Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who can tell me about making a Silver Bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    Now we are on a roll.

Soak the ironwood in garlic juice, cast with ? % silver boolit compound.

A wooden stake in the heart for some critters, garlic for some and the DEADLY silver projectile.

What a great multi creature load.
    This one sounds like the best option over all, Bill. It'll probably work in both rifles and handguns. Might have trouble getting it to feed through autoloaders though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    So, anybody got a load worked up for a 44 cal wooden stake?
    Sure... Swedish Mausers use them for target practice all the time (although not 44 caliber)!

Boolit Master

Q: Why was the Lone Ranger alone?

A: He kept pouring his wife's silver into bullet molds.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    Now we are on a roll.

Soak the ironwood in garlic juice, cast with ? % silver boolit compound.

A wooden stake in the heart for some critters, garlic for some and the DEADLY silver projectile.

What a great multi creature load.
    Now we're getting to what Hellboy loads for The Samaritan (hella big 5-shot revolver) -- silver, garlic, wolfsbane, holy water, "da woiks", as he puts it.

Boolit Master
    http://laser-cast.com/AboutLaserCast.html
    These guys make a silver bullet. Well kind of...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I wonder how much silver is in laser cast? I know that there is trace silver in lead as it
    is mined. I am guessing that they just acknowledge the traces that are there for most or
    all lead. Probably in the few parts per million range. Interesting marketing ploy but I
    doubt it has any significance in the performance.

Bill
    It's Homeopathic. The smaller the concentration, the more powerful the effect.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! I like that answer. Actually, as silly as I though homeopathic effects are from
    a purely scientific point of view, there have been a few tests done - with the intent to
    prove how ridiculous the homeopathic concept was, yet they could not make the
    effect go away in a few tests. Weird. Not claiming anything, just reporting an
    article I read where a skeptic was left puzzled.

I'm thinking filling a HP with garlic is the best bet for werewolves.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

LOL! I like that answer. Actually, as silly as I though homeopathic effects are from
    a purely scientific point of view, there have been a few tests done - with the intent to
    prove how ridiculous the homeopathic concept was, yet they could not make the
    effect go away in a few tests. Weird. Not claiming anything, just reporting an
    article I read where a skeptic was left puzzled.

I'm thinking filling a HP with garlic is the best bet for werewolves.

Bill
    When you get to a homeopathic x30 (that is, diluted by a factor of 10 to the 30th power) or higher preparation, you reach a point where there probably isn't a single molecule of whatever the "active ingredient" of the concoction might be in any given bottle of the stuff; Avogradro's number, 6.02x10^23, implies that a homeopathic x23 would have only a single molecule in a mole (18 kilograms) of water.

The studies you refer to must have been flawed in a way that allowed placebo effect to interfere; there's simply no other way a preparation that simply contains no active ingredient at all could have an effect.

Now, as for HP filled with garlic for werewolves, you're confusing your fantasy/horror beasties. It's vampires that dislike garlic; for werewolves, you want wolfsbane, also known as monkshood or aconite. It's toxic enough, BTW, that it'll probably increase the effectiveness of those bullets on pretty much any warm blooded (living) creature, but handle with extreme care; you can poison yourself just picking the leaves.

Boolit Grand Master

The study started from EXACTLY WHAT YOU STATED, that there would mathematically not be a
    single atom remaining, yet careful SCIENTIFIC work could not eliminate the effect - and it was
    NOT a placebo effect, it was (IIRC) a clear, non-subjective effect.

Personally, I do not have any opinion on homeopathic medicine. Sounds like unscientific
    claptrap to me, but I have read of one serious attempt to do a clear scientific test to prove
    that it is (clearly) baloney, and it failed. Not selling anything other than we do need to
    recognize that there may sometimes be more to what is happening than we understand. NOT
    going to use homeopathic medicine any time soon, but do have an open mind. Superconductors
    were once known to be entirely impossible, but if you get a MRI you are using practical, real
    world superconductors.

No mumbo jumbo, purely a scientific guy, but when a well designed experiment repeatedly
    disagress with theory, then one possible cause is a bad experiment. Another is a bad
    theory. I'll see if I can find the article.

Bill

Boolit Master
    OK things have drifted far enough off topic that I feel like I can post this link now.

http://www.coonaninc.com/products.ph...ilver-bullets/

Coonan, you remember them right? The makers of a 38/.357 1911.

Just when you thought you had seen it all, someone else decided to cash in on the latest zombie craze.

Apparently Coonan sells a hollow wooden vampire stake, with a handful of silver bullets inside. They are made supposedly with a 99% pure silver jacket.

Silly? Well perhaps, but maybe it will have some collectable value in a few years though - Who knows?

Looking for a "Stocking Stuffer"? How about a Coonan Silver Bullet.

I saw an auction for one once on Gun Broker, and was a tad surprised. This question tends to pop up every so often here. Apparently even the manufacturer, Coonan in this case found it easier (and probably cheaper too) to go with a silver jacket.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Grand Master

Jacketed in silver. Does that count as a "silver bullet"?

Can we get an official werewolf umpire to rule on that one?

They could use a touch of flash suppressant in that powder

Bill

Boolit Master

Nickel cases are "silver" colored. Does "looks like" count?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Jacketed in silver. Does that count as a "silver bullet"?

Can we get an official werewolf umpire to rule on that one?

They could use a touch of flash suppressant in that powder

Bill
    We need a test!

Where can we get a werewolf hunting lease?

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

About a year ago or so I bought some lead free bar solder that was mostly tin, but also had silver, copper, and antimony in them. I don't recall the exact percentages, but I think it was like 3% silver or so. They were being sold on ebay, the seller had a bunch of them, as well as some other lead free solder that was 95% tin and 5% antimony, and he was selling them for around $10.00 per 1lb bar, same price for either the 95/5 or the silver solder. I used them to make some Lyman #2 like alloy, and they made nice looking boolits that shot nicely too.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    Darn! I was liking the Almost But Not Quote Serious Posts Better.

If you're going to be that way........

Do not shoot solid silver bullets. I'm sure it can be done with sabots or something but without a Lot of Work you could get a pressure spike that would violently disassemble the gun.

This is my first time using the Forum's TEXT interface. So this is what it's like sipping Bits Through a Straw.
    Mal

Boolit Master

Here is a link to the mentioned article about Jack Lewis and Dan Cotterman casting silver boolits:

http://www.hurog.com/books/silver/ranger/

At the link is a long and detailed series of articles describing the process they used to acquire silver boolits.
    Last edited by trooperdan; 01-19-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Do not shoot solid silver bullets. I'm sure it can be done with sabots or something but without a Lot of Work you could get a pressure spike that would violently disassemble the gun.
    If you have a bullet design that takes the hardness into account, you'll be fine. Barnes has been selling solid copper and solid bronze bullets for decades; bronze, at least, is harder than silver (and copper isn't much if any softer). The main thing is to have the main body of the bullet at or just below bore size, with the groove-sized driving bands thin enough to engrave without undue force.

Or just jacket a soft swaged bullet in silver, as Coonan appears to be doing, or cast an ordinary lead boolit with a silver-bearing alloy (use tin/copper/silver solder to sweeten instead of pure tin) and get a boolit that will take jacketed velocity, poured in a conventional mold. Heck, with the price of 3% silver solder, this might even be cost effective for hunting boolits (for real game, never mind the werewolves).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by I'll Make Mine View Post
    If you have a bullet design that takes the hardness into account, you'll be fine. Barnes has been selling solid copper and solid bronze bullets for decades; bronze, at least, is harder than silver (and copper isn't much if any softer). The main thing is to have the main body of the bullet at or just below bore size, with the groove-sized driving bands thin enough to engrave without undue force.

Or just jacket a soft swaged bullet in silver, as Coonan appears to be doing, or cast an ordinary lead boolit with a silver-bearing alloy (use tin/copper/silver solder to sweeten instead of pure tin) and get a boolit that will take jacketed velocity, poured in a conventional mold. Heck, with the price of 3% silver solder, this might even be cost effective for hunting boolits (for real game, never mind the werewolves).
    Exactly, "Lot of Work". It's just that this will pop up in Google and I didn't want people thinking you could just swap bullets.
    Mal

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    With a cloud of dust and a hardy HI HO SILVER AWAY. someone loaded a SILVER BOOLIT in his 223 with a 1/9 twist to 3400 FPS and there was a cloud of SILVER
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Very entertaining posts for sure. After reading all of the posts it occurs to me that many who posted here need to stay well away from Transylvania for sure ! They have a name for guys who want to use garlic or wooden bullets on Werewolves and silver bullets on Vampires. Its called Scooby Snacks ! Somebody didnt stay up late and watch enough "Creature Features" with ol Bob Wilkins when they were growing up ,,, you would be like the fella who would take his trusty old Red Ryder on a Rhino hunt ,,,