RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: wc860 safe in M1 Garand with CBs?

Boolit Buddy

wc860 safe in M1 Garand with CBs?

I know that the M1 Garands do not like slower powders with j-words and full-house velocities, and some slower poders work good with cast bullets, so, I was wondering if wc860 is one of those slower powders that would work well in a Garand, burning somewhat cleanly without damaging the gas system, as well as cycling the action. The boolit of choice would be the Lee 200 grain.

That's a good thought, I think it might work out OK. Let us know if it cycles the action OK.

While I have no idea if using wc860 will damage the Garand's op rod, I would have to say I do not think it would be a great idea to use the powder in a gas-operated action. It is one of the dirtiest powders I have ever used, and although it gives great accuracy in medium capacity cases in my bolt actions, I think I would pass on trying it in your rifle (I would certainly pass on trying it in mine). For the one or two shots I would fire at larger game, it's no big deal to clean a bolt action afterward. I would not, however, relish the thought of the time and effort it would take to clean all that garbage out of my Garand's gas system.

Hopefully someone with more Garand experience than I can tell you if wc860 falls within the range of powders that will not hurt to op rod. That is something I would prefer not to find out the hard way.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Buddy

I suspect that a load of WC-860 in an M-1 Garand would have too high a port pressure and may damage your op rod.

It is my understanding that with military loads for the M-1 the powder burn was actually starting to drop as the bullet reached the barrel port. This port pressure is very important on the M-1.

There was some 30-06 military ammo made several years back that used a case full of WC-852 (slow) but it was intended only for machine guns. This ammo, I was told, would bend the op rod of the M-1 because its port pressure was very high.

I have used reduced loads of WC-852(slow) in an M-1 garand and it seemed to work OK but I believe I was on the verge of causing problems as my bolt would go back so hard that sometimes it would not pickup the next round. Because of the potential port pressure problems with this powder I quit using it and got some 4895 surplus powder for use in my M-1's.

I have used two different batches of WC-860 in BOLT ACTION rifles with very good results. I developed loads in 30-06 and 30-40 Krag that left only trace amounts of unburned powder in the barrels. Guys at the range commented to me that my muzzle blast was very loud when I shot these loads. I believe this was because the powder was so slow burning that its pressure curve was still elevated somewhat as the bullet exited the barrel and caused this louder muzzle blast. I also believe this would indicate that Port Pressure in such loads would definately bend an M-1 op rod. These loads were a 220 grain bullet at 2000 - 2200 fps.

You may be able to get away with using WC-860 in an M-1 but I think that any load that burns well enough not to leave immense amounts of powder in your barrel will very likely bend your op rod.

I understand that op rods are getting to be a bit pricey.

WC-860 is some great powder in bolt actions but I strongly suggest you not use it in an M-1.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Boolit Master
    Stay away from it. Get some 4064 instead or buy some Greek from the CMP.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JCherry View Post
    I suspect that a load of WC-860 in an M-1 Garand would have too high a port pressure and may damage your op rod.
    JCherry
    This is sage advice. Get a different powder for the M-1. Burn the WC 860 in a bolt
    action rifle.

Shiloh

Boolit Bub
    The answer to M1 hard cycling from gas port overpressure using slower powders is an adjustable gas lock screw. Anyone reloading for an M1 would be well advised to look into using one, especially with powders like WC860, 4831 etc. Even smooths out HXP M2 so the brass ejects without dings and falls at the shooter's feet.
    Last edited by mousegun; 07-30-2007 at 02:13 AM.
    (O)(o)
    ---0000-(. .)-0000---