Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Is one groove enough?

Is one groove enough?

I just opened my mail tonite and unwrapped my new to me mold. It is a Lyman/Ideal SC 358-156GC. I bought it because it was a good deal even though I don't care for gas check pistol bullets. Now I know that I should have just bought a 358-429 if I wanted plainbase, but I'm thinking this. I can take it to work in my lunch pale tomorrow and chuck it up in the 4 jaw during my lunch hour to machine the GC step out of the base. My lunch is unpaid anyway, so it isn't costing me anything. The thing that worries me is that the checkshank will hold some lube in front of the GC, and if I remove the checkshank with my boring bar, is the one smallish lube groove that is left going to be ample?

Let me hear what you think, as tomorrow will likely be the day, and I'm not too worried.

Banned

i prefer one lube groove boolits.

Boolit Master

Provided you aren't trying to break Mach 10 with those boolits it should be fine. My 9mm mould is plain base, one lube groove and it does quite well when pushed to normal velocity/pressure.

Boolit Master
    That is one of the designs that can be shot without the check and is still acceptably accurate. I have not tried that, but with the check on it has been one of the best shooting (accurate) revolver bullets I have ever used. Personally I wouldn't mess with success.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

If you feel the need for more than one, I believe one of our Moderators here is a Loob Groove Salesman. I'll bet he can fix you up.

Boolit Buddy
    It should be fin but if you feel like you need more lube after shooting them a bit you could always tumble lube them in addition to traditional lube

Boolit Master

Before you remove metal, cast some up and shoot them without gas checks. They may do just fine for your application. You can always remove metal later, but it is difficult to put it back.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

I held off today to wait and see what more folks thought, that and a shooting buddy of mine has now gotten excited that I have a GC .357 mold, said something about warp speed in his 8 3/8" M27 . So we might shoot some this weekend if it'll warm up just a little.

Stay of execution for now. But still curious as to whether that one little groove would be enough.

Boolit Master

Read what Beagle had to say about it here:
    http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByC...20358156HP.pdf

Boolit Grand Master

I'd buy the 358429 before I'd ruin a perfectly good 358156, especially when there are so many perfectly good PB'd moulds available. Just my opinion of course as the mould is yours but I have removed the GC'd shank from similar moulds in the past and have always regreted doing so. You may find the need for a good GC'd .357 mould down the road and the 358156 is very hard to beat for HV cast out of 357 Magnums and even 35 cal rifles.

Larry Gibson

if you dont think one groove is enuff then just leave a little gc shank metal in it to make 2 grooves, just remove a little from the base but dont go deep enuff to remove it all, that is if you do modify it.
    i think if it was mine id try it like it is without the check , and maybe get some alum. gas checks to try with it , or if you like pb boolits you could probably trade it for a pb mold as im sure someone that has one would like a gc mold.
    but thats just my opinion , not worth much , but might give you other ideas.
    have a great day,
    GOD BLESS
    Darrell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
    It should be fin but if you feel like you need more lube after shooting them a bit you could always tumble lube them in addition to traditional lube
    +1 for the tumble loob on top...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Mold
    I have to second Larry G. on this. My experience with the 358156 in both revolvers and rifles has been exemplary for accuracy and hunting performance. Have used it for jackrabbit and "rat in the dump" hunting over many years both with and without gc's and no leading or accuracy issues have raised their heads.
    Onward thru the Fog, cuz Liberty is NOT an option, It is a MUST.

Boolit Grand Master

I've shot both the 358356 and 358429 and both gave me exemplary accuracy. If I am not pushing the boolit too fast then I prefer the 429 because it is a PB design.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!