Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Neck sizing die

Boolit Grand Master

Neck sizing die

Does anyone make a 45 caliber neck sizing die that uses bushing? With my paper patched bullets ( new foray into the unknown) I cant size down for the light friction fit needed easily. My bullets are running .449 and I can only get my winchester brass in any of my sizer dies down to .453 ID. The 449 dia is the perfect fit for my bore as .450 dia are snug chambering/ Interchangable sizing bushing would be Ideal since I could change out a bushing in .001 increments to match brass, paper and or bullets dia. And only neck sizing the length of the bullet will allow a better fit in the chamber also. Thanks for your help.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    And only neck sizing the length of the bullet will allow a better fit in the chamber also.
    People who patch to bore diameter generally only insert a tenth or an eighth of an inch of bullet in the case mouth.
    Neck sizing the case for the length of the bullet would do nothing helpful.

Since only that short bit of case neck needs reduction, many get by with a taper crimp die.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

The last batch of ammo I could only get the necks sized down to .454 ID for grease groove or groove riding its fine can be expanded up. For my .450 Dia paper Patched bullets they are falling out all the time. I need to size down to light friction fit for hand seating these bullets Perfer size for size of .450 then a little bullet lube wiped on patch just before olading holds it together. Thanks Nobade for the sight. I may use a friends lathe to modify one of my existing dies to bushings It looks easy enough to do. Thanks all for your info

I also cut the bottom off a Lyman taper crimp die until it would size my cases enough to hold the .450" boolits. It took quite a bit but it works and is the only die I use with the PP 45-70 rifle now.

-Nobade

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Might try a different brand of resizing die. I have a set of Hornady dies that take the case down so tight you can't get a .449 patched dia into the case. My lyman dies are about right for patching to bore.
    You can also run just a bit of the case into a 45 colt size die, or use the taper crimp die from a 45 acp die set.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought the Meacham die the other night open top and 3 bushings 2 of a dia for my paper patched bullets and 1 of a dia for finger tensioned grease grooves. This should cure my problem nicely. I can always make more bushiings if needed. Thanks to everyone for their input, information and help

Vendor Sponsor

After you have used it for a while I would be interested in hearing if you think it is sizing your cases concentrically or not.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

I have redding dies with bushings in .223, 243,308 left over from my High Power rifle days and they did a very good job for me. My loaded round run out was normally .002 or less. I dont see where this die will be much diffrent. I got way more run out with the expznder balls in dies than the bushing dies. I think the expanders were the actual problem they didnt pull thru evenly but toof "the path of least resistence", also they were expanding the case neck when it was unsupported in the die magnifying this effect. An uneven annealing or uneven neck thickness all would affect them. I shot ammo from these dies out to 600-1000yds depending on caliber all the way to High Master qualification. Some of the most consistently accurate ammo I have loaded has been with bushing dies.
    I will gladly post my findings with this die when it arrives and I get some ammo thru it. Maybe by then the 45-90 hepburn will be here to give 2 rifle testing results in.

Boolit Grand Master

Recieved the Meacham bushing die today and it is a work of art real craftsmanship. From the case harding on the die and bushings to the sizes. Gage pin size for each bushing just slowly slides thru of its own wieght. Bushishgs are a very nice fit in the die body, slowly slides out when removing. With the push thru top I can seat the paper patched bullet in the case then size it. Allowing for the least chance of disturbing the patch. Did 50 rds today. can turn the bullet in the case but barley pull it out. Run out is checking very good, less than .002 - .003 max. Since these are bore riding at .449 they should be very good when chambered up. Wont get to shoot them till next week sometime though Club has a rifle match sunday. I got 3 bushing with the die .469, .470 ( for my paper patched bullets) and a .479 ( for when I get lazy and shoot grease grooved boolits). Since I decap with a hand tool before cleaning the cases the open top isnt a problem. What a piece of craftsmanship this is. no machine marks, beautiful case harding, threads glide together with no percernable shake or play, Knurls are clean sharp and full points. Meacham should be proud of thier work on this. I havent seen this nice of workmanship in a long time.

Boolit Grand Master

Cleaning brass from today as we speak will be loading with the new die tommrow or the next day. Ive decided on the .470 bushing for now for my paper patched bullets.

Boolit Master
    I think I will try cutting down a few Norma long cases for the 45-70 when I get time to work on the paper patch thing. They will be much thicker in the bullet seat area. I have an insert bushing set-up made by Buckshot and its great for my 40-65 but making a neck on the 45-70 has yet to help me any. just my 2cts LB