MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMCD ProductsReloading EverythingRotoMetals2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How big can you take a #1?

Boolit Mold
    In an old copy of Handloader on the front page is a Ruger #1 in .700 Nitro Express!! Art

Boolit Mold

Ruger #1

I have a Ruger #1 in .458 WM. I asked Hamilton Bowen about rechambering to .450 on the .500 Nitro case. He wouldn't do it... seems like in some instances, the holes for the recoil pins in the quarter-rib were drilled pretty deep. That would result in only about .030" of chamber wall under the pins with the big .500 case. I have since had the rifle re-chambered in .458 Lott... that's more than enough for whatever I might be hunting.
    My son has a Ruger M77 in .458 Lott and also a 9.3 x 74R double... loves them both.

Boolit Mold
    How big can a #1 go????

How about a .610 GNR??? Gary Reeder is making a .610 GNR Ruger # 1 in his own wildcat cartridge. It's the 577 snider expanded to .620. It's one awesome rifle!!!!

big rugers

I had a #1 a few years back in 460 g&a #2 improved which boils down to 50-140 sharps necked to 45 cal. it was a rechambered 458wm= 600gr barnes at 2500+.very heavy recoil.

Boolit Master
    I have recently done the Boolet loadwork for a friend's 505 Gibbs. What a production... I borrowed my brother's 650gr RFN mould for his 50-90 Sharps and cast up a bunch out of 20:1. Turned the base down to take Hornady 50 caliber gaschecks, like .464" on the lathe and then learned what tapered pin reamers are for. Seated the GC's and sized/lubed the slugs on my buddy's .511" die. Then ran them upside thru the die we made from .512" down to .5055". The slugs weigh 630gr ready to load, and I got velocities up to 2278fps that were decent to shoot off the bench. Like 1.25" for four shots at 50 yds benchresting the 11.5lb rifle.
    It was fun enough to get the current project going, a 550 Gibbs. Don't ask why.

Rich
    DRSS

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    It was fun enough to get the current project going, a 550 Gibbs. Don't ask why.

Rich
    DRSS
    Why ?

No,,just kiddin' ya. I know why already. "Cuz"

I started my 500A2 quest with 2 fired cases someone sent me.... That was all the reason I needed. Big Enfield action,pac nor 1-14 bbl, Bell & Carlson stock,timney trigger, 500 bucks for brass and dies, smithin' dues' and the biggest damn smiles this side of a Solothurn 20mm anti-tank gun.
    Yeah, I know why.......................
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com