RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 mag loading

Boolit Buddy

32 mag loading

hi, i need some loads for my 32 h&r mag, using 100 grain rn from a lee mold. my cases are federal, cci primers, and i have bullseye, unique, maybe some 296. my boolits drop at .3125-.313. my barrel is .312, and i have a slight thunb preasure fit in 5 of the cyl throats. 1 is a little looser. my boolits are plain based.--phil

Banned

are you looking for mild loads or full power loads?

I'm A Honcho!
    Get ready for some serious fun. The 32's are great.

I usually use 4.0g Unique or 5.0g HS-6.

Haven't tried bullseye or H110/296.

(in a Ruger Single Six 32 mag)

-ktw
    Last edited by ktw; 07-17-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added qualification

Boolit Master
    We really should know what gun you will be shooting. There are basically two load levels. The J-frame S&W and the H&R's should be loaded no higher than factory loads. The Rugers and the K-frame S&W can go higher.

Boolit Buddy
    i have a taurus 6 inch barrel revolver. i cant remember the model number, and i dont see it on the gun. maybe its hiding someware. it looks alot like a 38 or 357 smith. i have been shooting 85 grain XTP's with 4 grains of unique. for the cast load im just looking for a medium load that the plain base bullet will like. im a little worried about the plain base bullet after plugging up the barrel with lead useing a 215 plain base in my 44 mag after 20 rounds.-phil

Boolit Buddy
    I use 3 grains of bullseye in my .32's. It works great for me!

Boolit Master
    For your purposes,,, 4.0 gr Unique... MV

Boolit Grand Master

Using a 100 gr Keith (ww's + 2% tin air cooled) lubed with Emmert's a CCI SP primer:

.32S&W L cases - 2.8 Win 231

.32 H&R Mag cases - 3.2 231

These are nice pleasant loads that shoot extremely well. Should be dandy for edible small game, also.

I use these in my Ruger SP101 /4" and my S&W 16-4 /6"

Dale53

Boolit Master

32 Loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    are you looking for mild loads or full power loads?
    This one is a question for Lloyd. I have a Ruger Blackhawk. would like to know about some full power loads. Have AA #5, 7 & 9. Also Herco, HS-7, Blue Dot, H-4227, 2400, AA1680, Unique, Red Dot & Bullseye. Would be loading the RCBS 32-98 & the GB 32-20 PB 120 gr. Also have some Honady & Speer 100 grainer J-word. Any help would be appreciated. I also load the .32-20 but don't know if you have one of those things or not?

Thanks in advance,
    Newtire

Boolit Grand Master

Oh hell, give us a little more information on the bullet mould, as cast size, throats, expectation of performance..... there are just many, many options here for a good time and much good shooting with that revolver.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Oh hell, give us a little more information on the bullet mould, as cast size, throats, expectation of performance..... there are just many, many options here for a good time and much good shooting with that revolver.

Larry Gibson
    My revolter cylinder throats measure .312" & the bore measures .312". I heard the throats should be a tad bigger than the bore but that's another thing I was wondering about. It seems to shoot alright but I don't know how good it'll shoot yet. I have sent about 200 rounds thru it and plan on putting another 300 thru it tomorrow. My boolits "as cast" diameter for the RCBS is .315" and the Group buy boolits are from a batch I bought off one of our members here. they go at .3125. I also have an old Ideal 100 gr boolit mold that I have had a bit of luck with. It goes out of the mold at .313". I have sized everything to .312" and lubed with Lar's carnauba Red. Loaded up some with small rifle primers for this weekend but last weekend used some CCI550's. Ran out and tried the rifle primers for this weekend.

I loaded some 3.0 Bullseye loads with the RCBS and they shot great. I put together some 3.5 gr. Bullseye loads and others as well for this weekend. I found AA#9 to be real good with the J-words at 9 gr. and a 100 gr. J-bullet.

Boolit Master
    My light loads are very similar to Dale53's. Red Dot, Bullseye, 231, and Unique all work well. My Ruger and S&W take 0.312" lead bullets.

If you are interested in heavier loads, your Blackhawk can take it. My Single-Six has been shot with 8.5gr of 2400 with a Hornady 85gr XTP. No problems with the gun, but getting them out of the chamber is difficult. There is VERY little room for the cartridge rim to pass through the ejection slot. With the larger slot in the Blackhawk, I would think it would be easier to get them out. I reduced it to 8.0gr and had less problems with ejection, but still some. Reducing it to 7.5gr solved all problems.

I you are really brave, Skeeter Skelton shot an 85gr Hornady XTP at 1,448fps with 9.4gr of AA No. 7. This was later pressure tested and was found to generate over 38,000psi. He used a Single-Six without blowing it up, so you should not have any problems with the Blackhawk. Keep in mind, I think that this load will seriously bend ANY other gun than a Ruger.

For the 32-20 cylinder, you should try 6.0gr of SR4756 and a 100gr Hornady XTP. It is stronger than factory loads, but it is NOT anyway near as heavy as Skeeter's load. This one was recommended by Ken Waters and has proven itself accurate in my handguns. It is a little heavy for the Colt PPS, but the S&W K-frame and Cimarron P-Jr can handle it easily. SR4756 is a strange powder. It works great in this caliber, but I have not found another caliber that it works well in (not even the .32 Magnum). It also has a VERY narrow range of pressure where it works well.

In both the 32 Magnum and the 32-20, the handguns chambered for them have a wide range of strength. Don't use a load developed in a stronger gun in a weaker one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    In both the 32 Magnum and the 32-20, the handguns chambered for them have a wide range of strength. Don't use a load developed in a stronger gun in a weaker one.
    I read some of the loads over on the Leverguns site and my-o-my..How many grains more am I supposed to put in after I get difficult extraction? Some of these guys would have you loading some real hot loads that could be trouble if you ask me. Of course, I used to load lighter than Elmer did in my .44 mag. pistol when I used to own one of those beauties. I suppose I ought to not worry until I can't hammer them out with a punch....hmmmm.

These are all loads I shot in the .32-20 cylinder.
    I loaded up some plinkers right at the end of last night and they turned out to be some of the best loads of the day. These were the Lyman 77 gr. 311352 roundnose water quenched and LLA lubed, sized .312" and I didn't think they would work too well in the .32-20 because of the "jump" they had to make but they just made a nice little lump of holes inside the 15 yd. bullseye. I had a batch of Saeco's all loaded up but couldn't shoot the majority of them as I had them seated out too long....DUH! The obsolete Ideal #4 100 gr. round nose flatpoint was this one's equal with 4.5 gr. Unique and sized to .311". I know the cylinder is .312" but maybe these obturated?

I also loaded 8.0 gr. 2400 behind the 100 gr. Horn XTP and just couldn't keep them out of the black.

The RCBS 32-98 did great with 3.0 gr. Bullseye. The small rifle primers didn't seem to make much difference in things from last weekend. (CCI550 last weekend vs CCI 400 this weekend). So that's all that's fit to report. Now to cast up a heap of those little 311352's.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    I read some of the loads over on the Leverguns site and my-o-my..How many grains more am I supposed to put in after I get difficult extraction? Some of these guys would have you loading some real hot loads that could be trouble if you ask me. .

Paco may be able to walk on water but he don't proof read to well. There are some bad mistakes in one of his 32-20 articles. I wouldn't touch some of his loads with a ten foot pole. To each their own.

Boolit Master
    Here is my 32-20 article. I did proof-read it.

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/a...ing_32-20.html

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post

Then you intended for the picture of the 1894CL to cover a paragraph of text?

I honestly wish I knew what I was doing differently than other people when it comes to loading 32-20. I have loaded one lot of 200 cases 14 times in the past year. I have ruined exactly one case. I don't do anything that I think is out of the ordinary. I use Lee dies and Hornady One Shot Lube.

Boolit Master

Nice article.

That was a great article Harry. I always enjoy articles written by people who shoot the guns for fun and not just to please their vendors. Thanks. I am having a fun time with the 32-20.

Banned

I doubt he can walk on water but i dont doubt hes forgot more then everyone on this forum combined knows about lever guns and loading them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
    Paco may be able to walk on water but he don't proof read to well. There are some bad mistakes in one of his 32-20 articles. I wouldn't touch some of his loads with a ten foot pole. To each their own.

Boolit Bub
    He may indeed. Some of his data is flat wrong though. I emailed him about it more than a year ago. I checked just now and the data is still as it was.

There is a "Class 3" load, for the strongest guns @ 35,200 cup. He has the same powder with a LARGER charge in the section for weaker guns @ 25,000 cup. Same bullet both loads.

I think if he is going to put himself out as an expert he should be a little more cautious in what he is telling people.

Just my .02