Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: New and in need of info on Lyman T-Mag2 for 30-30s

Question New and in need of info on Lyman T-Mag2 for 30-30s

A friend Gave me a Lyman T mag 2 complete . Lyman 31141 & 311291HP molds.about 900 gas checks, 2 cans of IMR3031 powder, ideal 310 hand loader for 30-30 & 30-06. Can I use the 310 dies with the adapters ? What do i need for sizing/gas checks . Going to give it a whirle
    Last edited by KyBill; 11-21-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Simplified post

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    A friend Gave me a Lyman T mag 2 complete . Lyman 31141 & 311291HP molds.about 900 gas checks, 2 cans of IMR3031 powder, ideal 310 hand loader for 30-30 & 30-06. Can I use the 310 dies with the adapters ? What do i need for sizing/gas checks . Going to give it a whirle

Congratulations !

I have never used the T-Mag , but I think that press is one my late farther-in-law bought latter in life ?

I think you can use the 310 dies with adapters ? But Lee dies are so reasonable , you may be able to buy them for close to the price as the adapters ? Adapters would not be needed for the Lee dies .

Check out the gun shows for used dies . Remember you will need a shell holder for .30-30 & .30-06 .

You can lube & size with the Lee kits

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casti...nd-sizing-kit/

The 3031 may be better suited for .30-30 than .30-06 , but I suspect 3031 will get you started for both .

If you do not have a reloading manual , buy a Lyman manual and read it cover to cover , on metalic reloading , before you start .

God bless
    Wyr

God bless
    Wyr

Have Manual on the way . need info on installing gas checks and sizing the bullets been looking in the lyman catalog can i use this press for that also

A lee bullet sizer and cake cutter lubing is probably the cheapest route for the bullets - just push the check on then size.
    As to dies, the 310 dies will work with 7/8 to "5/8" adapters -- but - the 310/tru-line dies only neck size -- not necessarily a problem with brass used in the same bolt gun.

Boolit Grand Master

That's one great friend! Yes, you can use those dies with adapters. If it is cost effective is the question. eBay is an excellent source of dies, most of my multiple sets have come from there.

What guns are you shooting? If only one for each caliber neck sizing is not a problem as long as the brass fits your gun initially. If you are reloading brass originally shot from your gun not a problem short term. Eventually you may need to full length size some of it. If a lever or auto you will need to full length size each time.

How deeply do you expect to get and how deep are your pockets? Pan lubing (cake cutter) and the Lee size dies will be the cheapest and, if you are only shooting infrequently, very adequate. If you shoot more than infrequently you will begin to want something quicker, that can lube and size in one operation. Now you are looking at the Lyman/RCBS lube sizer as the next most cost effective. If you are going to cast and load for pistol competition a Star may be in your future.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

most are for 30-30 Marlins and all different Bolt actions 30-06s .
    also a ? on Molds what would be a good one for 30-06 or would one just buy the Bullets .
    . How deep I am going to get ? My Buddys are going to chip in .
    I want to do it right the first time & when I am done I will pass it on to the Son.
    What about the Lee 3 die sets 30-30 & 30-06 ,sizer for gas checks

Boolit Grand Master

Lee sets are different, some hate them and some love them. I have RCBS, Hornaday, Lyman, CH4D, and probably more that I can't think of now. I have some Lee sets, too. I prefer Hornaday or RCBS because of how they handle the deprime pin. If RCBS makes a Cowboy set for the 30-30 that's what I would get, they are optimized for boolits.

There are a plethora of choices of molds for the .30 calibers. The Marlins typically like larger boolits, you should slug your barrels - try the new search function and see how it works! You typically do not want a pointed boolit so usually a boolit for the 30-06 will work in the 30-30 and vice versa, but there are exceptions.

The 06 is a great boolit cartridge, just don't try to load it like a bullet. That long neck is an advantage.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!