RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Pact Powder Dispenser

Boolit Buddy

Pact Powder Dispenser

I have had this unit for many years along with the Pact Scale but didn't use it much cause I was never really happy with this setup. The dispenser warm up time wasn't a problem but it kept shutting of while I tried to calibrate it or weigh a charge to the point where I didn't trust it.
    The scale was always hard to zero a charge because no matter where I put it "Out of any draft or air and hold my breath or fart" it would jump around so much I stopped using it.
    And yes I have the correct power cord that came with each of them.
    I have had this Dispenser in for repair before and two week turn around was great except it didn't work. Now Pact has had both my Dispenser and Scale since Feb of this year. Last phone call they told me they were still working on Jan. repairs. Maybe I should just give up on it and get a Hornady unit. It cost me $30. everytime I send it in. I try and stick with USA made items but I will not send it in again. Anyone else having problems with these units?

Boolit Master

I think you will find that Pact made the Hornady unit as they make the RCBS and Lyman units or did that last I hurd.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

I have a Pact digital scale (don't remember the model) that is over 25 years old. It is still accurate as the day it was new, but is very sensitive to vibration. I cant run an a/c in my reloading shop when using it because of the vibration of the a/c unit. (window unit) Other than that it is great.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Buddy
    Sensitive it is. I read where Florescent lights affect them both. I sure hope not. My whole shop has flosercent bulbs.

Boolit Master

I don't use my Pact dispenser near as much as just the scale but have had no problems with it. That being said it is possible you may have a lemon. I would try telling them your commitment to buying made in U.S.A. and talk about replacement instead of repair. Let us know how it turns out. FB

For me the pact was way to slow. I ended up getting a RCBS charge master combo. The charge master is fast enough to drop a charge while I seat a bullet. It is usually finished by the time I'm ready to seat the next bullet. I have it set right behind my press, brass on the right, and bullets to the left. The process goes pretty quick.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have and use the dispenser and scale and have no problems with it and highly rate the combo, mine is just as fast as the famed Chargemaster and I like the seperate scale facility. I've been using mine now for at least 8 years, sounds like you have a bad one. Shame Pact won't fix or replace it for you. My experience of the company has always been good, I haven't dealt with them for a while now and have heard others complaining that there customer care isn't what it used to be.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    A fellow shooter said he sent a chronograph in for repair back in July and they still haven't fixed it.

Banned

ive been using one for years. Actually my second one as the first got burned in the fire. I also have a newer lyman which is a bit faster but im so used to running the pact and like the fact that it has a seperate scale, that the lyman mostly collects dust. I had one problem with my scale on the first one and they fixed that. Ive twice had problems with my dispensor and both ended up being the plug in transformer slowly dieing. First thing id do is take your transformer to radioshack and match it up and get a new one. Id bet a dime to a dollar that cures your dispensor problem. By the way the new pact with the speed update is alot faster then the old one so if yours is there and its an old one you should ask about an update.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm perfectly happy with mine. I use the dispenser often and the scale constantly. I did have the dispenser break a couple years back and had to return it (the tubes stopped turning). I agree that customer service leaves much to be desired.

I have a Pact one for many years now (over 12 years) and last year I broke the display (something heavy did fall on it). I contacted them and they send me the BOM-list (= Bill of Materials list). I do have my own production facility to produce ciruit board (SMD) and temperature sensors. So I ordered the needed part (Display) and it was an $8.00 fix. So I did not need to buy a new one, the repaired unit still works like new.

Yep, they (Pact) also manufacture the ones for RCBS, Lyman and Hornady. I opened with some friends other scales and they all have the same setup and PCB boards, units and load cells. So they must be doinig something good otherwise these other companies won't have them in their assortment. If you open up the SmartReloader ones, you be astonished ==> it's a full copy of the one of RCBS!

Stampede
    Over 27 years experience reloading ammo, specialy with VithaVuori powders and black powder ammo.
    I frequently reload: .45ACP / .44MAG / .357MAG / .357 Maximum / .38 Special / .45-70 / .45-120 / .50-70 / .50-110 / 12,7x44R (and similar European obsolete BP ammo)/ .30-30Win / .223Rem / .38-40 / .44-40 / .300 Win Mag / 7x64 Brenneke (and similar European Rifles/ 9mm / My personal favorites: Freedom Arms revolvers, Winchester, Sharps and Remington rifles (produced before 1900)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive been using one for years. Actually my second one as the first got burned in the fire. I also have a newer lyman which is a bit faster but im so used to running the pact and like the fact that it has a seperate scale, that the lyman mostly collects dust. I had one problem with my scale on the first one and they fixed that. Ive twice had problems with my dispensor and both ended up being the plug in transformer slowly dieing. First thing id do is take your transformer to radioshack and match it up and get a new one. Id bet a dime to a dollar that cures your dispensor problem. By the way the new pact with the speed update is alot faster then the old one so if yours is there and its an old one you should ask about an update.
    First I heard of that. Wonder if they will check the transformer while they have it?
    The part that worries me is the amount of items they say they have in for repair. Going on 3 months for me but 9 months is out of the question for waiting on a simple repair or replacement. I even stated in my note to them that I would pay the extra if they had to replace the units.

Banned

yes if you sent the transformer they will check to see if thats the problem. They replaced one free for me. The second time i just went to radio shack as the price of the transformer was less then shipping cost to send it in. there warantee policy is first rate but like youve found out there a bit slow about it. Kind of why i bought the lyman. I use it as a backup if my pact craps out.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought the PACT when it first came out and it started giving bad numbers within a month. I don't trust digital so I check my loads with a balance beam scale every 25 loads. I sent the PACT back and had it repaired in warrantee in 6 weeks or so. The transformer burned out a few weeks later and I figured I got a lemon. I purchased a new transformer with a larger va rating at Radio Shack and never had another problem. It still throws fine and gives me good numbers but I went to the RCBS dispenser and scale and it is well worth the money. It is faster, has memory for different loads,and can precisely drop any powder you feed it .

Boolit Buddy
    And yet another month goes buy.

Boolit Buddy
    And another month.

Boolit Buddy
    Got the units back from Pact after 6 months. They sent me an RCBS green model dispenser not the gray one I sent in. Also got my scale back the way I sent it. This dispenser has a little different set up then the one I sent in. I had to figure it out. It seems to work ok but time will tell.
    BTW, I was told that RCBS dropped Pact and are being made by someone else, Maybe Japan? They do not make the Hornady either.

Banned

I kind of know your pain. My pact chrono has been in there shop for over 3 months now. They back up there products but really need to hire some tech people to get them out a bit faster.

Boolit Master

I bought an RCBS powder dispenser that was made by Pact. It set around for a couple of years. I went to use it an it would not operate. I called RCBS and they told me to contact Pact.
    Contacted PACT and found out that my unit could be upgraded so that it would be faster. I sent it in and in a couple of weeks I received a brand new PACT. Cost was $75.00 IIRC. The bummer was that the unit went bad without usage. That was 2 years ago.