MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primers available... at sickening prices

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I paid $36.99 per 1K yesterday for WIN WSR's at my small time gunsmith store, where I'm working on a deal for a custom Jap38 rechambered for 6.5x55 swede. He also have reloaded 223 with Horn 50gr. v-max box of 50 for $38.
    Jon
    That`s the price per 1K of primers that William`s Gunshop in Davison here in Mich. was charging back in Dec. and before, the store is owned by a consortium of Doctors in a large local hospital chain. Haven`t been in their store since early Jan. so can`t say what the prices are now.Robert

Banned
    I know of at least one primer maker that never once raised their prices, not one copper coated zinc penny during the last "craz" and I suspect they have not this time....all the extra $$ is being made by middlemen/shop owners profiting on paranoia. Do not fall for the hype. shoot a little less if you have to and wait til the stupidity calms down a bit then STOCK UP with those places that were not ****** gunowners. I am not one to denounce capitalism, but I am not going to single handedly finance it either, and those that simply put the screws to people because they can...well they do not need anymore of my money ...ever again.

Boolit Master
    I really like brunos. They aleays have had great prices. I would buy kegs if powder from them. They priced match a chrony for my on their website, seemed like the wrong price. What primer maker you speak of? Wolf? I have used tens of thousands of wolf with great sucess. But never used small spistol which is what I hear the issue was with. I just use sr or srm in my pistols

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Knowing Bruno's my bet would be they did pay dearly for them from a distributor so they had something for their customer base.

I just bought a 1000 large pistol primers at the local gunshow, for 35 dollars. May go try to find another thousand tomorrow.

Small rifle primers is what I can't find. Most of the websites don't have any, and the stores locally don't either, unless you want to pay double. I was gonna buy about a thousand but, they were priced at $5.00 a hundred. A lot of the powders are out of stock too. People have went completely apecrazy.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

I was bored today so I got on my motorcycle and went on a fact finding mission as they say in DC.

1st up, large national chain sporting goods store. No reloading supplies left, period

2nd, large gun store, largest in local area. (Mostly caters to black rifle and plastic pistol types) Lots of powder on shelves! No primers. Bought 2 pounds.

3rd, very small local gun shop. No powder, lots of ammo, and low and behold, plenty of primers! Bought 1000 each sr, lr, and lp. 40$/box which isn't the cheapest but not bad considering the madness.

4th, another very small local mom and pop gunshop. Limited powder, and did have a few boxes of primers.

So they are around.
    Airplanes and guns should always be made out of metal.

I did the rounds today as well. I found LR and LP primers and some powder. I was looking for SP primers and came up empty. I did ask the guy at Academy if they had any reloading equipment or supplies and the dude told me that they don't carry it because it hurts ammo sales. Needless to say I won't frequent an establishment that works that way.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Boolit Master
    They are around. 4 years ago and more frequently it is always small pistol you can never find, plenty of everything else. Today its hard to find anything. I stopped buying small pistol some time ago and switxhed over to srp or srm

yes, that is the case in many shops. to me, it is the easy way to tell the difference between a business man who runs a gun store, and an enthusiast who runs a gun store. personally, i would much rather deal with an enthusiast than a business man.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Buddy

PK, PM inbound. CR

Ive been paying $33.95 @1000 LR primers in Michigan, good store, no mail order though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    That`s the price per 1K of primers that William`s Gunshop in Davison here in Mich. was charging back in Dec. and before, the store is owned by a consortium of Doctors in a large local hospital chain. Haven`t been in their store since early Jan. so can`t say what the prices are now.Robert
    hardcast, ok I think then Michigan is probably ok on the primers, the store I mentioned in my reply is in Standish, so its a pretty good spread of miles between them.

Boolit Buddy
    I was in a LGS yesterday and we were just talking about primers. He didn't have a huge supply and I asked if the wholesale prices have changed and he said NO. I see Powder Valley still has the same prices as well so that tells me there is gouging on the end - but only if you are willing to pay for them.

In Remembrance
    Today I was in Prairie du Sac and went over to Recob's Target Shop; they still had some SP primers at $28.29/1K so got a box. The limit is 1K primers and 4# of powder (if they have it). They were all out of any AA powders!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Circuit Rider View Post
    PK, PM inbound. CR
    Returned. Thanks.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Sometimes your “brother” can be your worst enemy…

As soon as the gun control issue was discussed with the newly re-elected president, prices went through the ceiling…

The people who raised the price ABSOLUTELY TOOK ADVANTATE OF THE POLITICS IN CONTROL…

I wonder if sometimes they don’t sort of look forward to such political animosity…

But the people who are taking ADVANTAGE are the ones that display the 2nd Amendment posters and they are vehemently advocates of no gun control at all…

Hell, they are controlling it themselves by making things so damn high priced that we can’t afford it…

Money is money to these people and that is what they do. They will use whatever tactic to rip-off fellow shooters—period…

Notice that as soon as the news says the price of gasoline might rise, for whatever reason, the local stations immediately tack on a nickel or whatever…

As Randy Newman said, “It’s money that matters, hear what I say!”…

One should remember who was selling the reloading components and firearms at high prices just as soon as there was an excuse to do so…

I know I will…

And so it goes...BCB

Boolit Bub
    I was at a gunshow in Cambridge Ohio yesterday and a dealer there had plenty of primers and powder . their prices were $30/1000 for CCI or Winchester primers limit of 2000 , and $20 - 23 for powder . When the show closed Sunday they still had some left and I saw alot go out the door in customers hands .
    I have a good stock at the house but I picked up 2000 LP just for good measures . When I got home a good friend called in dire need of some so I let him have them .

I go in and out of local gun stores every week looking at supply’s here almost everything stays sold out when they get bullets or reloading supply in they don’t last long. I don’t have any SP or SR It will be hard to reload without them. I just received my RCBS PRO 2000 press in this sucks.

Boolit Buddy

Ok, I'm going to get myself flamed here, but I think all of us who claim to believe in private property need to understand this: there is no such thing as price gouging. Prices are set by supply and demand. I believe along with the rest of you that my paycheck belongs to me. A corollary that perhaps we don't like is that means if I want to pay $40 or $400 for a box of primers, that is my business and absolutely no one else's. Consumers set prices, not producers. I own a rental property. Every time it's vacant, my property manager asks me what I want the rent to be. Every time, I tell him I want to get $1,000,000 per month for it. Am I price gouging? Of course not. No one's going to pay it because renters bidding against one another determine what the market prices are. But if I want to insist on $1,000,000, and let it sit vacant, that's my business. Heck, if someone comes along who is willing to pay $1,000,000 for a 3 BR house, that's their business. There is a run on guns and reloading equipment because people perceive (accurately or not is irrelevant), that they will not be able to get these things at today's prices. So they allocate more of their paychecks toward guns and reloading equipment and less toward other things that they would normally buy. I respect the guys that try to keep their prices the same, and I don't disrespect the guys that raise their prices to whatever someone is willing to pay for them. Personally, I like to buy mine when the craziness wears off, but (again, personally) I would rather see half a shelf of primers for $60/box than an empty shelf of primers for $29/box.