Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .32 Special, Anyone?

Boolit Grand Master

.32 Special, Anyone?

Local Cabelas had seven of them a little while ago, never seen that many in one case. IIRC all were made in the '40's and '50's. All 70-80% and one very strong 90% gun with nice contrast and a little figure in the wood.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

they will do cast from just barely falling out the barrel to as fast as anything the factory has ever put out.
    i run a 324 sized boolit [i also use in my 8 mauser] from an old ideal single cavity mold it does everything my 30-30 does, only bigger.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a post-64 32WS that I really enjoy shooting. I use a RD mould and you're right, it's just as happy with the Universal plinker loads as it is zipping along @ 2100 fps or so. I can't use another 94 but the one made in 1957 had a pretty awesome trigger on top of being purty.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I had three if them ! A Marlin 1893 of about 1916-1920 vintage with a 26" round barrel . A Marlin Model 1936A and a Marlin 336SC that was made in 1952 . When I first started I used the RCBS 32-170 . Ranch dog sent me one of the 4 original test molds for his 323-170GC and I fired a good many of them in the 336SC at silhouette with very nice results . Also used the Lyman 321297 to a lesser degree but it did well also .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Only have one and it was made in 1941. Honest working gun that has seen some use. Still shoots good and still goes to the woods. Strictly a cb shooter. I use the same load data as the 30-30 uses for the 170gr. All are sized at .323.

Tom

Boolit Master
    for a long time every 94 i picked up was a .32 spl. alot of my spl. order rifles are .32spl.

Boolit Buddy
    I have four .32 Win Specials. A 1949 Win Model 94, a 1968 Win Model 94, a 1951 Marlin 336SC, and a 1957 Marlin 336SC. Both my Marlins have ballard style rifling and both are scoped. I shoot the older RCBS 08-170 GCFN in all of them. I also shoot the Ranch Dog 323-170 GCFN bullet. I tried the Lyman 321-297 boollet but could not get it to feed in any of my .32 Win Specials. The .32 Special has been the easiest caliber for me to get super accuracy from cast boollets. Whether I launch them at 1650fps or 2300fps, accuracy is match grade. My most accurate .32 Special is the 1957 Marlin 336SC due it's 3lb trigger pull and the Leupold scope mounted. Shot my first deer with my 1949 vintage Win Model 94 when I was 12 years old. My Uncle Jack loaned it to me for that rainy November morning and then he sold it to me when I returned home from overseas in 1973. I truly enjoy my .32 Win Specials a lot.
    358 Win

Boolit Master

I have a Win 64 not a 64A. The ergonomics are about the best of any lever gun. I shoot alot of 32-40 so I have plenty of molds to choose from.

Boolit Bub
    I have a 94 winchester made in 1927 or there abouts. It has a Lyman tang sight on it also. I haven't shot it abunch yet but it has been lots of fun so far. I hope to get's me a deer with it this fall. I shoot the RCBS 32-170 in it with 5744. I couldn't find any loading data for 5744 except from Mike V's levergun book. He was shooting 16-17grs. of 5744. That seems kind of slow to me. I also just read a article in American Rifleman but can't remember what weight they were using. It was twenty something but my memory is too short these days. Anyone here know of any loading data for 5744 in the 32 WS? Accurate powder doesn't show anything.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hondo1892 View Post
    I have a 94 winchester made in 1927 or there abouts. It has a Lyman tang sight on it also. I haven't shot it abunch yet but it has been lots of fun so far. I hope to get's me a deer with it this fall. I shoot the RCBS 32-170 in it with 5744. I couldn't find any loading data for 5744 except from Mike V's levergun book. He was shooting 16-17grs. of 5744. That seems kind of slow to me. I also just read a article in American Rifleman but can't remember what weight they were using. It was twenty something but my memory is too short these days. Anyone here know of any loading data for 5744 in the 32 WS? Accurate powder doesn't show anything.
    My RD 323-170GC load with XMP5744 was 20-22 grains depending on which rifle I fired it in . Also used it in a now deceased friends Pre 64 94 .

Boolit Bub
    I have a 94 Win I got when my grandmother died. Her and my grandfather raised me. My grandfather bought it for her sometime in the 30's. He was a faller and lived in alot of logging camps with my grandma. He taught her how to shoot and she was good. She shot alot of deer, elk and bear with that gun! She was only 4' 11. She hunted alot by herself. Granpa taught her how to bone out the animals if she was to far from a road. They both taught me how to hunt and fish. Every time I hold that gun it brings back alot of memories.

Boolit Master
    No difference than a 30-30._ "Just easier to pick up those boolit tip with your fingers is all."_ Knowing Cabelas. They do have some nice old rifles collections in their Gun Rooms. As for powder used. I've been using Alliant 2400 and 321297 cast in my Specials. Seems to work well in my 32-40 also.

O/M

Banned

Well, I just made another impulse rifle buy. Went over to another town with the wife and stopped in the one shop open on Sunday and there it was. My favorite rifle in the world is an old Marlin .35 Remington with a 24" barrel and the 3/4 magazine, this one is the same except for a short barrel and full magazine. Big, forend, I think it's called a perchbelly???

It is a pre-Micro Groove, so that's good. Only problem is someone cut it short for a kid and installed a recoil pad, I may try it as is, though. One thing I have been noticing during deer season is that the stocks on most rifles seem to be too long. I'm a wuss where cold is concerned and dress accordingly in our December season, so maybe a short rifle will help with the heavy coat adding an inch or more to my length of pull.

Now I need a mold and dies. I never have owned a .32/8mm, so this will be interesting.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks 6pt. I did see that my Lee loading manual has the same load for the 30-30.

Boolit Master

Rich, I own a Win94 32WS as well. It really likes LEE's 170gr RN 8mm (.323 sized and checked ) mold. Your's will probably like it as well since it has the standard rifling and not Marlin's Micro-groove foolishness.

And every hunting season I get all the brass I need from the folks shooting their 30-30s and leaving the brass on the ground. Its a simple neck-up of the brass and then I sharpie a black ring around the cartridge body to separate the brass from my 30-30 brass.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Banned

Bruce, I may do that, but if I can get .32 Special headstamped brass, I prefer that. Pluss, I have a bunch of .30-30s.

I think I'm gonna do something weird with this one and standardize on ONE bullet and ONE load (weird, I know) and use this one for deer hunting. I've been kind of focusing on Model 99 Savages lately, but just couldn't pass on this one.

Truthfully, I have no experience with the Micro Groove, for all I know, it may work just fine. I do have a .30-30 Micro Groove that I will most likely give my son. Haven't worked with it much yet but if it doesn't like cast, I'll just load him a bunch of jacketed stuff up.

You on terminal leave yet? I saw you on the MCTP Facebook page the other day, you should be getting close.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hondo1892 View Post
    Thanks 6pt. I did see that my Lee loading manual has the same load for the 30-30.
    I shot a rather large pile of the Ranch Dog 311-165GC in variouse Marlin 30-30's using 21 or 22 grains of XMP5744 .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Truthfully, I have no experience with the Micro Groove, for all I know, it may work just fine. I do have a .30-30 Micro Groove that I will most likely give my son. Haven't worked with it much yet but if it doesn't like cast, I'll just load him a bunch of jacketed stuff up.
    Some folks like to make a big deal about Micro Groove rifling . I've used it in every cartridge Marlin chambered a gun for with that rifling and didn't have all the problems some folks would lead you to believe .

At the present out of the 16 or 17 lever actions I have all but two are Micro Groove .

When I was shooting alot of silhouette I was using Marlin 30-30 with both Ballard and Micro Groove and the Micro guns shot as well if not better then the Ballard guns .

After all think about the little Marln 39A 22's !
    All of them since about 1957 have had Micro groove they shot all lead bullets and they shoot very well usually !

Boolit Master
    Years ago I shot a bunch of RCBS 35-200-FN in a Marlin 35 Rem w/MG rifling (belongs to a friend). No leading and superb accuracy, even pushing it really hard. Sure would like to have that rifle.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master

damn close. under 30 days Rich. even got a job waiting in Indiana as well. just waiting on resolution on a home lease until we get the lay of the city for a home purchase.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club