MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Masterbuilt 40" propane smoker

Banned

Problem with doing it that way is you have two grinders to clean and it takes alot longer to clean another one then it does to change plates. Dont know about all brands of grinders but the two i had the plates can be changed in about one minute.

I thought about having to clean two grinders as opposed to one as well. Trying to figure out what would work out best. I like the thought of a back up grinder.

I know for deer processing the customers will get their own animal ground and back. We won't mix animals together. For the pork grind, we may mix animals from the same source/owner brought in for slaughter at the same time.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Well, it turns out my grandfather has a smoker he doesn't use anymore. Talked with him at Christmas down in WI and he said I could have it. Couldn't bring it back with me because my truck was filled with presents and duffle bags for the trip. Said to stop by next time I'm down and have room to take it home.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Banned

what kind is it?

I have no idea. He said it was in the attic above the garage. I didn't bother to take a look at it. I remember him using it a few times for smoking catfish and bullheads. It might be a propane smoker. I don't think he's used it in 10 years. I should have gotten more details but Christmas at their house is complete chaos. Picture 40-50 people crammed into a ranch style home that's about 1,000 sq ft.

Live generously.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Anyone have this smoker or something similar? The price is in my budget range (sub $300) and propane is the heat source, which is convenient. Looking for mostly sausage smoking and possibly fish. I also want to try curing and smoking my own bacon from my farm raised pigs.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Maste...h-All+Products

I have used one of the electric ones and it is really slick. Digital temp control so is great for cold smoking. I will have one after using this one.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Mold
    I have several charcoal and electric smokers and have used a propane smoker. On big cooks I fire up all of my smokers and IMHO when tasted side by side you can definately taste the difference on meat smoked over charcoal/wood vs meat smoked on propane or electric.

I always recommend getting a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. Once you get it up to temp and get the air vent adjusted and temp stabilized, it will maintain temperature all day long. You could also add an aftermarket digital temperature regulator like an IQ for "set it and forget it" smoking.

The IQ 110 temp controller is hanging from my Weber Performer, and has a hose running into the bottom of the smoker.

You won't get a smoke ring with gas or electric.

Chris
    Last edited by shadowdog; 03-03-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdog View Post

You won't get a smoke ring with gas or electric.

Chris
    I use a charcoal smoker and I beg to differ, you most certainly will get a smoke ring with a gas or electric smoker, it is caused by the wood smoke not by the charcoal, gas and electric smokers are still just that, smokers, and use hardwood smoke that creates the smoke ring.

Banned

have to agree. I sure get a smoke ring with mine which is a gas smoker. Cant see why it would make a differnce in that your charcoal is basicaly there to burn your chips and cause smoke just like the propane does. Now if your talking just grilling between propane and charcoal the charcoal defineatly tastes better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I use a charcoal smoker and I beg to differ, you most certainly will get a smoke ring with a gas or electric smoker, it is caused by the wood smoke not by the charcoal, gas and electric smokers are still just that, smokers, and use hardwood smoke that creates the smoke ring.

Boolit Master
    I started out just using hickory in my smoker but got tired of trying to maintain 225F for 12 to 16 hours so I put a cheap propane grill burner in it and now the temperature stay withing 20 degrees for hours on end. I use hickory in the charcoal pan and smoked pulled pork (hams) come out just as good as with hickory only but no where near as much work.
    FYI You only need to maintain the wood smoke for around 4 hours.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Banned

i maintain my temp in my smoker box with an electric element. I have a seperate unit that produces the smoke that uses a gas burner. The gas burner will add some to the temp if cranked wide open but is primarily used to keep the wood smoking. It would be awful tough to maintain a constant temp with just wood or charcoal. Especially with something like summer sausages that needs to start at 120 and brought up in temp every couple hours. If you dont control it right you end up with a dried wrinkly hunk of meat.

i prefer wood smokers even though they are alot more work. there are plenty of plans available online for building a 2 stage smoker.

as for woods, i use apple and pear the most as i have both available on my property.
    hickory and mesquite i buy. a really good soak helps a lot. i add a bit of brandy or whiskey too.
    a good smoke ring can be had with any kind of smoker, provided ya use enough wood to produce it. i am also fond o f a thick bark on pork butts. when shredding it makes such a huge flavor boost.
    bone in porkbutt is also the way to go. so much flavor in the bone. it is also a good indicator to doneness. if the bone slides out with a slight pull it is done.

with a bundt cake pan and a dish and some ice you can make your own liquid smoke while smoking.
    it is nice to have in the fridge and tastes a ton better then store bought stuff.

most of my venison gets turned into sausage especially beer sticks.
    i found a place in central wisconsin that mixes pepper jack right into the sticks and i have not looked back since.

i have a cement canning cellar that i rarely use for it's intended purpose and am wanting to turn it into a curing room
    to make my own capicola's and procuitto's and soppressata if any of yall are into that sort of thing i would love to hear about it

jandjagger is also on the list if any of yall do that?
    FEAR YOUR GOVERNMENT

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine

I think for the best product wood is the best but it is a lot of work to keep the fire constant. I'm not fond of propane, when it burns one of the biggest by products is water. I've had good results with electric and its almost a set it, and forget it! I have done a lot of research and do have an uninsulated electric smoker (tough to regulate the temp when its cool out). I've also had wood smokers with straight wood and charcoal, produced some of my best product out of them. But I am single and have things to do so the next smoker I get will probably be this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Its the same company you picked the quality is good. Again just an opinion, and depending what you want to do is really up to you?? No matter what way you go its a lot fun!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master
    I like the offset smokers pretty well. I don't think they are the be-all end-all for smoking, but if it is one of the better quality offsets maintaining temps is not much of a chore. The better ones do cost upwards of $1800.00. I have a low cost Char Broiler offset that I modified and it will maintain +/- 5 degs. for a couple of hours at a time.
    This website has some pretty good info.: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789