MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Savage 116

In Remembrance

Savage 116

I traded into a 116 this morning 338 win mag, is there anything out of the ordinary I should know about it.

It has a bushnell elite 3200 on it, what is the opinion on bushnell scopes. I've never owned a bushnell before and 90 % of my experiance with savage is a model 99. Thanks.

Boolit Man
    I'd like to know some more about the Savage 116 (.338 WIN MAG) myself. I bought one a couple of months ago.

I have an Elite 3200 on a Weatherby Vangaurd (.270 WIN). Used it, and still do, for about 5-yrs now with no problems, and I like the clarity of the lenses. Great customer service with Bushnell as well, I've sent in some of the less expensive Dusk-to-Dawn versions with no hassel, and the Elite warranty is stated as better.

Good luck with the Savage.

In Remembrance
    Does yours, when unloading the gun just roll the cartridge out and drop it at your feet, or does it throw it out. Mine may throw an empty (don't know yet) but just sort of drops a loaded round.

I see there are several variations of the 116, how do I tell what I have?

Boolit Man
    Mine seems to be ejecting similar to my other rifles. Empty rounds are thrown up to a couple of feet from the rifle, depending on how rapidily I cycle the bolt. Loaded rounds I tend to slowly extract into my hand. Since a loaded round is heavy I would think it would fly that far when extracted/ejected.

In Remembrance
    I will have to shoot it and see what it does with an empty. It seemed like it just kind of rolled them out, of course I wasn't trying to throw them across the room either.

Boolit Grand Master

No complaints on the elite 3200 3x9 I put on 7mm rem mag in 2000, still holds zero.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Sometimes a stainless rifle can be a little finicky to break in. A friend of mine bought a 116 in .338 and ended up having to firelap the bore. Once he did, it's a real shooter.

The odds are that your's won't give you any trouble. And my experience with the Savage platform has been stellar once I got my nose out of the air from being a Remington guy .......... LOL!

Simply put, you've both got real fine rifles and a very fine proven caliber.

If you really want to get the most out of your Savages, I'd recommend the savageshooters forum. Access to the member classifieds allow you to acquire lots of parts and pieces to allow you customize or even barrel change your rifle. There is also a lot of archived information there and of course there are the members themselves .......... you'll be surprised at the world you've stepped into by buying one of those firearms!!

I only have one 3200 Bushnell and have not really hunted with it. It is the Fire fly model and that's why I bought it. I have not really been a fan of Bushnell for many years, but my experience with this scope though limited has all been good thus far ........ and the fire fly feature is outstanding.

I get the sense that shooters on the whole have not embraced it as much as they should though ....... but then, I am a night time coyote hunter ........ so it's near and dear to my heart.

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 12-02-2012 at 12:26 AM.