Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Have the hoarders bought up all of the 22LR???

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Maybe you guys need to come here to show our guys how to do it then. We've only been at it since the 1930's. And yes there is a shortage of ammo available for the kids!

I'll venture that the attendance at the NRA Metric SmallBore Matches will be lower also this year.
    Good on you for running the club and program for the youngsters.
    No need to come there. I can tell you how we did it. We spend $$$$$$$$. and bought A LOT of rimfire ammunition. We have it stored safely in several locations. We top it off every year. A shortage like this will just mean we buy a little more next year than usual to top off.
    At the other club, we buy about 50k rounds every two years for members to buy off the club at cost plus a very little profit so that when we repurchase we have enough to account for price increases. Members can buy by the the box, brick or case.
    I guess we just like to shoot and admittedly, or clubs have lots of money.

Quote Originally Posted by shotstring View Post
    True in part, but I don't think anyone saw the shortage extending to 22 rimfire to the degree that it has. Price gouging is always a result in shortages of this magnitude, but the people that are really fueling the madness are the folks that continue to pay these ridiculously high prices. Refuse to pay them and the price gouging will stop. I was fortunate enough to put away enough 22 lr for several years of shooting, but I would feel guilty as hell if I tried to sell of my excess at the prices some people are asking. When preying on the misfortunes or short sightedness of others in this country is merely considered to be "good business", we get a glimpse of both what we have become as well as what we are becoming in this country.
    The country is the same as it has always been. Haves and have nots. Strife about Political/social/religious/ethnic/nationality/gender/sexual differences. There has never for one day of this nation been a happy, homogenous population in harmony. There is not a single historical account of this nation that supports that idea.

As for the shortage extending to 22lr ammunition, the shortage STARTS with 22lr ammunition. It is so universal it is a form of currency. It has been the no. 1 used cartridge in the world for more than 100 years. If anyone did not see that coming I don't even know what to say.
    Last edited by lawboy; 03-14-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: editted for spelling and tone issues

Banned
    Since I have enough .22LR and 22Mag to last me the rest of my life at my current rate of usage, I don't have a dog in this fight. However, I can also load 9mm, 38 SPL, 40S&W, and 45ACP for the same or less than a round of 22lr costs. The only time I use 22lr is while my rifles are cooling down between strings. I use my Ruger 22/45 that has a 2.5X7 scope on it at 100 yds off the bench. If I do my part it will, with the ammo it likes and no wind, keep all its shots inside the end of a coke can at that 100yards. I like that pistol.

Boolit Master

Heard today that the next 2 years worth of .22 production are spoke for , as far as distribution. I'd hope that demand slacks and the shelves can stay stocked before then, but meantime, I've quit giving .22's away unless you and your kids are REAL close friends. .22's are the new gold !

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Heard today that the next 2 years worth of .22 production are spoke for , as far as distribution. I'd hope that demand slacks and the shelves can stay stocked before then, but meantime, I've quit giving .22's away unless you and your kids are REAL close friends. .22's are the new gold !
    I have a few bricks of Stingers that I won't use unless I have to. I just started shooting my Beeman 22 air rifles more no big deal to me I enjoy them as much as my 22's. I've past up a few chances to get more 22lr at a good price because they weren't what I like and I thought I'd leave them for others that may really need them. Now if people will just stop buying from the auctions at high prices they resellers will stop buying all the stock to resell at mind blowing prices.

Swamp Man I have to admit that I laughed out loud for a minute or two when I saw that new avatar of yours. KUDOS !!
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of the Presidency represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H.L. Mencken Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the Public with the Public's money". Alexis de Tocqueville 1835

Boolit Master
    I went to Walmart yesterday and the ammo shelves were as bare as a hooker's bottom on Saturday night. Nothing. The day before I was in a little gun shop and the owner asked ME if I had any .22, he was willing to buy it because he had a long line of customers with backorders. I said not at the moment but its nice to know that if I needed money that I could get rid of some ammo when I need money (which is every week). I have some Winchester .22 match that was finicky in my Colt Woodsman along with some CCI Green Tag that I forgot I owned so if I do need cash I can probably get rid of it. It would be a last resort though because I hate selling my ammo.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Swamp Man I have to admit that I laughed out loud for a minute or two when I saw that new avatar of yours. KUDOS !!
    Kind of tells you what I think about uncle Sambo's drones,don't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    Kind of tells you what I think about uncle Sambo's drones,don't it?
    Believe me - I am right there with you!
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of the Presidency represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H.L. Mencken Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the Public with the Public's money". Alexis de Tocqueville 1835

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
    Good on you for running the club and program for the youngsters.
    No need to come there. I can tell you how we did it. We spend $$$$$$$$. and bought A LOT of rimfire ammunition. We have it stored safely in several locations. We top it off every year. A shortage like this will just mean we buy a little more next year than usual to top off.
    What do you consider $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, we sponser close to 400 kids. Some of them shoot in the NRA matches, bricks for that Cost in the neighborhood of $190.00 each.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

[QUOTE=lawboy;211551
    At the other club, we buy about 50k rounds every two years for members to buy off the club at cost plus a very little profit so that when we repurchase we have enough to account for price increases. Members can buy by the the box, brick or case.
    I guess we just like to shoot and admittedly, or clubs have lots of money.[/QUOTE]

Wow, 50K rounds available for the club members, my personal stash is more than that most accumulated from years past before this fiasco started 5 years ago. Much of the rimfire goes back to $5/6 dollar a brick pricing. Primers go back to $40/45 bucks a sleeve of 5,000. and powder is in the $8.00 range encluding hazmet.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

What do you consider $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, we sponser close to 400 kids. Some of them shoot in the NRA matches, bricks for that Cost in the neighborhood of $190.00 each.
    Yup. That is money!

Wow, 50K rounds available for the club members, my personal stash is more than that most accumulated from years past before this fiasco started 5 years ago. Much of the rimfire goes back to $5/6 dollar a brick pricing. Primers go back to $40/45 bucks a sleeve of 5,000. and powder is in the $8.00 range encluding hazmet.
    Now that is what we are talking about! Thinking ahead! Well played!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
    The country is the same as it has always been. Haves and have nots. Strife about Political/social/religious/ethnic/nationality/gender/sexual differences. There has never for one day of this nation been a happy, homogenous population in harmony. There is not a single historical account of this nation that supports that idea.

As for the shortage extending to 22lr ammunition, the shortage STARTS with 22lr ammunition. It is so universal it is a form of currency. It has been the no. 1 used cartridge in the world for more than 100 years. If anyone did not see that coming I don't even know what to say.
    Correct me if I'm missing something here, but we have had shortages before several times. This is the first time I can remember where 22 ammunition was non existent except for high end match ammo. And heck, even if you were to see this coming, who has the money to cover all the bases? I have powder and brass for all the calibers I shoot put away - to the tune of several thousands of dollars. Now add bullets for all of the above as well as bullet casting equipment and molds and you can add many thousands more. With all that, I still didn't get enough of my centerfire rifle jacketed match bullets, but at over $300 per thousand, how many can a person afford for all their calibers and bullet weights? And then I find out that 22 is going the same route and just slipped a few orders in before the door was shut. But that cost me another 2 grand, because I also shoot match competition, so the moderately priced 22 ammo for competition is also gone - anything under a thousand dollars a case. But I'm covered. Had I waited another few weeks, I would have been out of luck. I think a lot of people saw this coming but couldn't afford to do much about it.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

In Remembrance
    In the 08 shortage, it was several months before there was a 22 shell on the shelf. It was even worse than most other ammo and brought wild prices at estate auctions, here in alaska anyway.

I'm watching what types of ammo are showing up more and staying in stock longer. Here is what I've noticed shotshell and slugs for 410,28 & 20 as well as 7mm,30.30,30.06 and a few others rifle ammo are in stock more now. Form what I'm seeing locally I believe the last to come back will be 223,9mm and 22lr with 9mm and 22lr being the last to return to full stock.

Boolit Master

I think you've probably got it, or very close, Swamp Man. The stuff that's shot a bit less is recovering (though I saw a fair amount of 12 Ga. on the shelves the last couple times I couldn't find as much as a single box of .22 LR); the most popular (.22 LR, 9 mm, .25 ACP, .223) will be the last to fill back in.

I've been trying for a couple months to get 500 rounds all alike to take to Appleseed; I've got about 350 Thunderbolts and I've concluded they'll have to do.

Boolit Bub
    Don't see hardly any 22 in my area. Was at a gun show in Columbus, OH last weekend and it was a waste of $6 bucks to go in. Not much to look at and what was there was of no interest to me.

Just did quick runthrough on gunbroker. Very disheartning. People on there with cases of 22lr. All going for astronomical prices. 1000 rnds of cheap rem. up to$100. Reserve not met.

Boolit Grand Master

This one?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=333470579
    Look like there's one feller there who's doing all the bidding. You know what they say, a fool and his money are soon parted. There's some really wealthy idiots out there!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.