Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 33 of 130 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Master
    Joemoe
    I would run them as is. If the shoot and don't lead your golden. If they lead then lube them. If it was me and they were to lead, which is highly unlikely, I would look at my alloy also.
    Just my observation but it doesn't look like you can bake very many at a time. I can get around 50 to 60 on my little cookie sheet.

Boolit Mold
    I can get 66 in my small oven ... i can hang 2 per paper clip and 11 clips per bar ... my small oven only fits 3 bars .

Boolit Master
    I think I am going to see if I can dig up some rods to hang paper clips on and give it a try.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    When coating with the clips as shown how do you get the part of your boolit that is facing down P Cd?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=joemoe;
    Those being HP, why not just run a screw through a piece of aluminum and set them on nose first. Don't need no hangers. Make a lazy suzan that rotates and get good coverage on all sides.

Shouldn't need lube or pc in the groove, grooves are not touching rifling. If I understand it correctly, the pc is taking all of the pressure and there is little contact with the lead at all.

EW

Not sure why you guys and gals are trying to powder coat the front half of the ogive?

What's wrong with a lead point and coating the base completely?

Because a solid color boolit with professional looking results will get people talking at IDPA/USPSA matches.

I want PC on the ogive so I don't have feed ramp problems. I like the paper clip idea, cheap and throw away. The problem with the wire idea is having them roll together to the center. They don't lead if the groove isn't coated, after 100 my bbl had just 1 bump of lead at the chamber end, probably shaved some PC off when seating.

Boolit Mold
    I do get some uneven coat on the bottom side of a few of them, but generally the part I care for (the base and the side walls around it) is all covered. However, now that you mentioned it I could find a way to raise the bars so that I can come in from the bottom too. Thx Bill, I'll have to try and see. Oh by the way, a warning "Don't sneeze when moving the bars", I use 2 needle nose pliers to grab the bars to place them in the oven, I let out one big sneeze when adjusting a bar in the oven ... boy what a mess.

Boolit Mold
    Guys since we are baking these boolits as a process of curing the paint, can we also use this time in the oven to heat treat these boolits as well? It might be a dumb question since I'm new to this. But can we just bake them a bit longer and quench them when they come out? As is, I'm curing at 400 degrees for 30 mins.

Boolit Mold
    I've been reusing the paper clips so far with no issues. Cheap enough to throw away when they stop working. For the bars, I covered them up with aluminium foil and change them when they seem to lose conductivity.

I was looking at toaster ovens at wally world today.

Is it bad to get one that is convection? I see where there are little vents or slots inside and can see the fan blades.

Is that going to blow the powder off?

Russel check your near Salv. Army... Seen a bunch there today (looking for cupcake pans for lube making lol) for under $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Russel Nash View Post
    I was looking at toaster ovens at wally world today.

Is it bad to get one that is convection? I see where there are little vents or slots inside and can see the fan blades.

Is that going to blow the powder off?
    Connection should be good, I do not think it will blow the powder off. I will be using a convection oven myself.
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Okay, thanks.

I was trying to get some idea of dimensions in case I wanted to make an angle iron frame with the wires like I previously posted about.

Some of the higher end toaster ovens have a digital display where you can punch in the temperature and set a countdown timer. The lower end toaster ovens, besides being smaller, were kind of vague about an actual for real temperature setting. Like it might have a setting for pop tarts and then another setting for frozen personal pizza.

Boolit Master

Oven

I purchased a GE Counter Top Convection Oven at Wal-Mart.

I have coated over 8000 bullets in this oven, it cost somewhere around 70 to 80 dollars.

i clean the glass with a single edge raiser blade in a plastic holder from time to time and clean the wire support tray on a wire wheel from time to time.

The powder coat will get on the glass and the wire support tray no matter how careful you are in handling the aluminum foil covered plate with the coated bullets.

The oven has worked well for curing powder coated bullets.

By carefully stacking the bullets I can get a 13 x 13 arrangement of bullets on the plate and still have room to coat the bullets, each time results in 169 coated bullets.

I have an old electric kitchen oven I will try next after a fan is installed to stir the air a little in the oven.

Boolit Bub
    My first small batch turned out perfect. I made a tray out of heavy sheet metal, drilled holes in a grid pattern on 1 " centers, staggering the rows and welded roofing nails in the holes. I then chucked my lyman case sizer in the lathe and drilled small holes in the points of the bullets creating mini hollow points. Placed the bullets point down on the nails and powder coated a small batch. Popped them in the toaster and twenty minutes later I got yellow bullets. I tried muzzleloader (REAL, rifling engraved at loading) and you can just barely see where the bullet was kissing the lands. I think this changes everything for bullet casters. No more gas checks, no more sabots for muzzleloaders, no more leading. Here are pictures from today's efforts..

In the oven

Out of the oven (no aluminum foil used, and lifted off with no effort)

Single bullet, if you look close you can see the rifling marks.

The mini hollow points.

i have been waiting to find an old kitchen oven. i have the space out back in my glassbloring/bladesmithing shop so i am hoping now that the weather is warm ovens will start popping up.
    the idea of no leading, higher velocity ammo is a great thing.

may have to go get a toaster oven from goodwill just to get started cause seeing all these results is making me jealous.
    FEAR YOUR GOVERNMENT

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine

russel nash- i bet you got some odd looks taking those pics in walmart of a toaster oven with money in it
    FEAR YOUR GOVERNMENT

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine