42 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caliber dilemma

Banned

25-223 would be my pick

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    25-223 would be my pick
    That picture above is probably going to cost me some $.

None of the above. I'm not an AR fan at all, but I'd pick the 6mmx45. Why? Well, I just last week bought a large lot of 6mm j-warts for a good pre-famine price, whereas you can't even find 5.56 j-warts to buy, except at insane prices on Gunbroker. My recently acquired Savage .223 bolt gun will be converted to 6x45 ASAP, (I'd go .243 except that I've already got one of those). Because of the longstanding popularity of the .243, there's an abundance of 6mm j-warts of all shapes and sizes, even a 90 grain FMJ. Much better selection than 6.8 or 6.5. The .300AAC I won't speak to - it's just a fad IMHO. (Let the flaming begin! )
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy

i was going to build an upper in 6mm-223. before every thing went crazy. same mags and bolt but the 6mm performance.
    and hornady has a nice die set to up size the 223 brass.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

I think in your situation I'd build two uppers, 223 and 300 AAC. I'm even considering a 300 AAC and I don't especially like MSR's.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    If you have a 5.56 already then go Grendel. I have 2 Grendels and they have yet to disappoint me.
    John
    Coffee fueled, Beer cooled!

Boolit Master
    I voted 6.8 now that I've seen the 6.8 200 gr subsonic! Impressive ballistics!

Boolit Master

Already have 5.56, next receiver which is on its way is going to be 300BO.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

6x45mm with 1:12" twist barrel.

Boolit Mold
    I don't know how people can discount the BLK. If the Special Forces decided the 5.56 wasn't enough and chose the .300 BLK that is a good reason to buy in at least a little. The 5.56 was designed to wound, not kill. It takes 2 guys to carry a wounded guy off the front lines, so it ties up 3 people. That was the goal of the government. The 5.56 wasn't a one shot one kill weapon for our military.
    I put a .300 BLK together to put down feral hogs and to have fun with. Think it will make for a great Hog Hammer! I have spoken to a few people that don't recommend even shooting hogs with a .223 because they "are not effective". Just spoke to a guy that has a son working in Texas and he uses a night vision setup on the ranch owners AR. Guess it takes 3 shots to put a hog down most of the time. They hunt in pairs and both are 5.56 caliber ARs that are used. Not saying I don't have a .223, they work great on small stuff. I don't use them on coyote anymore either though. The .204 Ruger has surpassed the .223 there so badly it has relegated the .223 to even smaller game.
    On my AR I mounted the Nikon P300 scope, allows for quick acquisition and so far works great. Lots of loads available because of the .30 cal bullet. The .30 cal has been around a while so the bullet powder combos are quite impressive IMO. The only thing tempting to me besides the BLK would be the 6.8 SPC or one of the 6.5s....Creedmore or Grendel. An AR in 5.56 is a waste of time IMO unless you are overrun by groundhogs. I didn't even shoot one bullet out of my RRA barrel. Not even sure where it is right now honestly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coonazz View Post
    If you have a 5.56 already then go Grendel. I have 2 Grendels and they have yet to disappoint me.
    John
    ^^^^what he said^^^^

After my last post I did get my Grendel done, and have had time to shoot it. It is not cast friendly like the 300 BO, but what a tack driver! Not even fun till you get out to 200 yards because it shoots like a laser. It will be on my shoulder for the general deer season opener this year. I might have time to develop my elk load this month too. there is confirmed elk kills out to 400 yard with a 123 grain bullet with the Grendel. Granted I am no pro hunter so I expect to take no 400 yard shots with it, but if a 200 yard shot presents itself I would, that is if I get the load done if not it is the 30-06.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on 50 Beowulf! Funnet than a barrel of monkeys!

None of the above. I'm an old geezer with a 30-30, a 35 Remington, and a 45-70. If I need something to shoot a bit further, I've got a 7mm-08, but I wouldn't pass up a good 30-06 if one happened to strike my fancy. I've got dies and (except for the 7-08) molds for all of the above, and a thin pocketbook. I guess I'm OK with what I've already got.