WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bug Out/Get Home/Emergency Needs Bag, need opinions on an update to my current setup

Boolit Master
    Even if you don't smoke, carry a pack of smokes. Trade for something or just hand em out one at a time. Makes you indespensible like a medic to a group of soldiers or anyone else for that matter. "Were taking the guns, ammo, food, and the guy with the smokes. Leave the Lieutenant to get someone else killed." That type of thing.
    Peanut butter and honey are forms of protein and sugar (glucose) that do not go bad or need refrigeration. You cannot find a better bug out food for short trips (less than a week) that will last longer or work better and are more digestable without creating a lot of waste (bathroom breaks). And yes, in a survival situation or combat type thing, taking a bathroom break can and often will get you killed or give you a good case of dysentery. Plus it takes time away from moving or concentrating on a direction. And when you are squatting it is possible to loose your direction of travel without a compass or making mental note of landmarks on the horizion.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    Even if you don't smoke, carry a pack of smokes. Trade for something or just hand em out one at a time. Makes you indespensible like a medic to a group of soldiers or anyone else for that matter. "Were taking the guns, ammo, food, and the guy with the smokes. Leave the Lieutenant to get someone else killed." That type of thing.
    Peanut butter and honey are forms of protein and sugar (glucose) that do not go bad or need refrigeration. You cannot find a better bug out food for short trips (less than a week) that will last longer or work better and are more digestable without creating a lot of waste (bathroom breaks). And yes, in a survival situation or combat type thing, taking a bathroom break can and often will get you killed or give you a good case of dysentery. Plus it takes time away from moving or concentrating on a direction. And when you are squatting it is possible to loose your direction of travel without a compass or making mental note of landmarks on the horizion.
    You just reminded me of retired 1SG I worked with at Ft Knox. He was a armor platoon sergeant during Desert Storm and his wife would send him cartons of cigarettes that he would freely distribute to the smokers in his platoon. He ran short and went to bum one from a Soldier that he had already given several cartons to...Soldier didnt want to give one up as he was down to 3 or so packs left. Long story short, Soldier was "quietly" reminded of who had given him the smokes and if he didnt give one up what the **** whoopin was gonna be like. Bill got his smoke and waited a few more weeks for the next care package to arrive before he got is next smoke.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    #1 coffee bags. I think clearer with coffee even if it is cold.

Tourniquet? have you hadthe training on how to use one? when applied that limb is gone then you need to know how to remove major body parts. Better to learn compression dressings. In 37 years of emergency services including 20 + as an EMT/P I never needed to use one. I did use several pressure dressings.
    Current 1st aid training is back to the use of tourniquets. Apply and keep pressure on for 50 minutes out of each hour, or 25 every half hour. The blood flow will prevent tissue loss. War in the sand has found the most effective way to save limbs.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I have a backpack with
    an insulated space blanket, matches, fire starter, water purifier tablets, knife, folding saw, change of clothes, 2 led flashlights, 100 ft para cord, 15 ft snare wire. 100 metres of dental floss, 100 metres of braided nylon fishing line, 3 barbed fish hooks (it is a survival kit, not a fishing kit), a Swedish fire starter, small vasoline, glasses repair kit, leatherman, and an 5" adjustable wrench, two small bottles of hand sanitizer (alcohol base - doubles as fire starter) Lypsol lip balm (doubles as fire starter)
    a plate, a S.S. cup, a spoon, 2 rolls of toilet paper, 5 small ziplock bags, 2 large garbage bags, a rain suit, and a hatchet. Also a compass, GP, spare batteries. Pencil and waterproof notebook. 8x25 binoculars. This fits in a 10x16x 26 backpack and weights about 25 lb. a fuel tab stove and fuel tabs (fuel tabs double as fire starter as well).
    a toque, wool gloves, and a chemical hand warmer. small first aid kit. 2 litres of water, small pack of wet wipes.

I have a 10"x10" x 26" tool box that i toss in my truck for hunting. it contains a single burner peak naptha stove (in an aluminum case that doubles as 2 pots) , a funnel, 1 litre naptha, a couple of bic lighters, a couple of ration packs. A folding saw, hatchet, 3" blade knife, a diamond sharpening "stone", a 6 sheave rope hoist with 100 feet of rope on it, a short nylon rope, toque, wool gloves, chemical hand warmer, paper matches in a ziplock bag, waterproof matches. 7x50 binoculars, a roll of paper towel, a liter of windex, hand sanitizer. and a Stainless steel cup. and two rolls of toilet paper in ziplock bags. Lypsol lip balm (doubles as fire starter)
    50 - .22 rimfire cartriges, 20 - 30-06 and a box of 12 gauge slugs. Also a custom made hook that will hook on the pelvic bone of a deer so I can left it with the hoist.

Dental floss is strong enough to use to lash together a lean to shelter. The garbage bags can double as a ground sheet or rain poncho.
    I have also broken down MRPs and have at least two meals in the backpack and the toolbox.
    Both kits have 2 oz of instant coffee, 6 teabags, (not Earl Grey - Blue Ribbon Orange Pekoe, real tea) and about 6 oz of sugar,

I carry a 8 litre jug of water in my vehicle I can (and have) spent several days very comfortably. if I toss the 5* sleeping bag and a tarp in the truck I can be really comfortable.

Here the chemical hand warmers are critical as in -30C one can not light a fire or hold a match with numb fingers.

The following gets taken sometimes as well
    A cheap walmart hinged tub with a full sized axe, 20" swede saw. come along, insulated pants, and a parka, along with a two burner naptha camp stove and 4 litres of naptha. This also has a naptha catalytic heater in it and a 14x 16 canvas tarp. 100 metres of 3/16" cable and a 14"bolt cutter. ( the bolt cutter is there when I am back in the woods on a forestry road and on my way out discover the road closed with a padlocked gate. The gate had been installed during the time I was in the bush, no notice, no signs on the road. ) I have also used the cable to make cable chains to get a 4x4 up 6 miles of 7 to 12% grade when the vacumn shift front hubs failed to lock in.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Current 1st aid training is back to the use of tourniquets. Apply and keep pressure on for 50 minutes out of each hour, or 25 every half hour. The blood flow will prevent tissue loss. War in the sand has found the most effective way to save limbs.
    That is the same way I was trained in the late 70s, they said the same way. Resulting muscle damage from the tourniquet generaly caused the limb loss. It seems that if you put three Drs in the same room you get a lot of different opions.
    One of my supervising Drs has made several trips to the sand box.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of good advice to be found. Can't add much but I didn't see this. I put clothing in food-saver bags and vaccum seal them. It really compresses them down so they take up little space. Same with ammo. MRE's with the heater. The heater is great under the poncho/tent to get some heat on your core without building a fire. I also have climbing gear in my truck and have found that the 6mm and 7mm Accessory cord is great for more things than one mind can think of. As much med gear as you know how to use and can carry. Everyone likes the medic.
    Compromise is giving up something you are unwilling to fight for! ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ www.concealedcarryofarkansas.com

Boolit Buddy
    I think your going to need a bigger vehicle

Boolit Master

I forgot to mention a good led flashlight...
    Maglites are wonderful til the bulb burns out - ever change a bulb in the dark?
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Well guys thanks to everyone that chimed in, Ive finalized (for now) my car/emergency move supplies,
    Car.
    Machete.
    Auto rescue kit(jumpers, flares etc)
    Rescue tow rope.
    Flare gun kit.
    357 revolver&50rds ammo, vac packed.
    .223 rifle& 100 rds ammo on bandoleer, vac packed.
    Trauma aid unit (stomp medical pack)
    2 gals water.
    Volcano canteen/stove set.
    Large oilcloth.
    Large tarp.
    1000ft paracord.
    100ft climbing rope.
    Toolbag (wrenches, hammer, etc)
    E/pack.

E/pack.
    Small first aid kit.
    Combat lifesaver kit.
    .380 auto compact pistol/50rds ammo.
    Pen flaresx 10.
    esbit stove&4 tabs.
    2 bic lighters.
    3full changes of clothes.
    Bar, sealed, castile soap.
    diamond stone, sm.
    Straight razor.
    Small scissors.
    Shemagh (100%cotton cloth, for a whole lot more than wearing)
    Sm tube vaseline.
    2pks lucky strike, vac pac.
    4hersheys bars, vac packed, double.
    Vial, unbreakable, 8oz honey.
    Stainless steel bowl.
    Mug,copper.
    Pilots survival knife.
    Local gazeteer pages (can be supplimented on trips)
    Compass and utc square.
    Swiss cadet knife.
    Shakelight.
    Ferrosium firestarter.
    Flask, 120 proof bourbon, uncut.
    Unbreakable lg magnifyer lens.
    Copies of important documents.
    Extra set shoes (some ultra lightweights)
    Toilet paper.
    Duct tape

Hurricane vest (for work purposes, i only keep it in there during hurricane season)

Two way radio. (vhf/uhf bands also)
    Spare two way radio.
    4sets spare rechargeable batteries.
    flashlight.
    Penlight.
    Spare batteries.
    Shemagh (75 mph rain really hurts)
    Heavy duty poncho.
    Duct tape.
    Cigars in waterproof tubes.
    Personnel documents/credentials/letter of marque if you will from local eoc.
    Any man who seeks to live free should keep a Bible on his desk and a .45 in the drawer.

Boolit Master

My brother in law and I have experimented with various forms of fire starting. The best thing we've found -- by accident, fits in an altoids can. Regular cotton balls sprayed with WD40. Keep those along with your flint or mag fire starter and you're in like Flynn. They have lasted six months now and still flame on. The cotton balls themselves soaked with WD40 will burn aproximately three to five minutes.

I'm surprised the thread went so far without mention of a compass until later on in the thread. I prefer GPS but GPS can fail or go dead. An old timey magnetic compass (QUALITY......) won't let you down. A topo map of your area is valuable also.

I carry a pack in the truck as in the winter up here if you break down and are not in cell range it can be a long cold walk.................

The last three things I'll mention are these: SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS. Cotton, wool, and poly cover the gamut.

Of course, if I had my way, a hummer with a Ma Duece on top..............................
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Never ask
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Sanitary napkins. You have to buy them for the women occasionally, may as well have some good compresses in your gear. Ask at the store which ones are most absorbent!

Boolit Master
    Learned about keeping sanitary napkins in the first aid kit 35+ years ago from a buddy who taught primary response first aid at the Sheriff's Academy.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    WristRocket Slingshot, trail mix, small solar panel

Boolit Master
    +1 on the Wristrockets; one for each member of the family. "The Goofy Wolf" has saddlebags and carries 4 liters of water, his own stainless cup, and a couple of days worth of freeze dried meat.
    One other thing I pack in the med. bag are two manuals for treatment of injuries/trauma; one for humans and one for K-9s.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see SAM splints mentioned.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    someone who's a better typer than me should compile this and sticky it

in addition to what everyone else said, I would include some needles,safety pins and some strong thread (quilters thread is good) and a good book or two.
    what lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to while lies within us - emerson