Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Is it possible?

Boolit Man

Is it possible?

Howdy all. I managed to pick up a 36 caliber cap lock this weekend. It has a 2 piece stock with pieces missing. So I have to put a new stock on it any way. I am wondering if it is possible or even worth while to try to convert this rifle over to a flinter. I got it for a song and it was a kit rifle made about 30 years ago but never finished. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Sure you can. Anything is possible with enough effort in the right direction.
    If the barrel has a threaded hole for the percusion unit to screw into this can be plugged or a liner screwed into it. If the barrel has a Bolster type percussion unit that can be ground off, hole threaded and plugged. Then later a new hole drilled where the flint pan lines up.
    Much will depend how the barrel is mounted into a new stock and the elevation of the hole that now is there. Home tooled individuals do this process with complete and safe results.
    Last time up north there I changed out the locks on a double flint shoothbore requiring the vent holes to be plugged and moved. Simple mechanical process with drill, tap, screws and expoxy.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

If you tell us what brand and model it is, we may be of more help. Some guns were sold as either flint or percussion and converting them is a simple matter. Others are not so easy.

-Nobade

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would just cut off the breech end, re-breech it, and build from there.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner but I've been busy. The brand is jukar that is the only marking on the barrel besides a serial number. I like the idea of rebreeching the barrel I may do that as that wouldn't be to hard or costly to do. I'll look at the cap assembly and see if it is inter changeable.
    Thanks for the info.
    Craig