Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Oldest 2400 powder canister I have seen

Oldest 2400 powder canister I have seen

OK, this may not work out too well, I don't have a great camera and I may not be able to upload the picture here, but I have recently came across a container of 2400 that has red stamped numbers "2400" and lot #122 hand written in fountain pen on what could best be described as "grocery sack" paper wrapped around a one quart turpentine can. (Maybe a pint turpentine can) Any
    information on this can would be appreciated. If the picture comes through, the container on the right was purchased this week, and the canister on the left is the typical late 60's early 70's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT7827.jpg  
    Last edited by curt48mauser; 05-16-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Wow really neat. Can you tell us what the label says, I can not read it.

Boolit Master

Here is one I found a few years back. Powder was/is still good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3376.jpg  
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master
    I have an empty of that one fecmech.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Hi Shredder, To the best of my ability, "This lot of 2400 should be loaded 1 1/2 to 2 grains under to start with for small rifle and 1 to 2 grains under for large rifle loads. Fecmech, that is another can I have not seen either, thanks for sharing. I'm still interested to find out if anyone can approximate a date on this one. Lot #122 can't be too far into its production life. Time to do some Googling.

Boolit Master
    Fwiw, it looks like a IMR can that someone applied a label to. Possible the origonal can got rusty and they changed it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had this one a LONG TIME.

I wonder just how old it is ?

Boolit Master
    I've one exactly like Ben's, but lot number 256.

I don't know how old it is, but it pre-dates zip codes.

labradigger1, Maybe it could be a transfer to another can, but just looks like it was a blank can that someone may have filled from a bulk lot from the hardware store, maybe someone can shed some more light on it. I have written to Alliant to see if they can help.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368758420614.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	70857

This is my old container that I load from. Lot number is 679 from what I can tell. Has alliant powder sticker applied as it was produced or in inventory when hercules was sold to them. I know its not that old.

Last edited by VintageRifle; 05-16-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've got one of the square cans, still sealed.

Boolit Master

In about 1960 I use to buy 4831 in that style can with just a plain paper label like that on it for a dollar (one pound). The guy in the local sporting goods store said it was surplus military powder some outfit had bought and they were filling these cans and selling it cheap. At that time most one pound cans were that same configuration and sold for about $3 a can (red and white dupont cans I believe).

Banned

I just finished a can of herco like ben has there.
    I was letting the girls play with trying to figure out how to open and close the pop-top.

oh yeah,,, you have to punch a hole on the side of the can right under the rim to get all the powder out of them.
    I poured the remnants from the metal can into a new fiber drum I opened.

Boolit Master

I've had this one a LONG TIME.

I wonder just how old it is ?
    I know they were still available in the late 60's.I was buying Red Dot for skeet at the time and that is what it came in.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    curt48mauser; I used to get cans like that in the late 60's or early 70's. The gun club I belonged to, would order large kegs of powder and transfer the powder to that type of can to resell to members.

G

Boolit Master
    I was given four cans of powder like the one pictured by Ben except mine were painted grey. One of the powders was 2400. Two containted a powder called lightning. I forget what the fourth can contained. The date on the cans was Nov. 39. I only tried the lightning and that was in a 30-06. It worked fine but it looked funny. The powder granuels looked like little doughnuts. It didn't burn very clean though. I gave all the cans away along with all the other old cans of powder I had during my move last year. There is not enough room in are new digs to store something I will never use. Actually there isn't enough room to store what I do use.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Thanks everybody for the followup, Gee Wizz1, Probably was an interesting can at the gun club that they were filling from.
    Actually there isn't enough room to store what I do use.
    Gopher Slayer, I bet many of us here have the same problem.

Boolit Master

I have some old cans myself but have yet to open and use any thinking they may be worth more unused someday.

Boolit Buddy

I've got an old 3 lb Hercules Red Dot in a pop top canister like Ben's 2400. Lot # is 72! I inherited it from my B-in-L and don't know it's history except he was very meticulous with his storage and load data and so I trust that it is Red Dot. Plus it smells fine and has red dots of powder in it.