RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MCD Products

Thread: Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding.

Boolit Master

Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding.

A Joint of topside Beef cooked slowly in lard, salt and pepper over it.Roast potatoes (Par boiled first)cooked around the Meat.Steamed Broccoli,steamed Brussels Sprouts ,Yorkshire Pudding (plain Flour,Eggs a little salt,Water mixed into a batter)Take some lard from around the cooking meat and put some in small oven proof dishes,pour the pudding mix into the greased dishes.When the meat has cooked for say three hours start cooking the other things.Serve with Brown gravy poured over all.Horsradish sauce goes well with this.A Glass of Red Wine goes well with it.Save the Fat from the meat Dish allow to solidify (we call this Dripping)Spread on Hot Toast for a tasty snack in front of the fire on these cold winter nights.
    Last edited by Col4570; 01-23-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: To add further info

Boolit Master
    my mother used to make us yorkshire pudding any time we had beef roast in vermont, it remains my favorite meal to this day 50+ years later. thanks for reminding me !

Boolit Master
    "Horsradish sauce goes well with this."
    Horsradish sauce goes well with darn near anything, like chocolate chip cookies.!!!!!!!!!!!
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Love Life
    I'm going to give this a try this weekend using the below recipe

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipe...kshire-Pudding

Any pointers?

Love Life
    It is in the oven now. Smells wonderful.

Love Life
    Final results: MY WORD!!!!!

It was so simple yet so very fantastic.

Boolit Master
    The Saveur recipe is a bit more complicated than our simple one but it sounds good.had RB&YP today.We have a local Butcher Martin Ogden in town (Ilkeston) Derbyshire,his meat is top quality,never had a tough joint from him in all the years we have shopped there.Bon apetite.

Love Life
    I have a few questions. Is the sirloin roast the same as a top joint? If you don't mind what is your recipe?

About the only issue I had was the puddings. Only one came out looking good, and the rest looked like tubes where the center caved in. Cooking at 4,500 feet definitely presents it's challenges.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen cookware 005 (Large).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	60938For the best Yorkshires ... cast iron muffin pans ... put them into the oven and pre-heat them "smokin'" hot with the fat in them ... icy cold batter kept in the fridge. Pull the pans out of the oven (don't burn yourself!) and quickly pour the cold batter into the hot pans. Back into the oven and DO NOT open the oven door until you take out the finished Yorkshires!
    (My grandfather was from London and my dad was from Wolverhampton ... so of course I love Roast Beef and Yorkshires!)
    Last edited by Reverend Al; 02-11-2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: correction
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Well said Reverend Al,Could,nt have described it better.The hollow centre is as it should be,this holds the beef flavoured gravy.

Boolit Master
    In some Pubs they serve yorkshire pud with sliced beef in the Hollow covered in Gravy.Goes well with a pint of Bitter.

Boolit Master
    Love Life,Topside is from the top of the Hind Quarter,Sirloin is from the Back.Both Joints are good for Roasting.We use Lard in my House but for those who are health concious or ethnic Oil will sufice.Simply place the beef in a Roasting Pan,Salt and Black Pepper generously,About an hour before you take it out surround the meat with par boiled carrots (strips)and par boiled Parsnips (strips)and par boiled potatoes turning them at intervals to cook evenly in the fat and the meat juices.The yorkshire pudding is as follows.In a basin mix,plain Flour Eggs,Salt and Water into a batter,pour some of the meat infused fat in each Muffin tin.Put the Tin in the oven until the fat is very hot,pour in your batter mix and back into the oven,I like to see the edges of the YPs start to burn.They will sink in the middle.serve with beef Gravy( Bisto etc) and Horseradish Sauce plus steamed Greens(Sprouts Cabbage,Broccoli, cauliflower etc.

Love Life
    Sounds like my puddings came out correctly then. That is good to know. It makes sense to put the sliced roast beef into the puddings with the gravy. I was unsure how to eat it so just tore the puddings to mop up the gravy.

In the recipe I posted you rub the roast with the olive oil. How do you do the lard? Do you rub the lard on or put large scoops of it in the bottom of the roasting pan?

I roasted some potatoes with salt and pepper and a little olive oil in the oven. Crispy on one side, and still soft on the other.

All in all I loved it. One of the better recipes with beef I have tried in awhile. Thank you for posting it so I could give it a try.

Boolit Master
    Love Life,dot the joint with Lard and put some in the meat dish as well.Half way through the cooking turn the meat over,that will ensure it is basted enough.Your potatoes should be browned all over having turned them during the cooking.If you wish a crispy texture,when you have par boiled the potatoes carefully scratch the surface using a fork, this will crisp a little during roasting around the Meat but do not expect a crunch.It sounds to me that you have it about right anyway.Simple but very nice,a tradition for Sunday lunch in the UK.
    Regards.

Love Life
    Thank you for your time answering my questions Col4570. I did not turn mine (roast) at all, and the amount of drippings in the bottom of the roasting pan was kind of small. I had enough to put a 1/2 TSP into each muffin cup, a TBSP into the batter, and make my gravy, but there was only about 3 TBSP left to do the gravy with.

One thing I was not prepared for was how much the puddings would rise. I filled the muffin tins about 1/2 to 3/4 full and ended up with about 2 inches rising above the muffin cups. I ended up with 8 5 inch tube puddings and one just kind of muffin topped (that is what I though they were supposed to look like). I will definately be giving your recipe a try in the near future.

Boolit Master
    About 2/3rds of a coffee mug of lard would be about the measure.The excess Dripping can be used for cooking with at a later date if kept in the Fridge or alternately spread on hot toast with a little salt.Off course Oil will not make a solidified Dripping.