RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Pedersoli Long Range Tang Sight

Pedersoli Long Range Tang Sight

Still looking for an affordable Pedersoli or Uberti 1874. Found a few on gunbroker, but they all seem to have the DP long range tang sight. That particular sight is windage adjustable at the eyecup as well as the base. Are these sights worth having on the gun for long range shooting or would I be better off buying a gun $200 cheaper and putting MVA or Baldwins on it. Not sure I want to buy a gun with the Pedersoli sights then just throw them in a box and buy Baldwins or another "higher-end" brand.

Boolit Master
    Try them and see how you like them. I used them on the two Pedersoli rifles I bought and they worked very well for shooting and hunting out to a couple of hundred yards or so. Had I gotten into BP silhouette or something I'd have gotten something else. I did end up getting an MVA for one gun and it was a hunter sight for shooting out to a couple of hundred yards. I don't know what you have in mind to do with the gun so it's hard to say whether or not the sight will be what you want. If you plan to enter long range competition you might want a different sight. If you simply plan on shooting for fun, it will work very well for that. There is a market that will buy your sight if you don't want to keep it.

Boolit Master
    I have several types of tang sights on my rifles that I have picked up over the years including the pedersolli sight that you mention as well as their soul sight. What you get with a soule type sight is fast and easy windage adjustment coupled with elevation changes that are about average for tang sights. The higher the quality of the sight the less backlash and greater repeatability you get. This is very important for long range target shooters so these days that type of sight dominates iron sights at those sports. This is very important if you shoot where high winds and wind shifts are very common. A sight like the LR Pederaolli you are talking about can also be used and I have used mine for that type of shooting with complete success but changes of windage on you sights are a little harder as you have to read and interpret your sights scale markings/ Its kind of like the difference between a set of regular micrometers and a dial micrometer. If you live were winds changes are small and infrequent either sight works fine. For any other use such as close range informal target matches and hunting it makes no difference in my opinion what type tang sight you use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sights.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	70436 This one?

Boolit Master
    If you are finding Peds with the long floppy throw away sight there is no extra $200 built in.
    Dick Trenk said that sight was originally designed for muzzle loaders. I
    The Pedersoli sights with the windage scales at the eyepiece have backlash and depend a lot on your eyeball especially if your are reversing directions - (a machinist knows how to avoid the back lash some). Those with dual windage allow you to center one scale or the other.
    For shooting fixed at a fixed range you can sight them in and they work ok. Changing distances and changing windage due to wind conditions will be unreliable. You have to unlock the sighting disc and the slide parts can wiggle around while loose.

The Soule sight is a big clunker that will not laydown below the bore. The Soule sight can be fitted with the eyepiece windage of the other sights if you want to keep the Soule scale centered. With a windage front you can have a lot of windage.

Pedersoli could pick up a good bit of business with a slight redesign and closer fit of their tang sights.
    Last edited by EDG; 05-13-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    EDG