RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Easy camp food.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Geez guys, I'm talking fine dining! I'm a good campfire cook, just need ideas. I hate the pre-packaged stuff.
    Weight isn't a factor, I'll be cooking at shoots mainly, so a pickup and a cooler are available.
    I bake a ham a week or so ahead of time, eat all I want and wrap the Bone/ham leftover in saran wrap/alum foil and freeze.

In my camp I just put the dutch oven on/near the fire and let it slow cook the ham bone/meat along with a zip lock bag of cellery/onion/sliced carrots/3-4 bay leaves, etc, spices. Also I would make a BIG pile of cornbread muffins (at home) and take them along in some zip locks, with butter of cource. Sounds like a lot but actually a small packege! OH, almost forgot, take along a couple cans of precooked beans (your choice) to add after you/friends have kept going for more beans. It's never failed for me, awesome!

Boolit Master

Okay, here's a good period correct breakfast. They are called forced eggs or Scottish eggs. Peel hard boiled eggs then pack bulk sausage around the eggs and put them in dutch oven with lid lip and coals on top also to help cook even.

if I need "easy" and I'm not terribly worried about weight, I use the old Boyscout tin-foil dinner method. As a matter of fact, I sometimes even make them in my oven at home! You just take a sheet of heavy duty foil (shiny side up) and put a pat of butter or bit of oil (or some fatty bacon works too). Then you put down some onions, carrots, and sliced potatoes with either ground beef or sausage. Salt and pepper as you go. Then you cover it with another layer of foil and roll up the edges to seal it up good and set it on some coal you raked out of the fire and some more coals on top. About an hour should do it. The kids really enjoy making up their own meals too. And cleanup consists of tossing the foil. Or if you're worried about critters, you can burn off the leftover food.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master
    BREAKFAST
    Bacon, eggs, hash-browns and coffee

SNACKS
    Chips & dip
    Bean Dip: 2 parts refried beans, 1part chili (no beans), 1.5 parts salsa, 1 cup grated cheese.
    Heat refried beans and chili in pan, lower heat, throw in salsa and cheese, done. Dip your tortilla chips and enjoy.

Cream Cheese & Salsa Dip: 2 parts cream cheese, 1 part salsa.
    Mix ingredients together...mix, mix, mix, mix, mix. For spicier dip, add diced jalapeno. Due to the combination of tomato and cream cheese the color isn't very appetizing but it tastes great.
    Oh! And beer.

DINNER
    Grilled steaks, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and maybe baked beans.
    Oh! And beer.

After dinner is finished and the kids are roasting marshmallows, that's when I break out the single malt.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

Sliced heart rubbed with bacon grease, potatos and onions cooked together in a pot (your choice boiled, fried etc.) fried bread. Dessert is a can of peaches soaked in your favorite 1 quart condiment.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master

This is sort of like Sundogs.
    In a large skillet cut up and brown 1lb of smoked sausage then chop one head of cabbage in fairly large hunks,
    Do the same with a med to large onion. Add one cup of water. Add small carrot for color.
    Sprinkle with caraway seed, about one tablespoon. Cover and cook down until cabbage is soft.
    Serve in pita bread or tortillas
    Last edited by Hickory; 05-15-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    One of my favorite camp foods is the simple smoked jalapeno poppers.You can also use the stuffing recipe for other peppers as well as making stuffed mushrooms caps.
    http://www.grilling.com/smoked-stuff...apeno-peppers/
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Master

Cowboy Breakfast

Good any time of day.
    1 dozen eggs, scrambled
    2 large potatoes, fried
    1 large onion and 1 green pepper, sautéed
    1 lb. venison sausage or burger , fried and crumbled
    1/2 lb cheese of your choice, grated
    Fry the burger/sausage in one skillet
    Fry the taters and veggies in a LARGE skillet.
    Toss all cooked ingredients in the large skillet.
    Scramble the eggs and toss it all in the large skillet and mix.
    Salt and pepper to taste.
    Spread the cheese over the mess and let in melt.
    Add your favorite bread, biscuits, etc and enjoy.
    I like hot sauce with my meal
    You can toss anything in this breakfast your heart desires and can`t go wrong...dale

A bag of mixed dry beans, water, & salt pork in a dutch oven. Kind of boring for day three, but fresh from the pot on day one, Oh, that's good.

Can't go wrong with a big pot of chili.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Getting some good stuff here!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

About anything in the cook book if close to the truck and does not leave the dutch oven in a mess.
    Sour dough bread if you have the starter, also sour dough pancakes for breakfast.
    One of my favorites , start with a 16 inch dutch oven set 32 brickets of charcoal. one goose, place a mallard in the cavity, place a wood duck in the mallard cavity then a onion in the wood duck cavity. Bacon on top, favorite seasoning 1/3 (10) bricketts on the bottom the rest on top. 30 to 45 minuites later set more charcoal, add (depending on diners) rice, (two cups of beer per cup of rice) potatos, carrots, some celery leaves. ready to serve in 30 to 40 minuites.

In another oven 12 inch place 3 cans of pie filling, (I use three different kinds) one box of yellow or white cake mix sprinkled on top, one cup of dark brown sugar sprinkled on top of the cake mix, one to one and one half stick of real butter. 24 bricketts, eight on the bottom.

Also needed a few quarts of "my" favorite home brew, a nice Burbon for the late fire.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    i like to grill corned beef(straight out of the vacume pack you bought it in), with whatever spices you enjoy all done up in tinfoil. i use 2-3 layers,and sometimes put barbeque sauce on it about 10-15 minutes before its done,and i like montreal steak seasoning on it as a general rule. doing it this way i do not use the little spice pack that comes with it.enjoy !

Boolit Master

Check out the Jalapeno Poppers in Cookin' Recipes. They are a great camp food idea.

Also, get a good chili recipe. That's always a winner.

Make up some homemade beef or deer jerky. We go through 2-3 pounds in camp in a week.

If you are cooking at a shoot and need to feed a crowd, a fish fry with slaw and hushpuppies is always good. (if you are a fisherman)

Don't know if you have access to crawfish in Somers, but if you do, a crawfish boil with corn-on-the-cob and new potatoes cooked in the boil is a real crowd pleaser!

These are a few ideas from recent deer camps.
    Last edited by km101; 05-16-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

Mean Beans:
    Depending on how many you have to feed start with 3-4 medium cans of pork and beans, 2 large onions and 2 small/ medium green peppers and 1 pound of sliced bacon. Cut bacon in 1/4"-1/2" strips. In large pot or cast iron skillet fry up bacon til done, remove bacon, set aside, remove most of bacon grease, add chopped/minced onion and green pepper(minced or chopped garlic if you like), cook til done. Add bacon and beans, stir well. Add 1/4-1/2 cup of molasses, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4-1/2 cup of what ever barbecue sauce you like, 3-4 table spoons of mustard, stir well and simmer for 30 minutes. Add what ever hot sauce you like for a little heat. These are good for a week on chips even cold.
    Not intended to re-create the "Blazing Saddles" scene but these will work on you...LOL
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy

Slightly different take on dale 2242's cowboy breakfast;

Sausage, ham, bacon, whatever meat strikes your fancy--brown in a dutch oven and remove to a bowl, leaving some drippings in the oven
    Throw in a bag of frozen, diced hash browns. Brown and warm up real good.
    If you like, onion, peppers or mushrooms can be added while hashbrowns are warming up. For real quick and easy, a jar of salsa works well here.
    Add the meat back in, warm up the whole concotion well, stirring and seasoning to taste.

When the meat and spuds are to your liking, what I like to do is sort of trowel off the whole pot to level full. Using a large spoon, ladle, or your knuckles, form appropriate number of "divots" in the troweled off surface. Into each divot, pour in an egg, yolk intact. S&P to taste.
    Put the lid on and bake anywhere from 5 to 10 mins, depending on how well done you like your eggs.
    Take the lid off, top each egg with a mound of shredded cheese, we like pepperjack, and ring the dinner gong!

Putting the lid on is the secret to getting the eggs done proper. It sort of steam/bakes them.

Boolit Master
    Wrap yourself up a burrito with your favorite burrito fixings; sausage, cheese, egg, veggies and some thawed freezer hash brown makes a great breakfast. Wrap up the burrito with a layer of aluminum foil and place on some low coals or hot ashes. Flip a couple times and keep an eye on the process. You want toasted on both sides but not burnt. You will end up with something like a T-Bell Grilled Stuft Burrito...but oh so much better...
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master

Just an aside to the add water pancake mixes, premeasure into ziplock bags add water to bag and mix, cut corner off bag and pour batter into skillet! Also a nice frittata, potatoes, onions, peppers, any leftover veggies (corn, green beans, cabbage, broccoli) pork sausage or other meat. Cook the ingredients until done, add a mess of scrambled egg, cover til eggs are set. Add cheese of choice cover til cheese melts. Good hot or sliced cold. Tim

Boolit Master
    Hot dogs and pop tarts

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    Hot dogs and pop tarts
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.