MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today versus 20+ years ago

sgt.mike

Today versus 20+ years ago

sorry ever posted
    Last edited by sgt.mike; 10-05-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    .44 mag was considered about as powerful a handgun an experienced shooter could master. People didn't know deer were bullet proof and couldn't be killed with heavy bullets or boolits at moderate speeds, today we know better and the .44 ain't fitten' to shoot much more than small rabbits, we have half-inch hand cannons for big game.
    9mms were the size of .45's today, .380's were the size of 9mms (and often heavier!) yet people managed to carry a gun just fine, now days compact is "too big for everyday carry" so we have subcompact.
    Mil-surp ammo was cheaper than reloading (and you could actually find the stuff).
    Kids were taught how a gun works from an early age, they respected it and alot less people got hurt. Today, we have violent video games to teach kids how to hunt people and lose all regard for human life.
    Elmer Keith would still be around and happy to stomp a mudhole in your head if you said he didn't make the 600 yard .44 shot
    Just some i can think of right now!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master

back then...
    lots of good military surplus around and cheap,,,
    rifles with real wood stocks and solid actions...
    22's were always available..
    nobody was wearing blaze orange...
    hunting regulations didn't run into the hundred pages and you didn't have to be a lawyer to understand them....

Boolit Mold
    I could get lead for next to nothing and never heard of a zink WW.

Boolit Master
    Sgt Mike -

Howdy !

Other than having to work " stopages ", a good, controllable semi-auto pistol is more easy to shoot " well "; than it is for
    Jane/Joe Average to shoot as well w/ a good DA revolver. I used to be an NRA handgun instructor.

More to the point perhaps, is that when using 425ft lb as the minimum threshold for adequate "stoping power " on humans;
    handguns/ammo than can produce that level of KE will be of noteable size.... and display noteable recoil.
    Plus.... these-size handguns will then present their own demands, as regards carry configuration for the handgun + spare ammo.
    Many find the flat-sided semi-autos to be easier to carry concealed, and also like the idea of ready-use ammo on-hand in pre-loaded magazines.

I myself have been carrying "N"-frame .357Mag for 28+yr. It's what works, for me & my carry/shooting circumstance(s).

20yr ago, lots of folks reloaded... for things like handgun, shotgun; and rifle. It helped/helps keep our shooting affordable.
    Well at least.... it USED to ?!?

With regards,
    357Mag

Love Life
    Today:
    I enjoy hunting, hiking, fishing, reloading, etc.

20 years ago:
    I was in middle school.

Boolit Master
    Back then I was 15 and my parents let me hunt by myself all day long. I could comfortably hunt the three surrounding sections, which was all private property. If I saw a neighbor, we would just chat and maybe I would share some of my catch.

Today, I live in the same house I grew up in. My kids aren't allowed off our ten acres because the neighboring land owners have everything posted NO Trespassing. If we do see a neighbor, they get ticked off because we are ruining their weekend hunt at their up north cabin.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master
    20 years ago, S&W was chambering new rounds and making new guns nearly every month. And you could buy them! (If you had the money...I usually did not.)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

20 years ago, I was a sienor in high school. It was not uncommon at all to see pick up trucks in the parking lot of the school in the fall with rifles in the window. I know you boys remember those days. You'll never see that again.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

20 years ago I was chasing blonde, red and brunette tail. Now I chase white tails.
    People were happier, had more money and a lot more sanity
    FEAR YOUR GOVERNMENT

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    It was May 1989 when I succumbed to the shell shucking crowd, a year and a half after Skeeter Skelton passed away. After carrying a Ruger Security Six stainless through some tight spots for over seven years my first bottom feeder was a Sig Sauer. At our last agency qualification we verbalized our longing for wheel guns, one of the new recruits told us how much he paid for his sunglasses -more than the cost of a Glock. 20 years ago that would have never been the case.

Boolit Master
    When I was in high school we had rifle team practice in the gym. I've got pictures to prove it.

Banned

20 years ago I was lugging a 12# Hawken up and down steep hills. If I had a revolver on my hip it was a 7-1/2" or 10" SBH. Now with the Ultra Dot for old eyes I use a shoulder holster for them, a .475 or .500 JRH.
    Now a 2 oz gun is too heavy for some. Guns have turned into Mattel plastic toys with grips for an elf.
    Revolvers have become better, stronger and bigger but someone still wants a .500 S&W with a 2" barrel???? They brag about shooting recoil but ask for 700 fps loads in a cannon.
    Today we have tough guys that buy the biggest and baddest but can't handle them. Pleasure is taking them out of the safe to show friends.
    I can't tell you how many .44's for sale with 3 loads shot. The guy got a big shock fast.
    Things have changed but I still want a real gun even if it pulls my pants off.
    I still love the 12#, .54 Hawken, I just go up the hills slower. I will always be a full size 1911 type guy. A big revolver is a pleasure. A long flinter is pure.
    Some come to shoot, tape fingers with band aids and put thick gloves on. How about a bungee cord to the ground? I laugh and I am over 75 years old.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    UNFORGIVEN western made the price of Spencer carbines go up sky high. I had to have one

At 9 pounds it fires a 52 cal 350 grain boolit at 1000 FPS.
    Now there are revolvers that make it look anemic.
    Yeah, but those revolvers are nowhere near as cool!
    Rule 303

In Remembrance
    When I was in middle school, I enjoyed hunting, hiking and fishing. I bought reloads from one of my TEACHERS.

Fast forward to today and there is not many places parents will allow their kids to hunt, hike and fish by themself, and nowhere I know of that you could ammo from a public school teacher. lol

Wish I would have had bills pops for a teacher!
    FEAR YOUR GOVERNMENT

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine

Moderator Emeritus

20 years ago South African surplus 308 was selling for something like 100 bucks a case. Surplus 223 was selling for less in bandoliers and stripper clips packed in brown 50 cal ammo cans. Wolf steel cased 7.62x39 was selling for 69 a case. SKS rifles still packed in cosmo and wrapped in grease paper were selling for 89 each or two for 150 at Bobs downtown Norfolk. I should have bought a pallet of the south african ammo....
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

... 20 + years ago up here in the land of ice and snow (Canada) we had several surplus dealers that were selling a varied mix of imported military surplus guns. There were some rough, but shootable 1911's (mostly Remington Rands) for $149.99 to $199.99 or if you bought 5 or more of the left over "orphans" towards the end of availability ... $100.00 each. They had a mixed bag of surplus Garands by all of the various manufacturers for about the same cost ... $149.99 to $200.00. (When they got to the "bottom of the barrel" they blew out the left over "roughie" Garands at $100.00 each as well.) There were surplus Danish Garands manufactured by Breda and Beretta for $300.00 that were arsenal refinished and like brand new, mostly with new barrels installed in the 90's before they were put up into surplus inventory. Now they sell for $1,200 to $1,500 if you can find one for sale! You could buy surplus '96 Swede Mausers in 6.5x55 for $69.00 ... or in "select" grade with perfect bores and all matching numbers for $89.99!
    Strangely, up here nearly everyone that I knew in the local shooting circles did reload and mostly with cast boolits too, but these days most of the younger generation of new shooters hit the gun shop for a batch of ammo, go shoot it all up, and leave the brass laying on the range. Go figure ...
    Revolvers were equally as popular here, but we've always had a strong PPC contingent around here and a dedicated ISPC crowd too ... and there is crossover with some of them shooting both disciplines.
    In my case I've always liked to shoot anything that goes "bang" from muzzle loaders (including a 1" bore ml cannon) to Trap or Skeet or revolvers or semi-autos. Just should have bought more of those "good deals" 20 + years ago! (20/20 hindsight like everyone else)
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    20 years ago, I was a sienor in high school. It was not uncommon at all to see pick up trucks in the parking lot of the school in the fall with rifles in the window. I know you boys remember those days. You'll never see that again.
    I'm still in my 20's and that was true for my high school. But then again, in "small town South Arkansas" we have always been 20years behind the times

Boolit Master

20 years ago I was shooting cast Boolits because I wanted to. Today I do it because its all I can afford to do!