RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Snowy Mountain whitetail

Boolit Master

Little Snowy Mountain whitetail

It’s days like this that remind me why I think still hunting is such a hoot.

About mid-morning on Saturday I was working my way through the timber when I came across what appeared to be a fresh scrape. Thinking there was nothing to lose, I blew a couple of doe bleats on a deer call, surprised at how loud they sounded on the still air. After waiting a few minutes I continued on. Taking 6 or 8 steps I stopped and caught some motion out of the corner of my eye. At first all I could see were four legs heading my direction. Then I could make out the body of a deer and finally some antlers. Judging by the way he was traveling I would have a clear view when he passed across a small window in the ponderosa pine about 60 yards out. Dropping to one knee and chambering a round I got ready. He kicked at the shot and took off, running maybe 40 yards and stopping in some thick stuff. He looked kind of sick but before I could put a second bullet in him he made one last jump and piled up.
    The rifle is a re-bored Marlin chambered in .356 Win.
    Bullet was from a 220 grain group buy mould styled after the RCBS 35-200.
    Felix Loob & Gator Checks.
    Varget powder pushes the two alloy Bruce B Soft Point to around 2,300 ft/sec.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Little Snowy deer.jpg   360-220.JPG  

Boolit Master
    Just dog gone nice all the way round!!! Nice buck nice rifle and a nice boolit well suited for the job.
    Oh and a nice ending to a nice story.

Boolit Mold
    Ah yes tenderloins frying in the pan with onions, nothing better. Well done sir.

I wish I could get bucks to pose like that for me with their rifles. Must of done some good calling. Ya did good.

Boolit Master
    Nice story, congratulations! What caliber was the rifle originally and who rebored it to 356 Winchester?
    What was the cost and turn around time?

Boolit Master
    Man, that's a nice buck!!!
    Good job

nice buck bud!..
    PMI pistol range USMC 85-89

im looking for these contender pistol barrels--> 6tcu,.30herrett

barrels i have-->.221 fireball,7-30 waters,7tcu,.357 herrett,.44 mag,6.5tcu

There's only 2 people in this world i trust, one of them is me the other one's not you...

Excellent.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    hey wtg thats the way its done excellent
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Cast Hunter

That's a dandy buck!

Boolit Grand Master

Nicely done. Congrats!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I've been near the Snowys several times, but never hunted them.
    Looks like you know how. Great job!

In Remembrance
    Nice job. Can we hear more about your boolits and how it performed, especially about meat damage.

Boolit Master

Very nice buck. Looks like you did everything just right. Congradulations. Good caliber. I don't hear much about it. However I can see that it does good on big bucks.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    You did a good job.
    I would guess you had a 35 Remington 336 converted to 356 Winchester?
    Interesting to know what was required to get that done.
    I would guess that you already have a Lifetime Supply of Brass for it?
    I put back some additional 375 Winchester a while back. My 35 Bullberry Contender barrel uses 375 Winchester as the parent case.
    The 307, 356, and 375 Winchester are all a little scarce to locate brass for.
    I had a NIB 99 Savage 375 Win several years ago. I had my gunsmith clean out all the metal shavings, and clean the trigger up and knock some burrs off it. I kept it unfired and let a collector have it several years ago. I probably should have hunted with it. It would have made a great cast bullet gun.

Bob
    Last edited by Viper225; 11-27-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Nice buck. I like the Little Snowys!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Thank you all for the complements.

The Marlin was originally a 30-30. I had the re-boring and chambering done by Jesse Ocumpaugh in Cottage Grove, Oregon. Turn-around time was two or three weeks, I can find no fault with his work.
    J.E.S. website is 35caliber.com

My hunting bullets are cast of two alloys, a 70 gr pure lead nose with the remainder a mix of wheel weight & linotype. I use Bruce B’s method for “Making soft point bullets with any mould”. Casting details are in a sticky and on castpics. The bullet on this smallish deer broke a rib going in, took out both lungs & the tip of the heart and broke a rib & the off shoulder on exiting. Blood shot tissue, while not excessive, may have been caused by bone fragments and/or bullet expansion. I am beginning to re-think my need for these two alloy bullets. Since I only have a few left from my original casting session 5 years ago I am going to experiment with different alloys and annealing treatments between now and next fall.

The Little Snowy Mountains in central Montana is one of my favorite places to hunt. I went there with the objective of bringing home an elk but that didn’t happen this trip. To paraphrase Pat McManus, I did look over a few nice bulls, but none that I wanted to drop the hammer on. Partly because unless you have a special permit this is a cow elk only district. But mostly because they were on the N Bar Ranch and the owners take a dim view of trespassers.

Boolit Master

Well done!!

Boolit Master
    Very nice! And a great way to end the season as well.
    I have hunted elk down there quit a bit, it is a beautiful place to be. Friends that own a ranch next to the N Bar tell me they have patrols around the perimeter fence all through hunting season, not a place I'd wanna get caught!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Nice buck! Congrats!
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"