Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Magazine???

Boolit Grand Master
    "Handloader" and "Rifle" are among the better ones out there, but as Hornet said they are pale imitations of their condition 15-20 years ago. I think gunrags are going the way of the condor......big ugly birds that thrived in times of larger game carcasses, and only survive today through strident advocacy and artificial environment.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Another vote for Rifle & Handloader. Other than Varmint Hunter, I have stopped all my other "Grocery Store" magazines.

Varmint Hunter has very little to do with cast boolits, but they still have some very good technical articles ar times. However, lately, everything has been 17 cal this or 20 cal that. Bout had enough of those BB guns articles.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    I only subscribe to specialty publications anymore: BPCR News, Single Shot Journal, Remington Society of America Journal. Handloader and Rifle have seen their best days, as far as I'm concerned; as soon as they started putting animals on the covers I knew my subscribing days were numbered. Although I do see a legitimate need to keep up with industry developments, twelve issues a year devoted to them is a little much. Precision Shooting used to be great when it was half the pages it is now and no index (whatever happened to Merrill Martin, anyway?); now it's as product/gimmick oriented as any of them. I dropped it when I could no longer count on getting one interesting article, at least, per issue, on the average.

I think the problem is not in our magazines but in ourselves. For most people, shooting sports are fairly finite: big game hunting, varmint/small game hunting, a shooting/reloading column, a general Q&A column, a little tech lite here and there and an occasional target shooting, minor gunsmithing or antique/historical article is about all the mass audience can handle. Imagine how many people would subscribe to a magazine with articles like our discussion threads. As interesting as they are to us, the publisher couldn't sell enough ads on a base like that to pay for the paper and ink.

I mostly look for old magazines to complete my series, and reread them. Amazing how well the good articles hold their interest, even on the fourth or fifth reading. I wish Broadfoot would come through on their promise to reprint Arms and the Man. I read their Shooting and Fishing series cover to cover.

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    I'm at a point of just letting the subscriptions run out on Shooting Times, Guns&Ammo, American Handgunner and Guns bit the bullet a long time ago with me.

I consider Gun World and the editor Jan Libourel a good friend. But even his publication is getting to wackey with the Tactical Ninja warrior weapons. But once in awhile he really rings the bell with stuff on the older S&W prewar revolvers.

I'm not one that should be talking, in my garage are cardboard boxes of old gun magazines that date back to the early issues 30 years ago.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

I am an Endowment member of the NRA. I will get the American Rifleman until I die. However, the quality is NOT high. I sure do miss the days of Al Barr and company. I sure wish the Rifleman would go back to being a real gun magazine...

their TV show is pretty good except for the HORRIBLE "music". I can hardly stand to listen to the commentary for the "jarring" background "music" ...

Dale53

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I like Fur, Fish, and Game. And Backwoodsman. I get American Rifleman, as an endowment member. There aren't any magazines out there that hold my attention ll that much.

Moderator Emeritus

I second Backwoodsman which is usually a good read. I switch between American Rifleman and American Hunter but neither impresses me a lot. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub

gun mags.

One of the American Rifleman,s writers stated in an article that you did not have to practice as much when using Branes bullets as those bullets would kill.Bob B

Boolit Buddy

I get Handloader, but I too miss the ones written in the past. Technically they're not even close to being the same magazine. Another thing that concerns me is that I quit reading Shooting Times many years ago and now all the writers from Shooting Times are writing for Handloader.
    What I have considered lately is that Handloader and I think Rifle have offered all there old issues on CD, oh man what a treasure trove all those old Handloaders would be.
    Jeff

Hey 45nut-

How da' ya' get your boolits to be that pretty gold color?
    Mine aways come out lookin' kinda' silvery like.

Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    A couple of my favorite magazines...........

45nut, that pistol sure looks like a Randall...is it???

Is it the commander model with the round hammer.

Jim

This is mine in long slide.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

yeap.. Randall Service C . When I carried it I had it stoked with Blazer FLGC's.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master

I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the current crop of gun mags. I agree completely. I reread a large stash of old stuff when I'm not here. Thats why I've offered some of the "old stuff" in a forum auction. Great reading and they(Issue s #1 & #6) are of a rag gone extinct. Right now it looks like No_1 is gonna 'win' them for $20. Oh well, if ya snooze ya loose.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Handloader and Rifle but they cost me an arm and a leg to get them up here.
    I see in the last year they set up an office in Ontario so maybe it will get better.
    Get a couple of Canadian mags and actually I think they are pretty good.
    Alberta Game Warden and Western Canada Life.
    Ken
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Master

Handloader and Rifle are nice. The "grocery store" mags leave a lot to be desired. I usually read them standing at the rack then put them back. I believe it is Shooting Times that has Mike Venturino writing articles on a lot of cast stuff so that's nice, but all the other highspeedlowdragtacticalurbansubduedcoyoteodgreen guns and gear don't do a lot for me.

Mike must have had a falling out with ST, he writes for Guns magazine now, and I see some of his stuff in Handloader as well.

45nut, nice Randall you got there, mine is forsale in the classifieds forsale section on this forum.

Jim

In Remebrance

Ric mentioned 2 of my long time favorites: Fur-Fish-Game and Backwoodsman. Two simple mags of more general interest, but really practical articles. There used to be one called Ridge Runner that was similar, it's gone now I think.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    One of the American Rifleman,s writers stated in an article that you did not have to practice as much when using Branes bullets as those bullets would kill.Bob B

So, he's an idiot!

Greetings from a new member.

Anyone have any more info on the Black Powder Hunting mag? Is it a good mag worth my time? If so, I am interested. Thanks.

Handloader today can't hold a candle to the same mag 10 to 15 years ago.

And I am getting tired of Venturino's attitude. Too much of anything (his attitude) is too much. Give me the old time, respectful writers!!!

I do enjoy Guns & Ammo TV program though.
    Just Another Voice in the Crowd!

Hi Rafsob, welcome to the board.