1185. You may not vote on this poll
  • gloves

859 72.49%
  • no gloves

326 27.51%
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: gloves or no gloves.

Gentlemen:

On the market these days are those very cheap cotton-mesh gloves that come in bundles for such (minimal) bucks that the cost amounts to only 10 cents/pair or so.

I cannot cast with heavy leather gloves on but these cotton items are so light I do not loose very much sensitivity at all and the protection is far better than the thinness of the glove would seem to indicate.

For example when I heat treat bullets I first drop the bullets on my cushion for a quick inspection. Then (seconds only) I pick up the hot bullets in my hands and drop them carefully in the quench-pail that sits off to one side of the casting bench. I feel no heat by doing this transfer and the gloves provide good protection from general exposure to heat around the casting furnace.

~ Just don't get them wet!

Good morning,
    Forrest

a.squibload:

You say: I don't mean to be ornery, but you're not producing lead fumes when casting.
    There's been a lot of discussion here about that, you would need to raise the lead to
    over 1000º (can't remember the number), basically to boiling point.
    When smelting lead there IS a lot of crappy stuff in the smoke!
    But not lead fumes.

Me: I'll buy that, no problem.

But how about fellows like me who cast over a furnace of some kind?

In this situation my pot sits above the flames on iron support bars - just like you would expect and I figure lots of other members have the same kind of outfit.. As casting progresses there is naturally some splashing/spilling that gets down on the support bars where it is exposed to the flames.

In the fire temperatures are far above the vaporization temperature of lead and certainly lead fumes are being produced at that time.

When I clean my outfit now and then the support bars are always covered with a layer of oxidized lead.. the same stuff we hear about being taboo in paint these days. It is colorful material, showing oranges, reds and purples. It is clear why paint makers use it as pigment ~ but it is deadly stuff.

Never play around with junk like this. Scrap it off outside in a strong tailwind! Try not to spill any lead at all. Light-off your ventilation fan and run it all the time you're casting.

Good morning,
    Forrest

Boolit Buddy

I always used gloves since I don't beat my molds open and put the sprue back into the pot. After reading about Bruce's lead tsunami I think I am going to get a welders apron before I cast again...just in case.

i havent cast in over six months; my blood lead level has not decreased from20 mcg/dl.
    memory loss? well at age 70 it is likely not the lead,
    but it concerns me anyway.
    and i wont cast again until it gets to normal.

Boolit Buddy
    Gloves or no gloves.
    Gloves or severe pain and scaring and possible lose of function of the hand.
    Gloves.

Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Gentlemen:

Here is a shot of my bullet pad, with gloves:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	58089

Good morning,
    Forrest

Boolit Buddy
    I fairly new to casting, Always wear gloves. I didn't like cutting the sprue plate with a wooden mallet, I find it mush easier with gloves, Don't want to burn my hands.

Sax.45

no gloves i drop things that i can't fell
    thank you bl

Boolit Master

Gloves.. I use regular insulated leather gloves like I use in the winter. Eye protection too!!! (and a hat and long sleeves, cotton shirt)

I use my hands a lot and hate burns more than anything. Almost any cotton glove will prevent a bad burn.

One really bad accident/burned hands.... Think how embarasing it would be to ask some else to wipe your butt because you couldn't......

Boolit Master
    I grew up on a ranch working on barb wire fences. You got to be stupid to work on barb wire or cast bullets with bare hands. Build a few miles of fence or haul hay and you will learn to love gloves.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I cannot even remotely imagine casting without wearing gloves. How do you scoot the hot boolets into a big pile and dump the sprues back into the pot without gloves?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I cannot even remotely imagine casting without wearing gloves. How do you scoot the hot boolets into a big pile and dump the sprues back into the pot without gloves?
    I use an old tablespoon, with a wood handle stuck on it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

One glove for opening the sprue plate, unless it is a Lee 6 cavity, then no gloves. I usually waterdrop, so no need to move hot boolits, and dump sprues in the melt by tipping the mold upside down over the pot. Sometimes moving ingots off the pot is hard when they are hot, so often will have 1 glove or a pair of pliers on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I grew up on a ranch working on barb wire fences. You got to be stupid to work on barb wire or cast bullets with bare hands. Build a few miles of fence or haul hay and you will learn to love gloves.
    I've used gloves for the barb wire but never for putting up hay. Hay work is such hot work how in the world can you stand to have gloves on your hands. I will however say it's been close to 10 years since I worked the hay fields & barns so cooler gloves may be available.

Boolit Grand Master

If you think gloves are cumbersome, wait till ya have blistered your fingers. Don't say it can't happen because your careful, or smart, it just hasn't happened YET.
    I know all about being young and bullet proof, but that was a long time ago for me. Just go ahead and accept the trade off of protection, and that wearing gloves is the smart thing to do.
    The burns you save yourself, you will never miss.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    I've used gloves for the barb wire but never for putting up hay. Hay work is such hot work how in the world can you stand to have gloves on your hands. I will however say it's been close to 10 years since I worked the hay fields & barns so cooler gloves may be available.
    I'm with you. When I was a kid, I worked for everyone in the neighborhood making hay. We would average close to 1000 bales a day. I never wore gloves. I remember a couple of old men wearing them, because their hide wasn't as tough as it used to be. I've strung a lot of barbed wire without them, too. Miles and miles.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I don't use gloves--I use a woodrn stick to tap off the plate and then tap to open and drop cb

Boolit Man
    Never used gloves when baling hay. Just suffered with
    blisters until my hands toughened up.
    Gloves are a wise idea with molten lead though. Same
    goes with long pants, socks & shoes.

Boolit Master

Leather and cotton are your friends.. Stay away from nylon/synthetics, they will melt on/into your skin.

Knit cotton gloves from harbor freight for me. They fit close but when your hands come near something hot you can sense the heat before you come in contact with it. Carhart shop coat, and a welders mask if the melt smokes, not if it doesn't. My regular glasses for sure.
    Last edited by Dumasron; 01-16-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: clarity