Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you are wondering if Adams & Bennett barrels will shoot.....

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Jester, I didn't want to quote you on public forum.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 Adams and Bennett barrels and 1 Shaw barrel. The A and B were all shooters from the start. The shaw took several rds before it started taking shape.
    Considering the price I'm quite pleased with all of them!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Thanks Jester, I didn't want to quote you on public forum.
    Well Tim I Kinda Got the THUD of a Hint lol.

And by the way in my own dumb opinion lol. They do skimp on a few things with there barrels due to the price point being the final sand of the exterior of the barrel and the bluing job.

That is part of the reason that when I had Dan build my .358 Winchester Savage I asked him to Duracoat it for me. As it is a good protective and worry free finish if done correctly.

I am also in the process of committing sacrilege lol. I am sending my 35 Whelen back to him and at this point I am heavily thinking of having the barrel cut from 24" down to 22" and install the Muzzle Brake by Brownells as the barrel is long enough as it is. And the Muzzle Brake will add about 2 1/2" to the length and ask him to ream the chamber from 35 Whelen to 35 Whelen AI. The Sacrilege part is that it will be used for only Jacketed rounds. And coat it with a Satin Black Duracoat finish.

But do not loose Heart lol. My 358 Winchester and my Marlin 1895 GS in 45-70 will be my go to Cast Bullet Rifles.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 11-13-2012 at 02:46 AM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned
    They certainly do skimp on the blueing...all of the A&B barrels I've bought have been in the white.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    A&B is a Midway name. Many were made by E.R.Shaw. As far as I know E.R.Shaw stopped producing barrels mostly for Midway to market as A&B barrels due to there cost VS sales to Midway. That is why now at Midway it will say E.R.Shaw and Not A&B.

So the short answer is Yes A&B is E.R.Shaw
    Was just checking Midway and they are listed as A&B

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    Was just checking Midway and they are listed as A&B
    Kinda like those Weatherby vanguards that look just like cheap Japanese Howa 1500s?

Do a Google search for Adams & Bennett. You will find nothing but MidwayUSA links and a few other distributors.

Here is a quote from this link that Google came up with:
    http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/3954874/1
    Here is the reply from Larry Potterfield to my question.

Under the terms of our contract, I am not allowed to reveal which major American barrel maker makes these for us. The Adams and Bennett brand was created a number of years ago to help us sell more Fajen stocks. With a reasonable price upgrade, we were looking to get more people involved in my passion, hobby gunsmithing. The line has been a great seller for us ever since. I am confident you will be happy with the performance of the barrels, and urge you to read some of the customer reviews on the website. We only edit them for foul language and the like, so if a review is bad it still gets posted. I think you will like what you see.

Thanks For Your Business,

Larry Potterfield

CEO

MidwayUSA
    NRA Benefactor Member

Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:45 PM
    To: Presidential Customer Comments
    Subject: Adams & Bennett Rifle Barrels

I have question . Who makes the Adams & Bennett barrel for your company?

Thanks,

Bob

I've had great results with the A&B barrels I've used, they've all been great shooters. On a couple, I used the Tubb's bore polishing bullets; accuracy didn't change a lot, but the bore fouling just about disappeared. (Those really do just polish, they aren't really "lapping" the bore.)

goodsteel, sounds like there's something wrong with your sizing die, the neck shouldn't be tapered. Never mind what the shoulder diameter does, just back the die out a little bit from where it touches the shoulder, so the neck has a small ring that locates the round in the chamber. Even if the neck in the die is tapered, if it's sizing it down far enough, pulling the brass back over the expander button should make the case neck straight. If the die doesn't size it down far enough, it's a bad die.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    I am also in the process of committing sacrilege lol. I am sending my 35 Whelen back to him and at this point I am heavily thinking of having the barrel cut from 24" down to 22" and install the Muzzle Brake by Brownells as the barrel is long enough as it is. And the Muzzle Brake will add about 2 1/2" to the length and ask him to ream the chamber from 35 Whelen to 35 Whelen AI.
    Sounds just like my Rem 700! The 35 Whelen AI in a 22" tube with a brake is a sweet setup. Load that up with the 225gr Nosler Partition, and it's pretty hard to beat. Mild recoil and tons of power!

If you're into paper patching for smokeless loads, this is a pretty powerful setup too, although you'll probably have to take the brake off. In mine, I've been able to push a 250gr paper patched Mountain Molds bullet over 2800 fps, with better accuracy than any of my jacketed loads. (Lower bore friction allows higher velocity than jacketed loads.) That's getting off topic a little though...

I just wish they'd make some unchambered blanks with Series 2 mauser threads in .30 caliber.

Boolit Grand Master

goodsteel, sounds like there's something wrong with your sizing die, the neck shouldn't be tapered.
    Well, it's not going to be an issue anymore cause I bought the last Redding neck sizing die that Grafs had. We in business now!
    I've been able to push a 250gr paper patched Mountain Molds bullet over 2800 fps, with better accuracy than any of my jacketed loads. (Lower bore friction allows higher velocity than jacketed loads.) That's getting off topic a little though...
    On the contrary, I would be very interested in knowing exactly what boolit you used to get these good results with PP loads.I am going to be heading that way myself this summer I think. I've got a pile of papers cut and ready to go. I'm just pondering which boolit to go with.

I just wish they'd make some unchambered blanks with Series 2 mauser threads in .30 caliber.
    I don't understand. Why not just buy the blank and thread it to whatever series you like?
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 11-15-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post

On the contrary, I would be very interested in knowing exactly what boolit you used to get these good results with PP loads.I am going to be heading that way myself this summer I think. I've got a pile of papers cut and ready to go. I'm just pondering which boolit to go with.
    Well, in that case: That Mountain Molds bullet is one I got a pile of from member "arcticbreeze". I've been meaning to measure it and order a mold like this of my own; I can do so if you want. The meplat is a bit large for long distance performance (poor b.c.) but it shoots so well, I'm not sure I'd change anything. In these pictures, the Mountain Mold bullet is bare, next to the lubed/checked Saeco 352. The 352 is also a good bullet, but doesn't shoot nearly as well as that MM 250 in my rifle.

I used Reloader 15 to push this bullet to 2800 fps, don't know if that powder would be ideal in your 358 but it's about perfect in the Whelen AI. For paper patching, I made up a template which I print out on regular printer paper, and cut along the lines with a paper cutter. I wrap wet, on the unsized bullet, then push them through a Lee sizer die polished to .360". I'd be happy to share the template, if I can find it. It's a word document.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd be happy to share the template, if I can find it. It's a word document.
    Go ahead and post it in the smokeless paper patching section. I dont personally need it because I use a process of my own, and I already have a pretty good stack of papers cut exactly right. Not only that, but I use green bar paper, and that would have to be cut just to get it in the printer.
    However, there are many shooters that would benefit from your template if you would be so kind as to post it up for the education of the forum.

I am glad to see your boolit has a FN on it. I slapped eyes on it and got a devious grin because I know that Tom will have no trouble duplicating that boolit.

Goodsteel, I've put many Adams and Bennett barrels on guns over the years and I am continually amazed at how well they shoot. While its true they arent benchrest quality, they are quality enough that most people will be more than pleased with them. Many people are into "project" guns and they want to do it on the cheap. The A&D barrels work well for them. They seem to work really well on the Mauser type rifles that people sporterize. While I am not a fan of butchering up a piece of history,the ones that were sporterized a long time ago can and do benefit from barrel swapouts.

A few weeks ago I rebarreld a Mauser to a .243. I chambered it and then had AJ PRice reblue if for my customer. That thing came out as pretty as any Mauser you've ever seen. The best part was when he called me up to tell me how well it shot, he was more than pleased with it.

While A&D barrels arent the best on the market, they aint exactly the worst either. There is a lot of bang there for the buck.
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master

I have bought a lot of A&B barrels and top brand name barrels. The A&B barrels have shot just as good as the top name ones.

Larry