Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mossberg 500 Slug Barrel - Anybody hunt whitetail with one?

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by boltons75 View Post
    My dad uses a Mossberg slug barrel that was made for the Remington 870, and he shoots Remington copper solids, 2 3/4, with great accuracy out to 100 yards.

But remember, just because one 500 likes a certain slug doesn't mean the next identical one will like it. Trial and error, I currently shot lightfield slugs in my shot guns.
    I have some fixed opinions on lightfields and copper solids based on failures.

Lightfields are great. I love them and use them occasionally in my Ithaca (usually use winchester forster slugs). Unfortunately the rim brass is very soft. The extractor on Remington autoloaders will peen the rim during the course of chambering and unchambering lightfields. The administrative functions of loading and unloading in the field for safety sake will eventually bind up your action. Not only will you not learn this on the range since all rounds chambered are typically fired, you will experience this during hunting at the most inopportune moment, guaranteed.
    It has happened twice to my hunting partners with 11-87s. I have ceased using lightfields in my 11-87 for this exact reason. They're fine in my Ithaca and I continue to use them with great success. I suspect you won't have any issue in a mossberg either, however I recommend you inspect the rims on rounds until you're satisfied they're not disfigured or distorted.

Copper Solids:
    When I bought my 11-87 I tried half a dozen different types of ammo, 2.75" copper solids shot best, so I purchased a case. I rue that decision. Twice I shot deer at extremely close range only to have the slug super expand and fail to penetrate. The first was a 150 lb doe. I hit her on the point of the shoulder quartering toward me, 10 yards away. It only one lunged her. The second a 200 lb doe I chest shot from above. I chalked the first up to abnormality. After the second I began to have misgivings. That same season my hunting partner put 3 copper solids into a broadside buck on the move. Not 1 of them exited a 150 lb buck. Not 1.
    I would not recommend copper solids to anyone.

YMMV.

Oh BTW, to the OP, one of my hunting buddies uses a 500 with a rifled barrel. He uses plain old winchester forster cup slugs to great effect. As always, try a few brands and see what your gun prefers.

Last edited by fatnhappy; 11-24-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy

Well, went out. Monday missed an off-hand shot at a doe. She was on the side of a steep hill and slipped right as I shot. Hit a tree about 2 inches above her.

Wednesday I hit a doe and tracked her and shot again to finish the job. Thursday I got a button buck. One shot and he dropped like a rock on the spot.

I kept the doe for my family, but let my brother have the button buck. With him being on disability and not working and taking care of Mom and Dad, the meat might help out his already strained marriage.
    What would you have if you woke up tomorrow with only what you thanked the Lord for today?

Congratulations!!!!! There has been a lot of deer killed with Mossberg slug guns.

Boolit Mold
    I use a mossberg 500 with rifled slug barrel in 20 ga. It is very accurate with hornaday sst slugs

Boolit Master

I've gotten many a deer with my Mossberg 500 with the rifled barrel. When I first got it, that sucker would kick hard. I have a slug barrel and a choked barrel. When deer season comes around, I take the butt plate off and fill the stock screw hole full of bird shot. It holds quite a bit. The extra weight really helps with the recoil. I use Remington slugger 3" magnum's with a 1 oz. lead slug. I have a scope for it but really like the stock sights better. I shoot correct (left) handed by the way. Try putting some shot in that butt stock. I bet you like it.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71