Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: HP-38 and a 30-30 and 7 TCU?

Boolit Buddy

HP-38 and a 30-30 and 7 TCU?

I have shurched the net for info on useing HP-38 in the 30-30 and the 7-TCU.
    With not much luck and in looking at the burn rate it is very close to the rate of Unique. I also know that Win-231 and HP-38 is the same powder just a different lable Win-231 is just a litle bit faster than Unique and is slower than Trail boss by a good bit. Any thoughts on this ive been loading for quite some time and Im aware of the rules of substuting powder with another. I have about 10 lbs HP-38 on hand and use it for my 44 mag, 38 spc,357 mag and 9 mm.
    Im Wanting to use this in a Contender for a plinking load with cast Boolits both Barrels are super 14's
    Flip
    Last edited by flipajig; 01-08-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Boolit Master

HP-38/231 is a faster, lower volume, and more case sensitive powder than Unique so I'm not sure if it would work without a filler that well.

Boolit Master

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Go to the left and click on 30-30. when you get to that page, go down to the last data set which is for 231 which is the exact same thing as HP-38

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the replys
    The data for Unique and W231 are the same useing the page that jaysouth posted
    Nothing for the TCU so the surch continues
    Flip

A newbie here but still have experience with all three. My thinking is if you're going to plink, it might as well be with accuracy and with that said, HP38 isn't the powder for either cartridge. The load density will be extremely low and that powder lends itself better to small capacity cases. If i were a betting man, id swear its used in 22lr ammunition universally. My choice would be H335 in keeping with Hodgdon powders or perhaps IMR 3031. Usually when load data can't be found on a specific powder, its because it doesn't work well in that cartridge. Getting the bullet to exit the barrel isn't the end all be all. It should at least be accurate, regardless of its purpose.
    Last edited by FLHTC; 01-14-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Over the last 110 odd years, there are no powders more extensively tested for light loads than Bullseye and Unique. I'd try 5 grains of bullseye or 8 grains of Unique in the 30-30, and 3.5 grains of Bullseye or 5.5 grains Unique in the TCU with a light for caliber cast boolit.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

231 works very well in the 7 TCU and cast bullets, my best results were with a charged case filled to the base of the neck with PSB. 231 shot better than Unique in my Bbl's. I'm not after Mag. speed loads, more in the 1100-1200 fps range.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Jaysouth
    Thanks for that link. I saw it a long time ago and so nice of you to provide it. Just what I was looking for.
    good shootin
    The best way to cheer oneself is to cheer another....Mark Twain.......
    "IF YOU CAN'T GO SHOOTIN GO FISHIN"...
    >)))))}•> .....>)))•>