Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 LR ammo woes.....

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone remember Remington Rockets? Came in a flat box like chicklets chewing gum. Our small town grocery store carried them and they were the cheapest thing us kids could get ahold of. Don't remember the price but us kids would run the grader ditches picking up pop and beer bottles to sell to afford them.
    Rex

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Yep, and it kept the ditches clean at $0.02 a bottle.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master
    Picked up a brick of 500 American Eagles yesterday for $27(incl sales tax) at Forks Outrfitters in Forks, Wa. The manager has about a dozen bricks left out of a couple pallets six weeks ago. He mailed a brick to a fellow on Whidbey Island last week who didn't care about the shipping charge. Shooters from hundreds of miles away have been stopping at the store which is also an Ace Hardware. You can't get much farther off the beaten track than Forks.

Boolit Master
    I'm sitting on a good supply of .22LR these days. But went to my local Wally for some CB's. Almost 10 bucks for a 100 pack. I guess I should buy today before they hit $20.00.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

And 5 cents for the big bottles which was like discovering a gold mine.

Boolit Buddy
    We got 5 cents for a beer bottle to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    We got 5 cents for a beer bottle to.
    Big money those days.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    A friend of mine reports that he was in a Cheaper than Dirt store in Texas, and that they were selling a box (50rds) of 22LR (didn't say what brand) for $10. 87. Definate gouging!
    1Shirt!
    A friend of mine that has just bought his one & only 22 paid $13.00 for a box of SK at a local LGS. Time was when the dealer would have tossed a couple boxes in on the deal!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Anyone remember Remington Rockets? Came in a flat box like chicklets chewing gum.

Yep and the Peters "Thunderbolt" version also packaged the same way.

Boolit Master
    Anyone remember Remington Rockets? Came in a flat box like chicklets chewing gum. Our small town grocery store carried them and they were the cheapest thing us kids could get ahold of. Don't remember the price but us kids would run the grader ditches picking up pop and beer bottles to sell to afford them.
    Rex
    I shot a lot of the Rockets and Thunderbolts when I was a kid. The Remingtons were in a red pack and the Peters were in a blue pack. If my old memory is halfway close they were selling for 29 cents a pack when they first came out here. I think there were 30 in the pack.

I know the shortages are frustrating so I won't lecture. The fact is, though we had months of warning when .22 LR went from not common to NONE! You don't have to be on the backside of the wave. We saw this coming for a long time. Why not evaluate what you have and what you need BEFORE the blade drops?

The only things that are readily available and inexpensive right now are 12 gauge shotgun shells. 20 gauge and .410 shells are getting uncommon. What does that tell you about what shortage is coming next?

Flash
    You Gotta Die Of Something........It May As Well Be Something That You Like!

Lovin' the Harley Idle: potato........potato...........potato

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ROGER4314 View Post
    I know the shortages are frustrating so I won't lecture. The fact is, though we had months of warning when .22 LR went from not common to NONE! You don't have to be on the backside of the wave. We saw this coming for a long time. Why not evaluate what you have and what you need BEFORE the blade drops?

The only things that are readily available and inexpensive right now are 12 gauge shotgun shells. 20 gauge and .410 shells are getting uncommon. What does that tell you about what shortage is coming next?

Flash
    The fact is that people on this forum range from the very wealthy to the dirt poor. For some, stockpiling several years worth of everything is just not doable. There are people that buy a pound of powder, a box of primers or carton of 22s when they can. Laying out a thousand dollars at one time might not be possible.

If you evaluate your needs and figure that you need three bricks of .22 for the coming year but only have one brick. You see a shortage coming so buying two bricks for $30-40 total just makes good sense. I'm retired. You guys can't be living on less money than I'm living on!

From witnessing our market habits, I suggest that 12 gauge shells will be next on the "where the heck did the ammo go?" list, so you might want to ponder on that while it's available. Five boxes of Estate field loads would cost about $30 and if you need it, it would be in your supply cabinet. That's doable, too.

My suggestion was that the time to do that is now, not after the hammer falls and that the shortages are easy to see coming.

Flash
    You Gotta Die Of Something........It May As Well Be Something That You Like!

Lovin' the Harley Idle: potato........potato...........potato

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ROGER4314 View Post
    If you evaluate your needs and figure that you need three bricks of .22 for the coming year but only have one brick. You see a shortage coming so buying two bricks for $30-40 total just makes good sense. I'm retired. You guys can't be living on less money than I'm living on!

From witnessing our market habits, I suggest that 12 gauge shells will be next on the "where the heck did the ammo go?" list, so you might want to ponder on that while it's available. Five boxes of Estate field loads would cost about $30 and if you need it, it would be in your supply cabinet. That's doable, too.

My suggestion was that the time to do that is now, not after the hammer falls and that the shortages are easy to see coming.

Flash
    If you read some people's posts, you will see that some are worse off than you are and cannot afford to buy multiple bricks of ammo all at once. Fortunately, this is not me...but there are some this applies to.

Boolit Buddy

actually, in my case it was simply not paying attention to my stock.22 ammo has always been "there".now it is scarce, but it is available. i just came home from the gun club after serving my "range day" as rso. a man came to the range and told a very sad tale about his wife who has been diagnosed with cancer. he then said that he waws in dire need of cash to keep things going at home. he dropped the tailgate of his old ford and there he had 60000 rounds of cci standard velocity ammo. 10 cases.thankfully us rso's were right there and the vultures never got to him. the club president took him aside and a deal was struck. now our smallbore team, the boy scouts, and 2 rotc groups will have ammo for a long time. the man left grateful for being paid more than he asked. the club is grateful to have the ammo. all is good. the posters here have valid points, look to the future, and do your best.
    soooted

Boolit Man

It is certainly taking diligence and quick on the CC and order form. The .22 ammo thread here and similar ones on other sites do help out. This is the first time I've seen current conditions on .22 ammo. I've got a reasonable supply as I buy continously as funds permit, the buy two and shoot one way of building up an ammo locker.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Just as an visual illustration of the status take a look at the chart of .22's on this site, out of everything (some I didn't know existed) except shot shells.
    http://www.ammobank.com/cgi-bin/csho...ry.ctx=RIMFIRE
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Bub
    When I was a kid ( a long long time ago ) I would buy a box of 22 shorts for .19 cents no sales tax and LR .35 cents at the Western Auto store.
    Every grocery store and drug store had ammo, and would sell to a kid .
    Boy have things changed.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Buddy
    I feel your pain Fellows. I learned from my Mentor to buy it cheap and stack it deep. Before I retired the first time, I took my retroactive payraise check to the CMP North Store in the late 90s and picked up 37,500 rds of the old Olin White box SV ammo from the 70s like I used to shoot on the JROTC Smallbore teams. Also picked up 13K rds of the M2 Ball for my Garands. Stupid van only got 19 mpg coming home, but then gas was only $1.89 per gallon so not too bad. I am down to a few cans of the M2 and less than 10K rds of .22 so I am curtailing my usual shooting schedule with the rimfires. As a handloader, the .30-06 ammo isn't an issue, but finding a suitable replacement for my rimfires will be a problem.
    Will be chatting with my local Wally World stock clerk very soon.
    Cheers,
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I am afraid a lot of mom and pop gun stores are going to close their doors. Even if they jacked up their prices they will not be able to keep their doors open with empty shelves and display cases.

Then IF some stuff becomes available how will they be able to pay the new inflated dealer prices.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.