RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seller's Remorse

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dudits View Post
    ...something to be refurbed and loved
    Refurbed- simple as a new blue job? What else might be involved?

Went from about a dozen guns down to only 3. The 20ga single shot shotgun my grandfather bought me for passing hunter safety class when I was 12yo (32 next month). The Stevens .22LR bolt action I use as a squirrel gun and to check the trapline. My 10mm Commander I built that is my carry gun, home defense gun, and general hunting weapon. Also used for slaughtering livestock before I butcher them.

The other guns I sold for various reasons and mostly to pay off debt. Some guns I never shot, like the Ruger .44 mag autoloader or the 12ga 870.

Some guns meant something to me. At 14yo I worked at a farm with my stepfather's father all summer long and saved up to buy a Remington 870 20ga youth shotgun with the bird barrel and slug barrel. Sold it 10 years later to a coworker for his little sister's first gun. Such a sweet little gun that would be perfect for grouse hunting with a longer stock. But I moved on. Ruger GP100 6 inch was my first handgun. Sold it to finance the purchase of my Glock 30, my first carry gun (sold later when I got tired of plastic guns). H&K P7 PSP was my childhood dream gun. Only gun with a squeeze cocking mechanism. Neat gun, shot it some, spent more time in the safe than in the holster or at the range, so bye-bye.

I own guns for purpose, not to look at. Some carry memory and sentiment, but they are just objects. That Stevens 22 rifle I have was my grandfather's, one of only three guns he ever kept after serving in both world wars. The two other shotguns were no name manufacturers and I ridded of them. I kept the .22 because it's a .22, but it's a neat little rifle. So simple. Needs some work on feeding issues and the muzzle crown could use a freshening up of sorts.

Guns are objects. I'll always have one, but I've gotten through life this far with only one holding any sort of unhealthy clinging and that's the 20ga single shot shotgun my grandfather bought me to start me off hunting. One shot at a time, I've shot around 10,000 rounds through that gun while hunting, skeet, trap, clay shooting, working up handloads, etc. It warms my grandfather's heart when I show him pictures of a limit's worth of ruffed grouse I killed with that shotgun he bought for me 20 years ago.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

A few years back my brother in law needed some money so I took his Remington 1100 and gave him $175.00. He was supposed to pay me back and get the gun back. 6 or 7 years went by and I started hunting with the gun. A year or 3 after that his brother in law wanted the gun, it had belonged to his Dad. The offer was $500.00. Because it used to be his father's gun and the price he was offering, I sold it. That shotgun would peel a squirrel from a limb at ridiculous distances and patterned good with buckshot and I still miss it.
    "Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters." Archibald Rutledge

http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master
    I won a DCM sniper grand aucton grand in the mid 90's. It was in great shape and had all the extras in new packages. I needed money about 12 years ago and sold it for $800. The gunshop did not even try to haggle. Now I see them for over $4k and are not as good. I never even fired it. About the same time I sold my brother my Colt AR15 Hbar, a few years later he sold it back to me.

Boolit Master

Let's see...

My 1st M1 Garand, Colt Lightweight Commander 9mm, S&W Mdl 29 in near mint condition and my 1st Contender are the major mistakes I've made selling guns.

Some were sold to finance other guns-like the Contender I sold to my brother so I could buy my son his first shotgun for Christmas. Don't regret that too much, just miss the gun so I bought a second hand replacement. I really regret the others I mentioned, but did replace the M1 for about double what I got for the 1st one.

I still have my 1st gun, a Win 94 .30-30....worked all summer when I was 14 to buy that rifle for $74 and some change-brand new! (Wish I'd have saved the box)

If you "have to sell" your Colt to get a competition gun, I'd wait to compete until I could afford the new gun. Can you compete with the revolver? If you know some of the other shooters, perhaps they would let you getstarted shooting their guns....

I'd think long and hard before letting your first gun go for that reason.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

I have to add my Rem 788 in 6mm.............. Absolute tackdriver.........traded it for a Marlin lever in .41 mag........ damn wish I had that one back too...........

Boolit Grand Master
    Model 12 cylinder choke. Model 121 .22 pump fieldmaster. Both of these rifles were the nicest guns. I've ever seen of the specific models.
    I got good money for both. I needed the money for a move 15 years ago. Also an AR-15 that I had tricked out. Currently gonna be heard replacing the AR, but I got good money for that as well.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Perma-Banned
    seller's remorse? only on just about every gun I've ever sold.

Boolit Master at heavens range
    I bought alot of old harleys back in the 60s for under $50.00,

Boolit Buddy
    Old Marlin 39A.

Boolit Master
    With that in mind I'd like your input on something I'm considering. I'm going to be joining a new range soon that has, among other things, practical pistol matches. I don't really have a good PP gun.
    If the matchs are IDPA or IPSC then they can be shot with a revolver but yes it is a handicap for most. Back when I shot IPSC with a highly modified 1911 .45ACP I was out shot afew times by those with revolvers but more often by those with 1911 in .38Super or those who were just better.

Like others here my first was really special ,it was a winchester 22 youth model single shot which I received for Christmas when I was 9 . I made the mistake of loaning it to a family member and he managed to lose it . I stil have my second gun which is an Ithaca Featherweight 20 ga. which I received for my 12th. birthday so it will be 56 years old in about six week.

I have been more of a pistol person than a revolver one all of my adult life and I have considered selling my old .38Special S&W base PPC my S&W .44 MAg. anda few others but decided that it is best to kept them. The way the gun grabbers are going they may grab all of our semi-autos but if we are then real lucky they may let us keep our revolvers,bolt actions,pumps,singles and doubles.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master

I've sold very few guns in my life and really only regretted one. It was a reblued Remington Rand 1911 that I traded a 1917 S&W for. I was working a summer job in Nebraska while in college. I sold it to a friend when I graduated in 1964 because I couldn't afford to shoot it. Used the money to buy a Ruger 10-22 that I could afford to shoot. Still have the Ruger.

I have a little bit of regret about the 1917 Smith but that is overshadowed by the 1911.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Haven't sold many that I miss, only one that comes to mind is a very early S&W 686 that I used for a duty gun and later a PPC "duty" match gun. One slick old gun but I sold it to another shooter, otherwise it would be sitting unused with my other match guns. I've never "had" to sell a gun, will be a sad day when I do but as has been pointed out, they're just objects.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

My S&W Model 28 i swapped it + $60 for a Ruger Security Six in stainless i do miss that pistol.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

yep, a reblue and possibly get the moving parts stoned down to like 3k. it really makes a difference.
    possibly some fancy new grips?

if ya start shooting the matches with a revolver when ya step up to a semi, you will prolly be ahead

p.s. them king cobra's are a nice looking
    Last edited by dudits; 04-11-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: more to add
    FEAR YOUR GOVERNMENT

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    Can you compete with the revolver?
    I do believe there's my answer. Revolvers are not common but perfectly legal in PP.
    Looks like I've got a new skill set ill need to acquire.

Never had it. I strongly believe there is 3 things a man should never sell guns,fishing gear and tools.

I have no regrets in any that I've traded/sold over the years. Being a gun dealer decades ago stripped the emotion out of the deal. I would, however, never sell my first gun. Maybe there is a bit of emotion still stuck on that one. Oh, and my first DCM M1....and I couldn't get rid of my bowling pin 45 either or the 22's or........

My 1st car. It was a 1988 Chevy Beretta. Loved that thing. My daddy bought it for me when I was 16 in 1996, The day I got my drivers lisence. I sold it when I was 24 and going through a divorce/custody battle for my 2 boys because I needed to money to fight him in court. I won so it was worth it, But I wish I never would have had to sell it. It had 430,000 miles on it and it was still running smooth. Sold it for $1,800.
    ~Andrea

Boolit Grand Master

Have probably sold off a dozen or more that I wish now I had back!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying