Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: 9.3 molds and what GC size?

Boolit Bub

Question 9.3 molds and what GC size?

Hey guys -

Quick question:
    What GC size does the typical 9.3 or 0.366 mold take?
    Been looking at picking up a #174 and #175 mold from NEI (email them the same question..) for a 9.3x74R Ruger #1. If a guy has to use custom GC's then I might have to re-think this!!!

Thanks
    Eric

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Most 9.3 molds i've heard of should take the 375 checks, but I have heard of a few takeing 35 checks. If someone has a mold takeing the 375 checks, would you mike the gas check shank diameter and report it please.

Boolit Grand Master
    45-2.1

Mountain Molds 270, using 375 Caliber checks--shank diameter is .355". This gives a slight "snap fit" that usually stays in place by friction.

There is not any inordinate force required to run this check/shank assembly into a .367" sizer die. Once seated, the check takes on a slight convex aspect--but this does not affect accuracy. I have fired MANY 5-shot groups sub-1.25" at 100 yards, 23.0 grains of 2400 giving 1700 FPS. A few groups have approached 1" at that distance--so I think the checks are staying in place.

Eric--that is a classy rifle in a classic caliber.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I use the NEI #175 in my 9.3x57 and use Hornady .375" GC's, and they shoot very for me.
    Glen

Boolit Buddy
    The NEI folks told me to use 35 cal gas checks with their #174 mould. No problems with them.

Boolit Bub

Smile 9.3 NEI molds

Just got an email back from NEI as I sat down at the computer.
    According to NEI their 9.3 molds are set up to use the .35 cal gas check.
    This makes it easy!!
    Time to order me a mold and see what this thing can do!
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies and help!!
    Eric

Boolit Master
    ejjuls..
    Please be sure to report back as to how your Ruger shoots those cast boolits...I ordered one last April but it has'nt showed up yet.... ...
    I have both those molds from NEI and as they told you they use .35 cal. gas checks....Well I casted some up with ACWW and ran them thru a .368" sizer and the .35 cal. gas checks won't stay on so I scraped out the bases with a scrapping tool I made from a chainsaw file (Verl Smith wrote about using these before he started making molds) and used .375 checks...now they stay on fine...
    Good luck,
    Mike
    Might add if you have a RCBS .375 / 250gr/FN mold you can lube and check in you .377 die then run it thru a Buckshot .368" push thru sizer and you have a great shooting boolit...least it shoots great in my 9.3X62 and 57's with H4895...
    Last edited by Nrut; 09-05-2007 at 11:11 PM.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    AL and others will be happy to hear this:

Bev and I watched "The Quiller Memorandum" on a Netflix DVD (addictive, those...), and it was mentioned TWICE that the British agent killed in a Berlin telephone booth while trying to 'phone in a report on the location of a neo-Nazi group...

was shot with "a nine-point-three".

floodgate