Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Turret Press Problem

Lee Turret Press Problem

I just got the press yesterday and have it mounted with the primer feed attached and decided to add my RCBS 45 Auto dies and give it a run to see how it went. I had a bit of a problem with the primer seating properly. As can be detected by the pic, the top of the primer anvil is hitting the bottom of the shell holder. I have to manually push the primer arm in before up stroking to seat it as that's where it hits. The primer cup goes through the shell holder ok but when you push the handle up to seat there's resistance. I have to back off and fiddle with the primer arm to get it placed just right or it won't seat the primer...acts like its hitting off center and pushing against the brass. I'm open for any ideas as to a fix. I tried another brand of shell holder but got the same results.

NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Man
    You are missing a part. Go to leeprecision.com and look at the Turret Press.
    Alan

Boolit Grand Master

How is the pirmer ram held into the piece if threaded try turning it a little deeper in. You only need a little bit about .010 would do it. Lower the priming punch would accomplish this. If there are 2 punches ( large and small) see if the other has the same issue if not measure it and see the diffrence is between the two. Some of the punches had a hole thru the side to facilitate turning them with a paper clip wire or small rod. If all else fails call Lee and ask them.

Boolit Buddy

I had a issue like this. I had to remove primer arm and take some sand paper and smooth out where the primer tool rides inside the ram. Smooth out the place where you can see in your pic where the spring to the top of the cup hit the ram. This should help.

Missing a part? I don't see what that could be. I tried the small primer arm with some 357 cases and it works perfectly. Unfortunately, there's no set screw on the front or side like with RCBS arms. It's pretty much what you see is what you get. I hate to have to file down the punch. It appears that's what's necessary but also the other issue won't be solved by that.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Bub
    The piece with the primer cup is replacable so do not file anything. If the small primer works fine what you need to do is to try and push the piece with the cup on it deeper into the actual piece that hooks to the ram.

I did a bit of filing/honing and it helped a bit. I went ahead an ordered another arm from Lee. Maybe that one will be better like the small primer arm that came with this one....only $7.
    NRA Patron Member

I had the same problem too, but I just took a pencil and rubbed the graphite all over the "hook" that fits in the cross-pin and voila! That and just using it a few times fixed the problem right away.

Otherwise, the above suggestion about a little "sanding & honing" should fix the problem. As you can see, it is just a very small way from working as designed and when you get it "broken in", it WILL work wonderfully.... sanding and honing the HOOK of the arm and NOT the cup which holds the primer.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgtonory View Post
    I had a issue like this. I had to remove primer arm and take some sand paper and smooth out where the primer tool rides inside the ram. Smooth out the place where you can see in your pic where the spring to the top of the cup hit the ram. This should help.
    Yup, had the same problem. The lever/primer arm is moving in a little too late. Smoothing the parts also did the trick for me.
    Try this- Let the lever of the primer tool hit your finger just as it comes down, it'll probably work every time. A small lump of silicone seal to hit the lever before the lever hits the base casting should also work.
    There are no parts missing.

I got it working a little better. I don't get the situation like in the picture now but still the arm seems to go in a little too far to facilitate seating the primer. I have to take my finger and put it on the flat top portion of the arm and push down a little, bringing it more back toward me I suppose and it seats the primers ok then. I may work on the hook more. I took some Arkansas hard stones to it earlier.
    NRA Patron Member

Banned

pop cycle stick and tape is what i used, hehehe! Not kiding!

What ever works!
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    Two thought's come to mind:

1. check to see if the "Pin/Post" is set deep enough into the priming arm. They are press fit and may not be pushed in all the way.

2. check to ensure that the priming arm is seating on the pin through the ram fully and moves freely. If it is not moving freely (i.e. you can flip in with your finger and it falls out on it's own weight) look for any burrs on the arm or in the ram slot.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    Two thought's come to mind:

1. check to see if the "Pin/Post" is set deep enough into the priming arm. They are press fit and may not be pushed in all the way.

2. check to ensure that the priming arm is seating on the pin through the ram fully and moves freely. If it is not moving freely (i.e. you can flip in with your finger and it falls out on it's own weight) look for any burrs on the arm or in the ram slot.
    I recently bought a second classic cast Turret press. both the primer arms that came with it seemed 'unfinished', one side had burrs from their CNC. they would 'hang-up' as shown in your photo. I deburred and polished all the edges...they both work great now. You don't don't want to mess with the cups...they mangle easily...don't ask me how I know
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Pin Post? I just put it in the slot until it drops in.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    The priming "Pin" post! The portion that the spring and cup are attached to on the end of the priming arm. Is it seated at the same depth as the other priming arm?

If you are just dropping it in in place is it falling to the same position as the unit that works fine?

I measured the pin post and it's actually shorter by several thousandths than the other small arm that works well. The cup height is also a tad shorter than the small one that works well...go figure.

I watched the video and yep, mine fits between those "humps" as it should. I just went to do a few more cases and it seems to be doing better now clearing the bottom of the shell holder but still is a little fussy about centering. I have to move it fore and aft to get the cup to center the primer pocket.
    Last edited by ColColt; 05-24-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    Then call Lee and request a new one, tell them it's out of spec and will not function correctly. They should send a new one with out too much fuss. Some times it just works out that way.

I think that may be the case but I'm going to work with it a bit more. I ordered one already when this first started as I knew something wasn't quite kosher since the small arm worked like a charm on the six or so cases I tried with it.
    NRA Patron Member