RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: CVA Bobcat - breech plug questions?

Boolit Bub

Question CVA Bobcat - breech plug questions?

Hey guys,

I inherited a repair project from a relative. It is a .54 Cal CVA Bobcat with a totally rusted up drum/ forward part of breech plug - right at the drum and nipple. Upon inspection I find that most of the bbl is still salvageble. Are these breech plugs right or left hand thread? Are these lock-tited in or just torqued tightly? It appears as if it was fired and cleaned but not good enough - the drum area is trashed.

My thought was to remove the breech plug and figure out how much of the bbl is good then cut it, re-thread and install a new breech plug/drum and nipple. Might have to move some thimbles, etc. but thats ok.

The steel is soo soft and the bbl hoot is soo small I doubt seriously I can remove the plug without drilling and chiseling it out or using a large easy-out. I can easily just lopp off the breech end and be done with it I guess but curiousity has got the better of me!

Thanks All!
    Eric

I used to own a Bobcat, the factory manual said the plug can only be removed at the factory, no other info. Sorry I can't help, since I am a lefty I gave the Bobcat to my son and bought a CVA inline.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Early CVA's had a weird breeching system. I believe the drum was screwed into a cut in the breechplug, effectively locking them together. So, I would see about removing the drum first, if possible.
    Using reverse electrolosis may remove the rust, to free things up for you.
    These are just things I am remembering from nearly 30 years ago, the breeching system may have changed in that time. It may well be more cost effective to chuck it up in a lathe, cut off the breech end, and rebreech it. If there is much corrosion, this would be my choice.

Boolit Bub

Smile CVA Bobcat

I ended up trying to remove the plug and that didn't work. I soaked it in transmission oil, Ed's Red and PB_Paster at different times. Most of the rust is now gone. The drum came out with vise grips and it is definitely threaded through a portion of the breech plug. I tried backing the plug out and it easily sheared the locking knub off. At this point I am cutting the plug end off and starting over.

I don't know how in the heck they achored these plugs in but an eazy-out just chewed the plug up after drilling a pilot hole through the plug. Hack-Saw time!

Thanks Waksupi - You were right - they two are attached and work as one unit.

My cousin will end up with a bbl that is 2.5" shorter than what he started with!
    Thanks for the help!
    Eric

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    They may also be reverse threaded....

Boolit Master On Heavens Range. 1940-2008 Slamfire's Avatar
    Right hand threads, but you have to remove the drum first it locks the breech plug. Since you didn't do that, the ball's in yore court.