RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 314299 for 314 groove?

314299 for 314 groove?

I'm about to "bite the boolit" and order a Lyman 314299 mold for my No1 MkIII* Lee Enfield. I have slugged this rifle at breech and muzzle and get .304 bore and .3135 groove at either end. Can someone who uses the 314299 tell me if they drop at .314 or a little larger with wheel weights? Should I be looking for a mold that's .316 instead?

most cast .312-.314 but the nose is barely over .302 on on many of the new Lymans.My buddy got an undersized Lyman 314299 and it took them over a month to get him an replacement that was also undersized.Lymans cherries have varied quite a bit on this one lately.

If you need those diameters Accurate Molds makes a copy that you can specify diameters and it will be correct.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-200L-D.png

George
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 11-03-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

My experience differs a little from George's with regards to Lyman moulds.

In my experience they tend to cast undersize. I borrowed one 314299 that cast at 0.312" and I bought one (nothing else on the market then) that cast at 0.313" with undersize nose as well. I had to lap it to make it work in my gun.

I have since purchased an NOE 316299 that casts at 0.315"+ with my usual alloy of range scrap and COWW. I gas check and size to 0.315" and they shoot well.

Last time I looked NOE had some 314299's and 316299's left but not anymore. Too bad as they cast right to spec and are well made moulds. The closest they have is two styles of 155 gr. at 0.316":

http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/cat...sort=2a&page=1

Not a lot of help if you want the 200 gr.

You can try the Lyman and may luck out or you may have to Beagle it or lap it a couple thou.

I have always liked the Lyman iron moulds I just don't like their tendency to be undersize.

George is right on with the Accurate Mold comment though, they are terrific moulds and you can order in whatever diameter you want.

I would check Accurate Molds out before buying the Lyman.

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 11-03-2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Spelling

longbow is correct the current ones are closer to .312 .My two older ones cast .314 x .303

It sounds like I should just go with Accurate Molds. Maybe take their "314299" and specify .316 band diameter as cast with wheel weights? I figure I can always lubrisize down a couple thou if needed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunboat57 View Post
    It sounds like I should just go with Accurate Molds. Maybe take their "314299" and specify .316 band diameter as cast with wheel weights? I figure I can always lubrisize down a couple thou if needed.
    If you can afford Lyman, Accurate is the choice in this case; for about $20 more than a Lyman mold, you get one that casts what you want, minus nothing, plus up to .0015 -- just right to size to your spec. It's easy to open up a sizer, by the way; if you can't get one in .316, get a .314 and lap/hone it until it sizes where you want it with your alloy.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll Make Mine brings up a good point too ~ Tom says to order bearing in mind his tolerances are -0.00"/+0.0015" (though he seems to hold tighter than that).

If you order 0.316" the mould could cast as large as 0.3175". It would most likely be closer to 0.316" but either way you could still size that down to 0.314"/0.315". You will want a thou or two over groove diameter or at least as close a fit to the throat as you can chamber.

I size my 316299's to 0.315" for my .303's and they chamber in all four.

Longbow

Boolit Master

I bought a Lyman 314299 recently via Midway.

As i got it it cast .299- to almost .300ish on the nose and .311-.312 on the bands. I sent it back and they recut it.

Now it casts .3138-.314 on the bands and still .300 on the nose despite them telling me their 314299 specs were for a .302-.303 nose and .313-.314 band. I have not sent it back a second time because it just may work well for my .30-40 krag. The full diameter 314299's that my buddy gave me from his mold were 314 sized to 312 and .303 on the nose and they shot extremely well. I have yet got the time to try the loads I made with the recut mold I purchased. I half expect it not to work with the old krag bore and I really doubt the my .303 bore No4mk1 would like them at all.

In the future, I'm just buying the custom dies unless a used mold seller can tell me it casts at diameters I can use.

Boolit Grand Master

I probably should have sent mine back as well but decided I would try lapping it. That worked out pretty well and I got it to cast at about 0.315" on the body and 0.303" on the nose,'

Since the driving bands of yours are now correct or at least close you could lap the nose to gain at least a couple thou.

I would suggest Beagling, and it can't hurt to try, but with 5 groove a slightly oval nose may not true up in the barrel. It is easy to try though and might bring diameter up by 0.003".

If you decide to lap, I suggest turning the driving bands off or cutting the boolit at the front driving band so all that gets lapped is the nose. Work the nose until it is casting to 0.303" then use a full length boolit to do a final finishing lap.

This is what is making me shy away from Lyman moulds nowadays... too many reports of undersize boolits.

I can't figure out why this seems to be such a common problem and not just with Lyman. It doesn't cost any more to cut a cavity larger by a couple thou. In cherry cut moulds maybe the manufacturers are re-sharpening cherries too many times until they are undersize?

Longbow

In Remembrance

The Lyman #314299 mold that I bought new from Midway 2 years or so back dropped bullets made with Lyman #2 alloy at .311" dia. I sent it back with sample bullets cast from differing alloys to prove my point. About 3 weeks later I got my mold back with sample bullets that had been cast with it and all were .314 - .315" dia. They even sent back the samples I had sent them. The mold had been re-cut and chambers polished, evidenced by the shiny surfaces and no burrs. The mold works great now and boolets don`t snag or hang up. Made me wonder why it couldn`t have been done right the first time? Ironic to say that the NOE #316299 I got last year was right on the money from the very start.Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Made me wonder why it couldn`t have been done right the first time?
    Anyone in quality control will tell you it's cheaper to do it right the first time than to have to redo a significant fraction of the production. Anyone in production will tell you it's impossible to get management to spend the money to do it right and save the money for rework. Anyone in management will tell you it's the customer's fault for expecting things to actually be made to specification at the current price.

Two of the three are correct.

Boolit Master
    In cals. like this, you must get the right size on the forward "bore riding" portion as well as the belts, or accuracy will not be what it should be.

Boolit Master

I don't know if this helps but Lyman just installed a new cherry. I sent one back 2 times in June. They retooled and my new one (received 10/12) casts a shade over .314 with wheel weights. The nose is .303.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by I'll Make Mine View Post
    Anyone in quality control will tell you it's cheaper to do it right the first time than to have to redo a significant fraction of the production. Anyone in production will tell you it's impossible to get management to spend the money to do it right and save the money for rework. Anyone in management will tell you it's the customer's fault for expecting things to actually be made to specification at the current price.

Plus 1

(CQE, CQA, QSA)
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

I think I'll get Accurate to make my mold with a .305 bore-riding section to engage my .304 bore and .316 driving bands which I can always size down as needed. From what I've been reading on this site so far, those seem to be good dimensions to go with.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    most cast .312-.314 but the nose is barely over .302 on on many of the new Lymans.My buddy got an undersized Lyman 314299 and it took them over a month to get him an replacement that was also undersized.Lymans cherries have varied quite a bit on this one lately.

If you need those diameters Accurate Molds makes a copy that you can specify diameters and it will be correct.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-200L-D.png

George
    I just got my undersized mould back after 5 months of waiting. When I sent it out it was casting .3125 to .313. I got what was labelled a replacement with a cast bullet in the box that I presume was a test casting. I measured the test bullet at .313"

I hope to try out the mould today as there is supposed to be a break in the rain. After all the pain dealing with Lyman, if this mould still casts undersized, I will have it enlarged here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorggg View Post
    I don't know if this helps but Lyman just installed a new cherry. I sent one back 2 times in June. They retooled and my new one (received 10/12) casts a shade over .314 with wheel weights. The nose is .303.
    Part of my big wait was due to Lyman not having a good cherry. They sent the mould to me after the new cherry arrived and they re-cut a bunch of undersized moulds.

I just cast some bullets out of #2 alloy with my long awaited mould. I got a measurement of .3125" for the lot of them.

I am furious and will be writing to them again soon.

I'm not getting a good impression about Lyman from what I'm hearing here. I'm definitely going with Accurate. I really don't like having to be the QC inspector for any product I buy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by I'll Make Mine View Post

The fella at Lyman I talked to about my 314299 was definitely in management.

Boolit Bub
    My #1 shot very good casting .3135, bore and groove right for #1. #4 rifle 2-groove at .317 groove needed custom .318/.305 bullet to shoot well, same CB in #5 finally worked even B and G = to #1, long and large throat. I keep my loads to 1500 MV for safety.