Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Primers and 22lr

Boolit Master

Primers and 22lr

I went into one of the bigger reloading stores around here... they had some Winchester primers in stock for $40/1000. Small rifle and small pistol included. I bought a few...

I didn't buy any of the 500 round bulk packs of 22lr. They had some, but the price was $49.95 each... I did see others paying that though. I guess that is the new normal.

Boolit Grand Master

Only if enough people pay it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I saw a local guy selling bricks of CCI standard velocity for $55. Here's the twist. You got the brick of ammo and a $25 membership in the local gun rights organization.

I bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    I went into one of the bigger reloading stores around here... they had some Winchester primers in stock for $40/1000. Small rifle and small pistol included. I bought a few...

I didn't buy any of the 500 round bulk packs of 22lr. They had some, but the price was $49.95 each... I did see others paying that though. I guess that is the new normal.
    Looks like it might be the new normal, at that price a couple of bricks for the day at the range is just good cheap entertainment for the whole family, heck even cheaper that my last trip to the movie theater.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up a brick of 525 Remington HP for $ 21.99 plus tax today. Price is up $2 from a month ago when I was able to see a price on a box going out the door.

$50 for a 500 brick is NOT the new normal. I don't care that a bigger chain decides to do what internet scalpers are doing!

In Remembrance
    What was the name of that bigger store??

Boolit Grand Master

A bit of a hijack but the manager of a LGS passed on something (from one of his distributors) last week that concerns 22lr and primers. It seems that many of the same resources, materials and machinery, are used to make both. The manufacturers can concentrate on one or the other but not both. I understand about the materials, wasn't aware of the common machinery.
    Glad to see more of each showing up here & there. That's the way it happened last time, just takes awhile to get the pipeline full again. Hopefully marketplace conditions will get the prices back down close to where they were this time last year. I figure 30-60 days from now we won't be reading "shortage" threads.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I keep much of my "hoarded" ammunition in ammo cans in a cool dry basement. Would vaccum packing the boxes be of any use for long term storage? I also date my powder and primers and use them first in first out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boyscout View Post
    I keep much of my "hoarded" ammunition in ammo cans in a cool dry basement. Would vaccum packing the boxes be of any use for long term storage? I also date my powder and primers and use them first in first out.
    If it's loose ammo, it wont hurt to vacuum seal them. Think of it as secondary protection. Add a cpl pks of disilica packets in it and you'd be good to go.

NRA has long advocated against packing ammo with dessicant. Drying out powder makes it faster.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I have been through CCIs factory and 22lr and primers are NOT made on the same machinery.....dale

Boolit Buddy
    One of my LGS was selling bricks of 22's for $65

I poked around his store and all his items have had the prices jacked up..

10-22 mags were $29 for the 10 round

No need for me to go back there anymore

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    I still can shoot my Pistol & Revovers (Center fire) cheaper than $50/500 ; ) PS I still have a few bricks @ $11-$12 & a few @ $15
    H/D

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I have been through CCIs factory and 22lr and primers are NOT made on the same machinery.....dale
    That's what I thought, Dale.

Boolit Buddy

its good to hear that people are seeing lr ammo on store shelves at all. I cant tell you the last time I saw 22 on any shelf except the gunshows where the sticker price is far more than they are worth to me.