Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dad's 45-70

Boolit Master

Dad's 45-70

With everything going on that I discussed in an earlier thread, I was so glad to find that this gun had some how been over looked. I started begging dad to give me this rifle before I was big enough to even pick it up or know what cal it was. The only thing I knew about it was it was the most beautiful gun I ever laid eyes on. The photos do not do this thing justice. Dad could do beautiful work, especially considering that even most of the metal work was done by hand. He and his friend would only build 4 or 5 rifles a year, but they sold for good money even back in the 60's and 70's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3001.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	62367

Name:	100_2999.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	62368

Name:	100_2998.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	62369

Name:	100_2997.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	62370

Name:	100_2994.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	62371

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

Wow...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, I ditto Sweet Pea! That is a work of art Joe!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    WOW!!! A piece of ART you got there!!!

Boolit Master
    Can I shoot it?

Boolit Master
    That is a beautiful stock , looks like he was a true artist.
    jim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Can I shoot it?
    I will tell you what. If I can ever swing a trip up to your neck of the woods, I will make sure I bring it so you can shoot it. I would love to take a bear or moose with it. I wonder how many feet of meat and bone I can shoot through with a case full of Alliant 2400 behind a 405 grain cast? That was dad's pet load for that rifle. At 500 yards a gallon milk jug didn't stand a chance with an off hand shot from the old man when he was in his prime. He was around 55 years old when the rifle and his pet load separated a half dozen or so ribs from his spine. After that it became a safe queen. I personally am pulling down the few pieces of ammo that he had left for that rifle. Dad was 6' 6" and weighed 300 lbs when he was a young man in his prime. I don't have the bones and build to pull the trigger on his loads. Especially now that I have so much hardware in me after my free Southwest Asian Vacation. I will save a couple of dad's loads if any want to come pull the trigger on them.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    That there's a beautiful rifle. I have a very nice conversion of a Siamese Mauser to .45-70 which would be the last gun gone in difficult times, it is accurate, powerful and will do anything I task it with this side of Africa. That being said, it sure ain't as Purdy as yours. Glad you got it before the scavengers got to it.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master
    Going back to a time when I thought it was fun I topped out the old Speer manual at 62gn Reloader 7 with their 405 gn bullet for something about 2200 fps.
    No sign of high pressure at all so contacted the tech at Speer which was just over the hill at the time I was living in the Bitterroot.
    He told us the data for the manual was not discontinued because they reached max pressure but because the tech could no longer stand the recoil.
    This data was from the section for Siamese Mauser, Ruger #1 and Browning B-78

In Remembrance

Awesome gun and fearsome loads. I'm not pulling the trigger on those!

Boolit Master
    That's a beauty,my dad's 45/70 is a trapdoor that I inherited in 1977.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master

Almost too purdy to shoot . . . Well, almost.

I read the other thread, sure is great you got this one.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Anyone would be proud to own such a fine piece of art and machinery.

Thanks for sharing!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Thanks for sharing - Lots of bubba'd guns out there but a few were done by craftsmen, and it's always a pleasure to see one.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    A lot of memories in that gun, enjoy them.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Buddy
    That looks like a stock blank from Herters. That is definately their zigzag line spacers.

That is a true relic from the past. I wish it were mine. It takes me back to the 60's.

Wow ! Very beautiful rifle in an amazing caliber ! Enjoy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lmcollins View Post
    That looks like a stock blank from Herters. That is definately their zigzag line spacers.

That is a true relic from the past.
    Dad always purchased his hardware from Herters when they were open. I can remember as a very young lad making a trip twice a year to Herters. I would spend hours wandering the store looking at the wildlife collection and antique fishing tackle. At the end of the day or two days, the truck would be loaded with gun parts, primers, powder and bullets and we would head home.

I never gave it a thought about the Herters connection with that old rifle, but since you mentioned it, yes I am sure the grip cap, spacers, and recoil pad as well as the wood is from Herters. I remember Dad cutting out that stock. It took a long time because he had to do most of it with rasps to shape it. He was able to inlet it with a hammer and chisels, because he was glass bedding it. On the out side, even with chisels that were sharp enough to shave with, they would break and tear out the little birds eye spots in the wood. That was the first and last birds eye maple stock dad ever cut. He told me when I ask about cutting one, that for the amount of time it takes to make one it doesn't pay out unless one plans on keeping it.

Thank you all for your kind words and helping refresh my memory of days long past. I am so glad I got that gun back. I have waited a life time for this rifle, and I am so relieved that it is in my possession now since dad is no longer with us.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    Wow...
    My exact word and thought!

Stunning!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    That maple stock is so mottled and burled, I thought it was a camo job when I saw it on my phone!
    Really awesome, Joe. That thing is beautiful. And yes, if that load pulled six ribs off a 6'6 man at 300 pounds, I dang sure aint the man for calling someone weak cause they wont touch one off! Oooff!
    That has to be close to or over African Game standards.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.