WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whose responsibility?

Whose responsibility?

Hello Folks,

Recently I ordered a box of lead ingots from someone here. When it arrived today both my Post Office and the Post Office it was mailed from had stamped it "received without contents." Prior to making the deal I had cautioned the seller "You probably know this, but you'll have to really reinforce the box to get it through intact. Otherwise the post office will deliver an empty box."

My question is, in your opinion is the seller responsible to issue a refund or deliver the goods?

I did write to him and ask how he plans to make it right, but have not heard back.

Thanks, Tom

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the MAILER made a mistake to me. HIS PO said it was "received without contents". WAS the package damaged when you received it? If not then I would consider mail fraud by the sender.

Love Life
    They mailed an empty box?

Boolit Master

Please post photos of box. Sender's name can be covered with a post-it note or something similar.

I would take this offline and PM Ken or a Mod. They are most helpful in these type situations.

If I were to send it, it would have made it, I over use the tape and probably would have double boxed it to boot.
    But if for some reason it were to somehow lose its contents I would send a replacement if I had more to send, if no more was available I would refund them, but that is just me.

Michael Grace

Boolit Master

Unfortunately, If the package was not insured and gets damaged and the contents spill out , the post office delivers the empty box. I sent a well taped small FR box to a member and it was delivered empty.
    He went to the receiving post offices and the contents were never found. There is no recourse in this case other than to report it to the Postmaster, if it wasnt insured.
    Both the shipper and the customer lose , unless the shipper makes it right on their own.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master
    I'm still confused how the SENDING post office stamped it "recieved without contents".

Boolit Master
    I sold 60# of lead thought it was taped good but it was never delivered, it was sent to damaged mail per letter I got and a address where I could file a claim. Well I just shipped the buyer a new box and did a better job of packing and the filling a claim was more trouble than the lead was worth.
    By the way that customer was happy enough that I sell him all the lead I sell now, if the shipper wants to have a good customer he has to bite the boolit and make it right.
    Frank G.

Boolit Grand Master
    seller is responsible in this situation
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I recieved an insured empty torn package once. While trying to make a claim with the PO I was told there was no claim because my package was delivered! Good luck with the PO and insurance!
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Good luck with any claim with the USPS.I have had several insured packages lost damaged ect. and havent had much luck getting my claims paid.THE SHIPPER IS RESPONSIBLE TO REPLACE UNLESS BUYER DIDNT WANT TO PAY FOR THE INSURANCE.GOOD LUCK FELLOWS.Mike
    If I tell you a Rooster can pull a plow You better hook him up

Boolit Buddy
    I am going though this right now. I sold a member here two years ago some solder and he is just getting around to opening it (we all pack things away). How he describes the metal I think I sent him the wrong box. I am will be testing a sample of the questionable metal and I have sent out a replacement for it. Just talk to the person respectively and the two of you should work this out. The best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I would take this offline and PM Ken or a Mod. They are most helpful in these type situations.
    hope it all works out !
    Last edited by jixxerbill; 01-05-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: bad day
    PMI pistol range USMC 85-89

im looking for these contender pistol barrels--> 6tcu,.30herrett

barrels i have-->.221 fireball,7-30 waters,7tcu,.357 herrett,.44 mag,6.5tcu

There's only 2 people in this world i trust, one of them is me the other one's not you...

The bottom line is... If it's a substantial amount, The buyer should request insurance. I've been buying and selling some over the past two years or so, and have found that the only ones that get lost are the ones that aren't insured. With the exception of one incident, all insured packages that I've shipped have made it. And the one that didn't, was made right by the PO. If it was lead, I'd send some more, but some things you don't have duplicates of. Most guys on here will make it right, but at the end of the day, if you didn't ask for insurance your just out.
    My .02 worth,
    Wayne
    Aim low boys, there ridin shetlands

Boolit Buddy
    The REPUBLIC of TEXAS The state most likely to succeed
    The receipt shows the weight
    Keep your powder dry....blackbike
    :takinWiz:

I received this from the seller a few minutes ago. I'll let you know how it turns out. It looks like it's going to be okay. Thanks.

I will get a check out tomorrow and mail it to you. Have no idea what happened - I personally delivered the package to the post office and a friend that works there checked it in.
    Sorry for any inconvenience.

sending lead in the mail

I have sent lead ingots in the mail. but one thing I do is I make a wooden box that will fit inside a med. flat rate box. and I have even had those broken with the receiving post office stamping the box with not properly packaged. that one I do have to admit I usede a nail gun to put it togather. but I have had other boxes that I screwed togather that have made it just fine. I also use fiber tape on the boxes I also glue the box to the wooden boxes now tapeing and double boxing the box in my oppinion will not get the job done. and you will have a better chance of loosing you ingots than if you do it the way I do with wooden boxes inside now small flat rate boxes if I send lead in I build a wooden mould and poure it full of lead. till the block of lead is the same size as the inside of the small flat rate box. then I glue the box to the lead. then tape with fiber tape the ends and all around the edge of the box never lost a small flat rate box yet . D Crockett

Boolit Buddy
    Shipper would be liable, unless there was not insurance on it then the PO would reimburse.
    Looking for: 32acp mold-- 22 hornet jwords-- 7.62x54r- jwords, boolits, mold-- 7x57 brass, mold---7.62 Nagant-brass-- 8x56r-brass, jwords-- any old firearm laying around ( I'm starting to take gun smithing classes, and I'm looking for pieces I can work on, PM me with your details)

Poor execution of a problem on your part doesn't constitute a problem on mine.

13/14 Trapping season
    Coon-1
    Grinner-3
    Squirrel-3

Boolit Buddy
    It's not good to hear that the mods are not responsive but this is a very busy time of year. I've experienced several rather flaky online transactions recently and I cut them some slack.

I don't know what the law is but when I order something I feel it's my responsibility to get the funds to the vendor and his to get the merchandise to me. In the past sellers have resent me merchandise that didn't show up and I have once or twice resent payment. If the seller expressly requires insurance before he will guarantee delivery that's a different matter. The terms were stated up front and you know the rules you are playing by.

Unless there was a lot of money involved, I would go above and beyond to make the other party happy with the transaction. In my experience, most people here seem to follow that policy.

Hard to believe that the PO can renege on insurance after losing the contents of a package. I wouldn't accept that without a fuss. I would certainly contact the head office or whatever and make enough of a nuisance of myself that they might take more care with the next person.

I hope this works out to your satisfaction.
    ..still remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses. / Marcus Aurelius.

Reloading 357mag, 38Sp, 9mm, 380acp