The homemade checks from my FCIII tool with .008 alum lith plate, slide right on and when sized to .225 in my lyman/ideal lubesizer, cannot be pulled of with my finger nail. Sage Outdoors makes/sells those exact checks, google his website. He uses the same tooling and same material.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    JonB, what are you using to seat the gas checks with? I have the same mould on order, and I have a SAECO luber sizer that has a gas check seater built in that works great.

Moderator Emeritus

I usually just use my fingers.
    for stubborn ones, I use a lyman 45 with homemade seater plate.
    I have a ideal/Lyman #1 lubesizer setup for .225 and Lotak.
    I don't have a seater for that...yet
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    JonB, when they go on hard, the SAECO will allow you to seat them square before sizing them onto the bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have a check maker contact member Yonky for aluminum. It sounds like you need to use .008 material. I can vouch that his aluminum works great. I use that thickness for my 357s w/ great results.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

I was originally interested in purchasing checks, but instead decided to give a freechex III a try. Happy to say that I have successfully crimped checks made of Yonky's .008 aluminum coil onto boolits from JT knives' mold by sizing/crimping with Lee sizing dies at .225 and .226. The checks are on very snugly and I can't imagine them coming off.

Haven't had an opportunity to shoot the checked boolits yet, but can't wait to get to the range.

JB

Boolit Master

I did my first cast yesterday using the mold by JT and fitted the boolits with Hornady checks. They went on snug with a few that needed a tap with a small wooden stick. Lube sized through a Star to .2255 and using Tac#1 lube.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Charlie of FreeChex writes "from yonky and or jkh" on sample metals included with his tools. When quizzed he said it was a crimping issue and staying put for him and thus the deciding factor. Same thicknesses in HomeDepot etc. aluminum often tended to spring or pop off. I'd referred to the brass shims that were included recently, he said that he was out of yonky's metal for the particular tool.