RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: WW Variation

Boolit Bub

WW Variation

while casting some WW's I experienced about 5 gr.'s of variation in bullet weight. Can someone give me some insight to what I can do to get to closer to 2 or so grains.

What would it take to have no variation?

I have bought some commercials and from vendor to vendor I would have one vendor with less than 2.5 gr.'s and the next over 5 gr.'s variation.

Why does this happen. I sort mine and remelt about 50%, those outside 2 gr.'s.

I was casting .45's (230), .454 (310gr), .44mag (200gr) and plan to cast some 9mm shortly (124gr)

in my readings on this forum I have learned that WW will vary due to the alloy not being the same in all wheel weights from different companies. most common solution i have seen is to take all your WW and mix them together. and then smelt.

Boolit Master
    Without knowing more details about your process I can only make a few guesses. First, do you monitor pot temperature? Temp variations can cause weight variations. Are you using a multicavity mold? This can cause variations a couple ways, differences in the cavities and the mold temperature will vary as you fill the various cavities. Casting speed, if you vary that you will get variations.

Tim

Banned

well just today i was melting up a big batch of alloy.
    it will be 1600 lbs when done.
    i take all the alloy i smelt and clean over the summer and segregate it into batches.
    i then bhn test it all then figure out how much of what needs to go through the pots again to have a bhn the same as the last big batch.
    this one works out to 4 lbs 2 lbs 1 lb from the three batches.
    then another batch will be mixed up using 4 lbs of alloy to one lb of linotype.
    this one will be kept separate because it isn't the same make-up, but it will be all used up for one boolit.