Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Im done.

Boolit Master
    To not respect the sacrifice that so few have given for so many is a travesty. How dare you. To not give condolence when one is in need is a travesty. How dare you. Thanks for speaking up Trey. Keep the faith.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    We have determined over the years, anyone who would volunteer to be on staff here is crazy, and therefore unqualified. Staff are expected to go insane once they are in the position. All are drafted, and leave claw marks and the cry of NO! No! No! lingering in our ears as we drag them into the dark depths.
    Stick around.
    This!!! LOL
    I know I've said it before, and I'll say it again, and again, and again.

Thank you experienced gentlemen and gentle ladies for sharing with us Noob's. I lurk much and post very little. Most of my time is spent watching the swapping section for new treasures I didn't know I've lived this long without. The rest trying to absorb the knowledge I lack, which is a lot.

Before I stumbled across this site I was sure my 45 ACP bullets would stop leading if I just could find a way to make them harder than water dropped Linotype. Keeping them soft enough to obturate and sizing to properly fit the bore would not have occurred to me.

Don't give up the good fight.
    Stork

X101 hang with us we new casters and loaders need all the help you can give to us. There will always be bad people with bad hate toward the military personel, future and past ones. I remember in the 70's what hateful people said as we returned from our cruises over seas. Wow!
    Anyway we need all the instruction we can gat to refine what little talent we new comers have.
    CD

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by lka View Post
    Well too bad everyone couldn't just take everyone else's opinion as,, well,,, an opinion
    You, probably, inadvertently illustrated a majority of the older members' thoughts on this by your post on opinions.

Opinions are fine, but they should never be allowed to get in the way of facts. What's more, when dealing with a molten alloy in temps exceeding 700F, an "opinion" presented as fact can get you seriously or fatally hurt damned fast.

Same goes with reloading. Opinions are one thing, but facts are what they are and again, when dealing with primers and gunpowder and projectiles, an opinion that in reality is dangerous NEEDS to be refuted.

Our problem is that we're letting in too freaking many of these "outbound education based" mentalities who prefer that "everyone is a winner and everyone is right and everyone's opinion has merit."

I don't buy one stinking nano-ounce of that bovine excrement. Right is right, wrong is wrong. Period. If you screw up with molten alloy or gunpowder and primers, BAD things can happen, and that's a helluva price to pay for being so intent on making "everyone right" and so that everyone's opinion--right or wrong--can have merit.

I've been reloading for over forty years, often times on a daily basis, and I still feel like a rookie around some of the genuine world-class experts that call this forum home (for now). Guys like Felix and Larry Gibson and Lloyd Smale and Waksupi and Sundog and Mt. Gun44 and so many more. . . . I'm in literal awe of what they've accomplished and discovered and perfected over the years.

And yet, for all their knowledge and experience and abilities, they are among the most humble of all members here--unlike so many of the newbies who come roaring on here expecting us to be awed by their two or three years, or less, of experience--but telling us that we're full of **** because we take exception to the YouTube instructors that they worship.

There is a place for opinions and there is a place for facts. The danger is in when those two places get mixed up. We try very hard to avoid that here, but as Chargar so aptly points out, if you point out that a supposed fact is in reality, an opinion and either a foolish or dangerous one, then you have "offended" someone.

But it feels like we're losing the battle and that opinions are winning out. The moderators here are the best there are, bar none. But there is exactly zero reason why they should have to take care of this place totally and solely on their own.

And that's a fact.

Boolit Grand Master
    And stating an opinion too strongly is regarded as "aggressive" behavior.

There is no "Best" and I won't "school" you.

x101, stick around. Fight the hoards. Never, ever, give in to the ********.

There will always be someone whose perspective is skewed by their own problems. Often time they project them to others.
    Lucky for them that we can't feed them a poop sandwich here!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    You, probably, inadvertently illustrated a majority of the older members' thoughts on this by your post on opinions.

Opinions are fine, but they should never be allowed to get in the way of facts. What's more, when dealing with a molten alloy in temps exceeding 700F, an "opinion" presented as fact can get you seriously or fatally hurt damned fast.

Same goes with reloading. Opinions are one thing, but facts are what they are and again, when dealing with primers and gunpowder and projectiles, an opinion that in reality is dangerous NEEDS to be refuted.

Our problem is that we're letting in too freaking many of these "outbound education based" mentalities who prefer that "everyone is a winner and everyone is right and everyone's opinion has merit."

I don't buy one stinking nano-ounce of that bovine excrement. Right is right, wrong is wrong. Period. If you screw up with molten alloy or gunpowder and primers, BAD things can happen, and that's a helluva price to pay for being so intent on making "everyone right" and so that everyone's opinion--right or wrong--can have merit.

I've been reloading for over forty years, often times on a daily basis, and I still feel like a rookie around some of the genuine world-class experts that call this forum home (for now). Guys like Felix and Larry Gibson and Lloyd Smale and Waksupi and Sundog and Mt. Gun44 and so many more. . . . I'm in literal awe of what they've accomplished and discovered and perfected over the years.

And yet, for all their knowledge and experience and abilities, they are among the most humble of all members here--unlike so many of the newbies who come roaring on here expecting us to be awed by their two or three years, or less, of experience--but telling us that we're full of **** because we take exception to the YouTube instructors that they worship.

There is a place for opinions and there is a place for facts. The danger is in when those two places get mixed up. We try very hard to avoid that here, but as Chargar so aptly points out, if you point out that a supposed fact is in reality, an opinion and either a foolish or dangerous one, then you have "offended" someone.

But it feels like we're losing the battle and that opinions are winning out. The moderators here are the best there are, bar none. But there is exactly zero reason why they should have to take care of this place totally and solely on their own.

And that's a fact.

I'm talking more about what press to buy, if someone likes or dislikes lee moulds (I own several so,,,) and so on, people should always work up their own loads, no matter what an Anonymous Internet poster says
    Hope for change.

In Remembrance
    I'm talking more about what press to buy, if someone likes or dislikes lee moulds (I own several so,,,) and so on, people should always work up their own loads, no matter what an Anonymous Internet poster says
    Absolutely agree.

Boolit Master

Recluse is right. I'm an old guy but new caster willing only to share my experiences as my knowledge in this area is far too small to be offering advise on any subject. There are far too many whose self proclaimed wisdom has yet to be determined. Too many use the anonymity of the Internet as a tool to build their own self esteem, maybe it's cartridge envy, by putting down those whose real heart is to be a benefit to all of us less experienced by sharing their knowledge with us. The accumulative knowledge of the 'old guys' of this site would fill a library and they offer it freely to us for our benefit. They do this out of a love for their sport and a desire to mentor us.

So here is my advise: if you are challenging someone about what appears to be a safety issue, do it with zeal but don't act like an idiot while doing so. If you disagree with someone do so without being disagreeable. Before you decide to disagree, do some research on who that person is by looking at post count, threads started, responses to threads, etc. before you decide to disagree. Treat all women with respect, all the time, even if they are completely wrong. If you fail to take this advise, I pray the mods deal you appropriately. If that fails, I pray everyone will join me in flaming your a$$ for being stupid and foolish.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Mold
    Hi. This is my first post and I would like to echo the posters that have replied with the intention to persuade you to hang in there Airborne.

Small town America, with its wisdom and life lessons and personal technical instructions, is not available to tons and tons of guys that are VERY interested in firearms and all the various branches this "hobby" offers. Guys like you and others on this board provide something otherwise unattainable to guys like me that grew up with no exposure to the "gun culture".

Please,please,please...everyone here keep on keeping on. As you all know, there has been a massive influx of souls suddenly interested in personal protection; and many of those find themselves happily obsessed with firearms. The amount and depth of technical information and guidance I have seen in the brief time I have been lurking on this board is INVALUABLE.

Banned

For the old guard, I have yet to see any of staff jump on you for "correcting" someone as long as it remains civil. I have only been here a short while and i have gleaned more knowledge than i would have ever gained on my own. I look for certain peoples post as they have a no nonsense way of explaining things that actually clicks with me. I too have seen where some of the new guys feel they have been offended because they think their you tube video is gospel. So my recommendation is if you haven't physically done it yourself you need to pay attention to our senior members. They have done it for years and speak from experience not hear say. That being said some of our senior members are kind of gruff and i wouldn't have it any other way, they are the ones who make this site what it is and i for one woud like to thank them for sharing their knowledge.

Andy

Banned

There was no disrespect to our military members. There was a comment made about the post being done as a new post as opposed to being added to the offenders original post. Does anyone else think this is a little petty to have gone this far. I will tell you one thing when things like that are brought to staff's attention that individual makes our radar, and trust me you don't want to be there. As a moderator i try to remove my emotion and opinion from moderation. The members make this site what it is and i for one would like to see more "moderation" by the members. That means call people out on their bullcrap but do it in a civil way.

Andy

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I am glad I missed this rucuss... although I like a good scrap every now and then.
    But anyone that insults a Lady publicly needs to be visited in a personal way and taught some manners.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    There was no disrespect to our military members. There was a comment made about the post being done as a new post as opposed to being added to the offenders original post. Does anyone else think this is a little petty to have gone this far.

Andy
    Yes. The person who posted that shouldn't have. The reaction he got was overblown too. Everybody is at fault for putting miracle grow on some mole hills here. In my personal opinion and experience, Memorial Day is a very emotional and tough day, especially if you care deeply for our heroic veterans who paid the ultimate sacrifice for us, and there are a LOT of those folks at this place, which is one of the reasons I like it here. But in situations such as this one, we are all emotionally compromised and over-react. Jim posted a nice thread of his own which mentioned scottiesmom wasn't offended. That is a relief and understandable, since it was a small thing to begin with. She reacted better than all the rest of us, IMO. She just ignored it and moved on. Definition of class and maturity. DCP has taken responsibility for what he did, which is a stand-up thing to do, rather than run and hide. I think it's time for everyone to shake hands and move on. We're beating a dead horse here. I think the mods should lock this thread or move it to the place where dead threads disappear, so we can all move on, and not keep things riled up over such a little thing.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Grand Master
    Andy, I will say that I find the Mods do an excellent job here. Not a job I would want. You can never make everyone happy but you certainly can make everyone mad.

Well too bad everyone couldn't just take everyone else's opinion as,, well,,, an opinion
    Well, after some reflection, I would say I agree and disagree depending on what is going on in the thread. I have a tag line to my posts that everything I put up is my opinion, based on my experience and others may have different experiences. I am fine with other folks doing things different ways. I am fine with others having opinions that vary from mine.

What I am not fine with is folks trying to correct others and convert them to their way of doing things asserting superior knowledge or experience. In effect, these folks don't just want to state their experience, that want to correct you and challenge your knowledge or experience in the matter. It is this kind of difference of opinion that causes problems.

My big issue comes when one poster is trying to help another poster deal with a problem and a third persons comes in and effect says..."No..no..that isn't the way to do it! Let me tell you how it is done". This makes for a very difficult teaching and learning environment.

Multiple opinions and methods are always in order, but challenging somebody starts problems. Way to many folks state their opinions as facts and their experience as the only way things can be done. "Ay..there is the rub!".
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Multiple opinions and methods are always in order, but challenging somebody starts problems. Way to many folks state their opinions as facts and their experience as the only way things can be done. "Ay..there is the rub!".
    Funny thing is, I've seen experienced, respected members do just this a couple times recently; wade into a discussion and basically tell everyone involved that they're full of it and don't know anything, rather condescendingly. It has surprised me, but I figured they were just having a bad day and I ignored it.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Funny thing is, I've seen experienced, respected members do just this a couple times recently; wade into a discussion and basically tell everyone involved that they're full of it and don't know anything, rather condescendingly. It has surprised me, but I figured they were just having a bad day and I ignored it.
    Some folks here think that the traditional way is the way to do it....... and get right upset when it's not done their traditional way.

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Some folks here think that the traditional way is the way to do it....... and get right upset when it's not done their traditional way.
    No Bobby, folks get upset with you because you intimate that others lack the knowledge you do and therefore can't do things as well as you do. You are not content to tell folks what you do, you hold out to possess superior knowledge. You steadfastly refuse to share these deep dark secrets with others, just allude to them. That is why folks consider you to be full of BS.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    I only wear one glove when casting
    Hope for change.