MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: If the supply of ammo and primers dried up completely would you

Voters
365. You may not vote on this poll
  • stop shooting to save what you have

87 23.84%
  • try making primers

68 18.63%
  • buy a muzzleloader

32 8.77%
  • B & C

178 48.77%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: If ammo and primers dried up completely

In Remembrance
    I reckon Houndog has done hit the nail on the head. For my purposes I may not even notice, but I hope there will be some around for the grandkids without living underground.

Boolit Buddy
    My choice isn't listed either. But I already include archery and airguns as among my interests. The technology has advanced to such a level that one is capable of shooting groups at 50 yards as tight the average shooter can do with a firearm. Also, I'm waiting for someone to miniaturize a magnetic impulse projectile hurtler that can be carried in a shoulder rig and energized by four AA batteries.

Love Life
    What will I do if ammo and primers dried up? Get very good with a slingshot, bow, and sticks.

Banned

Awe- cast, shoot, and recycle, and don't forget BP. There's always a way to have some fun and live in the moment. I'm still in shock over the election and there's only so much I can take at one time personally.

Us kind of guys always find a way...

Boolit Master

Well I already own a couple of rock lock muzzleloaders, which I use most of the time anyway. I don't feel a bit handicapped going in to the woods even to squirrel hunt with either my trade gun or my 32 cal squirrel rifle. I kill just as many as I would with a 22 or a shot gun. I would most likely continue to do what I am doing. Hunting with a ML and not using up many of my regular components.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy

If ammo and primers dried up completely

Sportsman's Warehouse north Denver shelves are just about empty in the primers area. All that's left is a couple boxes of large rifle, large pistol magnums and shotgun primers. Nearly all the .224 bullets are gone. Most of the .45ACP shelf is empty. 30 minute wait at the gun counter to get some powder. IMR-4198 gone.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would just like to remind members, I build smooth bore and rifled flintlocks. This is a good time of year to start an order for spring delivery, assuming suppliers could get the wood and steel in my hands in a timely manner.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance
    Waksupi pm coming your way.

Boolit Grand Master

I have allways wanted a flintlock.....might be fun.
    gary

Boolit Master

Already have the muzzleloader and powder. Guess I need a .490" round ball mold and learn how to knap flint.

Boolit Grand Master

Boy for a flintlock shooter that's a tough one, lets see... Shoot my flinter!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I would just like to remind members, I build smooth bore and rifled flintlocks. This is a good time of year to start an order for spring delivery, assuming suppliers could get the wood and steel in my hands in a timely manner.
    More like a modern day Michelangelo of gun builders. Check this out guys. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-rifle-project
    Last edited by Just Duke; 12-19-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Boolit Mold
    b&c, probably crossbow also.

Boolit Master
    Back in the 1800s great grandad built a "matchlock" type punt gun (2 in. bore) for shooting waterfowl commercially, it's in a museum now. Nowdays they are certainly illegal to use or possibly even possess(destructive device by definition). They are very easy to build and are constructed pretty regularly by certain people. Merry Christmas to all! 10 ga

X Z
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    Well I already own a couple of rock lock muzzleloaders,
    LOL ! Never heard that one before. And I own one. It's even accurate!
    Cognitive Dissident

I voted buy a muzzleloader, but my real answer would be..
    Bow and arrow.
    I know plenty of guys that whittle bows, I know more guys that glue them up. I could learn.
    I already make my own arrows, I know how to split my own feathers
    I can and do, make my own endless loop bowstrings, I could learn how to tie a flemish knot..
    I've knapped chert, flint, obsidian and thunder chert into usable heads, I've also learned how to make trade points out of old Skil saw blades..

I think I'd make it awhile.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    LOL ! Never heard that one before. And I own one. It's even accurate!
    must be a regional thing.. they're simply called "flinters" here..

Boolit Master
    well i already have some muzzleloaders. some flint and some precussion. they are not that hard to build. the only problem is to feed them. already have a large stock of bp. would have to learn to make it.

i thought every one called them rocklocks.

wating for it to go down hill is not the way to do it. you should get that flintlock now. learn how to shoot it and care for it. you don't need a big one a .45 would do nice. it would save on powder and lead.

Learn to Make primers and use crossbows to cure the trigger time.
    High Hook

Boolit Master
    This thread is over 3 years old as is the post I quote part of

You know, .......I am amazed that a thread like this can extend for three pages, without anyone seriously addressing the potentials of large bore air guns!

As soon as I saw the thread I thought about the accounts of the air rifle used by a member of the Lewis & Clark Expedition.

Long bows,recurve,compound,cross bows,air rifles and pistols,sling shots,blow guns have all been used very efectively in the past and still are by more than a few.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68