Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to trapping!

Boolit Master

Are the traps in your first post pic the only ones you have?

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    I have to trap 'coons frequently in the barn, they come and eat the barn cats food. I use a live trap in case I get a cat by mistake I bait it with dry cat food and have found if I put a dish of water next to the food I get better results. On particularly hard to catch ones I have used marshmallow fluff because it sticks and can't be stolen, I put a glob in a empty cat food can and wire the can to the back of the trap and add a little grape jelly for aroma. I had one that was impossible to catch so I mounted a game camera and discovered my trap was too small. The extra large trap worked fine and I caught him quick, I loaned that trap to a neighbor who also had a problem 'coon and it worked so well he bought one of his own.
    http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/1081
    Last edited by Blacksmith; 01-17-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Added link to extra large trap
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master
    Yes the dog proof traps are the only ones I have right now.

I am keeping up hope that the temp difference from 12 to 45 in the last few days will help. Gonna try the different baits pretty soon here tho. Thought for sure the coon lure would help but no dice yet.

I thought about live traps but not sure what to do, since the corn we tossed on the logs is still just sitting where we put it. Anyone else have a problem getting coons if its cold?

Boolit Buddy
    The traps you have are fine. A trick a co-worker told me with these dog proof traps is to take a piece of the gummi orange wedge candy and stick it on the trigger. Coons like to not only smell and taste things, but like to see it as well. The trick with these traps is to give them something they have to work at getting since they have to pull the trigger. I have also squirted a bit of fish oil in the trap and enough dry cat food to cover the trigger, and some cat food sprinkled on the ground around the trap. I think the large amount in the trap causes them to fiddle in the trap enough to be caught. You will most likely do good over the next couple of days, as coons will hole up with shorter cold spells and come out when it warms up. Just remember it is getting close to breeding season, and they will start having rubbed neck fur causing it to be worth less.
    Last edited by cattleskinner; 01-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Many animals develop a routine and may visit an area every other night or every third night instead of every night unless you are near their den. Since you have a limited number of traps try putting bait in other areas and check to see if it disappears. Keep baiting the same areas to learn the animals habits and you can bait where there is soft ground to help learn to identify animal tracks. The more you know about your quarry, its habits, likes and dislikes the more success you will have.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master
    3/5 TODAY

Was just informed 1 of my 3 coons is actually a badger!!! Just goes to show how much I still have to learn. Just thought it was a funny looking raccoon. Although he was a bit more upset than the others, and not quite as hospitable!!!!

Wasn't the bait or the location, it turns out it was the COLD. High was 43 again today and WAMMO!!!! Had coons in 3 of the 5 traps!!! Seems like a GREAT score for me.

However came across a few problems, first is I definately need a pack or maybe a plastic sled!!! Coons gotta weigh at least 30lbs a piece, and tying them in trash bags then tying the bags to my backpack SUCKED!!!! Was thinking about just getting a laundry basket from the dollar store and putting some backpack straps on it and using that until I find something I like.

Second my flippin 22 pistol's back sight moved almost completely out of the dovetail and front sight is cockeyed. Not sure how that happened but definately caused me problems with hitting the coons where I wanted to.

Also I didn't know that they appear to have a seizure when they are dying. Thought it was trying to bite me so shot it a few more times just to be sure. Than waiting about 30 mins (went and checked the other traps) before I even poked it with a stick. He was the biggest of the bunch and if you can take a shot to the eye and still try to bite me your a pretty pissed off something or other.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP AND ENCOURAGEMENT
    Last edited by Bored1; 01-17-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: updated count info!!!

In Remembrance
    LOL Did you catch the badger in one of those traps?

Boolit Master
    Yea. Guess he liked wet cat food. Boy was he upset with me.

Boolit Master
    Very nice! I am supprised that you caught a badger in one of those traps, i have seen coyote sets that weren't strong enough to hold badgers! They can be pretty darn mean, but one whack on the end of the nose with a stick or shovel puts them right to sleep (Or a coon). Wait till you skin him though, they have a tough greasy hide and smell... a little lol
    Congrats on your win!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy
    How bad did the badger dig. There is a lot of info at www.Trapperman.com/forum. Yes there are other forums out there. For me, coons do not travel well when it is bitter cold. If temps stayed below freezing for extended periods (including day temps) i would see a significant drop in movement. Look out tho when temps start warming up - they'll all be out and hungary.

Boolit Master
    I've noticed the movement when its warmer too! Been pulling the traps anytime the temp is below freezing for a few days.

When checking the dp traps yesterday 4/7 were completely empty and the other 3 were empty down to the trigger, so something has figured out how to get the corn out of the traps without setting them off. So used marshmellows again and we will see what I find this afternoon when I get out there.

The badger didn't dig too bad but I think thats because the ground was incredibly hard in that spot. Took about 20 minutes of hacking with a drywall hatchet to get the stake back out of the ground.

If water is frozen solid, it may be too cold for the coons to be out. They don't travel much when it gets below 20 degrees. I liked to catch my coon in the Fall.

Boolit Master
    the deadliest set there is for coon is a live fish anchored to a stick a little ways off the bank in shallow water with the trap between the bank and the fish. I used soft wire and wired thru the gills and out the mouth. Might catch an otter or a mink, but not much chanch of catching dogs, cats, skunks or possums.

Boolit Buddy
    Bored 1 check check and see if there is a trappers assoiation in your area they can help alot . trapperman is a great place,trapper and predator caller is areally great magazine with how to stories and lots of dealers to buy from and the national trappers assoiation is the one you should join they fight for the trappers rights. If you have questions pm me.

Boolit Master
    Deep Creek I will definately be sending you a message come closer to the season opening. Forgot about the trapping section right now. Just starting to get everything ready for the upcoming season. Picked up a pretty cool offroad tank of a mini bike (thanks GREATLY to FREEBULLET!!!) to help me cover more ground this year and gonna go talk to the neighboors of the property I have permission on now to see if they will let me trap there too. Gonna start before Jan this year so should be able to try before everything is frozen solid again. Getting excited thinking about it!!!

Flounderman: I will have to give that a try this year. Didn't start last year until everything was frozen solid last year so no water trapping at all. Was gonna try muskrats under the ice, but after chopping through 22" of solid ice in the creek/pond thought better of that.

Get some foot holds like number 1 1/2 coil for your coon in water . As for what you said is the law for conis that is too small for coon on dry land 5" open will not work too good on coon . Are you able to use snares in your state. If so you will be able to use them for every thing just about to trap. Do more research on it like some stated on trapperman and other forums they will help and check there post you will find alot of info on there that will help . As for coon in the cold weather like you have trap when it warms up is when you will get them when you did other wise they do not move much. But the coyotes and fox will and the rats and beaver will under water and can set conis in there trails that you will find for all the bubbles under the ice.See what all the kind of traps you can use in there state and go from there.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA