MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Marlin 1895G vs New Rossi Rio Grande

Boolit Buddy

New Marlin 1895G vs New Rossi Rio Grande

I am about to purchase a new 45-70 rifle for hog hunting in East Texas. I am torn between the 1895 Guide Gun (blued) and the Rossi Rio Grande. I have researched the Marlins, or "Remlins" as they are now called, as well as the Rossi. I will be purchasing new, as I've scrubbed the countryside for used examples of the Marlin. So, please consider that I'll either be buying a new Remington-made Marlin, or a new Rossi.

The Rossi is about $120 less than the Marlin. That's a plus in my book. Both actual rifles seem constructed well, with fitment and finish being quite good. The Marlin is made in the USA, which is a plus in my book. However, it's not a plus if the quality down the road is ****. Same goes for the Rossi.

I've no experience with Marlin, ever. I had a Rossi .22 pump when I was a kid that was nothing but trouble. Ended up being returned and swapped for an Iver Johnson pump (fantastic).

Given the above, and that I'm not purchasing used, which would be the better "long term" buy? By that, I mean I'd want to pass it down to my son someday. Oh, and I want to use it a lot, experimenting with loads from plinking to full-house "bruisers."

Boolit Grand Master
    Marlin. Easier to scope. Easier to clean from the breech.

In the last coupla months I bought a Marlin 1895C and had to send it back to Remington 'cause the sights didn't line up on top of the barrel. They fixed it (rebarreled) and sent it straight back promptly and I didn't have to touch the sights to bullseye it @ 50 yds. I bought a Rossi in 45 Colt and had to order an new front sight to get it to hit @ 50 yds. When I called Rossi, I couldn't understand the person on the other end, so I just bought one online to solve my problem. I would hate to have to send a Rossi back for repairs based on my experience. The choice is yours, I can only offer my own experience which is limited. Both shoot darn good and function well. I like both and if I had it to do over, I would probably do the same damn thing.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    marlin. Easier to scope. Easier to clean from the breech.
    amen on the breech!!
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks folks, that's exactly the push towards the Marlin I needed. I was lured in on the Rossi a bit by the cost delta as well as the similar fit and finish. Was thinking those dollars could go towards the dies and mould. However, a hundred or so bucks difference won't matter a year from now, much less 30 years from now. Thanks again.

Boolit Buddy
    Picked it up this afternoon. I'm very pleased, overall. The one I got was the display model (all that was left). The wood to metal fit on it is not what I'd call ideal, so I'll be sending it in on warranty sometime soon. Not a huge deal, but I consider my guns as items I'll be handing down. I decided to snap it up anyway since they're so hard to come by around here. Thus ends the 4-month search for a Guide Gun in Dallas.

In Remembrance
    Do they warranty wood to metal fit???

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Tear it down all the way and inspect it real good.
    There was one that was sent out from the factory with a cracked receiver.
    Could of been in this forum or over on the Marlin Owners Forum that i had seen it.
    Either way it is going back to the factory.

I bought a 1894 Marlin in 45 Colt online from Cabela's.
    It went back to the factory and had the barrel replaced.
    It was missing some lands and grooves the last 1/2" of the barrel.
    Never even put a round through it!! Got it back and all was good.

Tom

Last year I bought a 2002 GG for $400, and it will be with me for the rest of my days.
    It wasnt new, it had 8 rounds fire thru it. It was more than the owner could handle recoil wise.
    Being that he bought the wrong ammo, I took them a part, repowdered them with R-7, and they worked just dandy.
    My buddy had a Rossi for 4 months, sold it and bought a Marlin
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Here is the link on the cracked receiver.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ma...-1895-gbl.html

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=btroj;2133712]Marlin. Easier to scope. QUOTE]

How do you figure? The Rossi comes with a scope mount already installed just add rings/scope and go

Boolit Grand Master
    [QUOTE=NVScouter;2166761]
    Marlin. Easier to scope. QUOTE]

How do you figure? The Rossi comes with a scope mount already installed just add rings/scope and go
    Then I stand corrected. My bad.

Boolit Grand Master

Good call on the Marlin but I've been looking pretty hard at a Rossi project. What kind of wood-metal fit issues did you find? The recent production Remlins I've examined have all been pretty decent, possibly better than late production (pre Rem) Marlins. Don't much care for the finish and the wood I've seen is pretty plain but I can deal with that.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=btroj;2167807]
    Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post

Then I stand corrected. My bad.
    No problem G-Money
    I've been searching for a 45-70 and had 2 shops tell me that they won't buy new ones any longer due to Marlin's current quality. I bought the Rossi and besides coming filthy out of the box overall fit is pretty good. It needed a serious cleaning then heavy oil and another cleaning to feel better. I also had to polish down one roll pin on the lever and tighten 2 screws. I'm off to shoot today so ill follow up.

Boolit Master

I bought a Remlin 45-70 back in Dec. I'll never buy another Marlin/Remlin "new" again.
    Started out the loading gate was so stiff, it was a real chore gettting it loaded, then there was burrs so bad on it, that when loading it up, it would gall the brass, then the extractor had burrs that was taking chunks out of the case rim.
    And on top of that the action when cycling has a gratey feel and the trigger is about 8.5lbs
    It's at the gunsmiths now....paying for QC is not what I feel I should have to do, once they've left the factory.

Boolit Master
    Marlin. Easier to scope. Easier to clean from the breech.
    The Rossi is just a better a built knock off of a new Marlington. they come apart the same way, and clean them same way.

Banned

The 92 is a stronger action. Definitely not a "95" knock-off. The primary similarity is that they are both lever action guns.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    I would look far and wide in the used market.
    Good point, plenty out there if you just look. Will be easier to find when the current silliness settles down.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Can't compare the Rossi 92 to the Rio Grande models at all. Now the Rio Grande break down the same as the Marlin 336 which is pretty easy so they are also just as easy to clean as a marlin period. The Rossi 92 is based on a Winchester 1892 rifle with a stronger design which makes it one if not the strongest gun in its class.

Oh and I happen to own a 92 in 45 Colt and a RG in 45-70. I was going into buy a Marlin until I compared 2 different Marlins I left with the Rio Grande as well as cheaper in my opinion a better gun period.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    For all this griping and complaining (not saying it is unwarrented) why do I never see these horrible guns on the racks at reduced prices. I will gladly buy this "junk" as long as the barrel is not installed sideways. I figure there must be a ton of fellas looking for project guns and I show up to late!
    Look twice, shoot once.